Author Topic: Upshur Farm Engine Timing Gears  (Read 1209 times)

Offline rick41

Upshur Farm Engine Timing Gears
« on: October 08, 2021, 11:30:55 PM »
I am building an Upshur Farm Engine from the plans presented in the "Strictly IC" now defunct magazine. I decided to build this engine from materials laying around my workshop.  Not wanting to spend a fortune on gears I thought about making gears, but after a lot of reading and thinking, I gave it up.  In searching the internet, I found a source of inexpensive gears.  The model race car guys seem to have every ratio imaginable.  I purchased two gears from Amain Hobbies for a total of less than $14 including shipping.  The 30 tooth gear is aluminum and the 60 tooth gear is a composite. It was a simple matter to bore the gears and install the cam and bushings (loctite and JB weld).  I have attached photos of the finished gears.  The mesh perfectly and I anticipate no problems with them.  Rick

Offline RReid

• Northern California
Re: Upshur Farm Engine Timing Gears
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2021, 12:50:14 AM »
Those look like a good option, especially at that price! Thanks for the tip!
Regards,
Ron

Offline mikehinz

Re: Upshur Farm Engine Timing Gears
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 05:38:39 PM »
Thanks for the tip on where to get gears.  I'd never thought about hobby model suppliers as a source for gears. 

I do have a question though.  I looked through the Amain Hobby site and I can see the DP and tooth count specified, but I couldn't find anything about the face width.  Is there a way to find that or figure that dimension out?

Thanks!

Mike
MIke
Wichita, KS, USA

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal