Author Topic: Len Mason's "Mastiff" - chewed from the solid  (Read 55369 times)

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
Re: Len Mason's "Mastiff" - chewed from the solid
« Reply #135 on: June 04, 2018, 09:03:58 AM »
Moving forwards with the build but backwards on the engine I finished off the group of components that mount on the crankshaft behind the rear main bearing. These are a little oil thrower, a cover, the flywheel, flywheel collet nut and washer and the starting pulley.The flywheel was from a stub of 3" FCMS that only needed skimming to thickness and cleaning up on the diameter. After that I set over the top slide to 5 degrees for machining the mounting hole and collet:

and machined the collet from bar stock:

With the top slide now back to parallel I dug out the grove in the flywheel face by alternating between a trepanning tool and a boring bar:

The starting pulley came from an Al stub and the Diamond tool holders, and the 4-jaw SC chuck, really shine at this sort of job:

after boring to size the part went onto an expanding mandrel to finish the outer diameters and cut the cord groove:

and lastly the mounting holes and cord hooks:

Most of the original billet ended up like:

plus a bucket full of smaller swarf.

The little family:

The tapped holes in the flywheel serve both to fasten the starting pulley and for use with a simple puller if the wheel gets too tight on the taper collet.

All screwed together on the engine:

The next jobs are to make the manifolds and smooth off the cylinder blocks and heads.

David
Don't die wondering!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2018, 07:41:40 PM »
Coming along well  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: Plenty of swarf  :)
Best regards

Roger

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #137 on: June 26, 2018, 12:18:24 AM »
I'm just getting up to speed on this build.  Great looking project  :ThumbsUp: and another opportunity to make mountains of swarf.  Looking forward to successive posts.  :popcorn:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #138 on: June 26, 2018, 12:38:18 AM »
Yep. I'm looking forward to the next post.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #139 on: June 26, 2018, 03:04:34 AM »
Craig, Roger and Zee - thanks for the encouragement, it really helps to know that people are following along!

The two manifolds (combined inlet and exhaust) didn't generate anything like as much swarf in volume but there were a lot of little bits of Al stuck to the mill with WD40. Also some little bits of carbide from the two 2 mm cutters that died in the first attempt at the fins.

Here is what I was aiming for:

The exported images from Alibre aren't the best so I've attached a .pdf as well.

The manifolds started as two bits of unknown alloy which turned out to be both soft and sticky. After milling to size and turning the exhaust outlets the bits looked like:

Note the labelling, handed pieces like these have caught me out in the past!  The various passages were drilled or milled to size:

The burrs raised by the cutters seemed to be work-hardened as it was difficult to get rid of them without damaging the remaining surface. The exhaust passages were connected via cross-drillings that needed blanking plugs in brass:

With these fitted temporarily the bits were ready for the fins to be cut. On the starboard one you can see where the card that was supposed to be protecting the work from the chuck jaws has slipped without me noticing:

Drawing the fins in the computer was easy, cutting them required more work than I anticipated. Its no use the shop floor cursing the drawing office here!
The first plan was to run a 2 mm cutter (of a type advertised for working ally) in the Aciera high speed head and make quick passes, first to clear the middle then each side to form the slopes.  In less awkward material this might work but the fine swarf just clogged the cut and wouldn't wash out quickly enough. Two cutters later I decided to make a form tool.

This came out of gauge plate and the teeth were formed with the Aciera dividing head driven from the stepper motor system I described in an earlier post:

After an early scare the vice was added to make sure the work couldn't slip on the mandrel and 14 teeth roughed out with a 6 mm ball-ended cutter:

and the major backing off done:

Based on previous experience the steel was left un-hardened. The tips were ground with an 8 degree rake but the sides were left alone. Three 1 mm deep cuts followed by two at 0.5 got each fin groove to depth without drama. The lack of relief on the sides of the cutter meant that the finish wasn't perfect but was acceptable:

The blanking plugs have been fixed with JB Weld and I can move on to tidying up the blocks and heads to their final external  shapes.

David

Don't die wondering!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #140 on: June 26, 2018, 10:57:18 AM »
Good to see more progress on this David  - excellent swarf making  :D and real nice work on that cutter with a good result too :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Is this going to be too heavy to bring on your next trip over ? - just musing of course  ;)

Any news on the Corliss?

Regards - Tug

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #141 on: June 26, 2018, 12:10:59 PM »
Thanks Ramon, any cooling fins designed in the future are likely to use that form cutter. If necessary it might even get hardened but I'd back off the sides before doing that. However, by eye at least, there isn't any wear so far.

Currently Mastiff weighs in at 3.4 kg (just popped it onto the kitchen scales) and almost all of the heavy bits are already there so weight won't be a problem. More of a problem is with being able to guarantee (to the airlines) that an engine that has been run is free of flammables. If anyone who has done this has comments I'd like to hear them - I may be making a mountain out of a Mastiff.

Nothing at all from Bob P - might have to jog his memory.

Regards, David
Don't die wondering!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #142 on: June 26, 2018, 01:01:51 PM »
That cutter did a fine job David!  A little fine sanding should clean up any surface imperfections though they don't show in the pictures. Very nice!!

Bill

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #143 on: June 26, 2018, 01:21:50 PM »
Thanks Bill, I can try sanding and there may be other methods (chemical etching??).

I'm still not sure what the final finish on the whole engine will be, the manifolds might take a coat of matt black high temp paint which would hide the slight roughness but I'm not sure it would stick well enough. Automotive engine block enamel might do the trick for the rest of the engine. The only full size engine I've seen that was anything like Mastiff was a Coventry Climax flat four in a speed boat that was painted green, probably from a 1940's or 50's firepump.

Regards, David
Don't die wondering!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #144 on: June 26, 2018, 02:19:23 PM »
Hi David - hadn't thought about the 'flammables' part especially getting it back in to Aus  :-\

Re finishing - are you aware of the abrasive filled rubber blocks? Initially made by 'Garryflex' similar products are made by others now. Four grades - coarse, med, fine and super fine, in combination with wet and dry paper and paraffin they work extremely well on putting a nice smooth finish on ali without producing a polished 'shine'

A search of 'Garryflex Blocks' will soon find you some ;)

Regards - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #145 on: June 26, 2018, 03:49:37 PM »
Looking good, I really like the fin cutter.  :ThumbsUp:

I don't think you need worry too much about side relief. As soon as the tooth moves upwards and out of the slot then you've got relief anyway. It looks a pretty rigid setup; being lazy I think I'd have tried cutting the fins in one pass?

Andrew

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #146 on: June 27, 2018, 12:19:13 AM »
Ramon - thanks for the hint re Garryflex. So far I've only found them listed as "Out of Stock" with the local industrial suppliers, will keep searching as they sound like something worth trying. One finish I really don't want is "shiny".

Andrew, glad you like it! Yes, I agree about the side relief, but I suspect that the slight scoring on the side surfaces may have been from swarf being trapped. I don't have flood coolant on the mill which would probably solve this. The little Aciera F3 is stiff enough for small things but it is very old and has some wear; I chose the depth of by the amount of vibration I could tolerate.  On a Bridgeport I'm pretty sure a single pass would work.

David
Don't die wondering!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #147 on: June 27, 2018, 02:23:51 AM »
David,
You're making great progress. I wouldn't have made the cutter myself. But then my Tormach has much different limitations than your Aciera. Mine would be the stiffness of the (Praxis) high speed attachment. Great work.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #148 on: June 27, 2018, 02:48:48 AM »
Thanks Art, I love the Aciera but I envy you the Tormach! I doubt I'll be able to justify the cost of any of their products but a conversion of my Sieg X3 is on the list of things to do.

Regards, David
Don't die wondering!

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #149 on: June 27, 2018, 05:21:44 AM »
David,
The Tormach was investment I made after my mom passed away. Otherwise I'd have looked at other alternatives. I have made upgrades so it's now considered a series II. When I got it home and found out what the high speed spindle kit was I never used it till I was working on VAL. Should have done that earlier. :wallbang: 20,000 rpm with a 1/16th end mill makes a lot more things possible. At some point I'd like to get the newer speeder spindle that will use an ER series collet, and a cutter larger than 1/16 shank endmill. The best thing about CNC is that I can machine parts I don't have the ability to do otherwise, like what George does. My die maker friend says, oh that's  simple geometry. Never was that good with math.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal