Author Topic: Building the Potty Grasshopper engine.  (Read 23799 times)

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Re: Building the Potty Grasshopper engine.
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2017, 08:58:16 AM »
Thanks everyone, I really enjoyed making this and it's very satisfying to see it running  :)

I can thoroughly recommend Stew Harts 'Potty' series of engines for anyone new to this hobby or with limited equipment, this is the 2nd of his engines I have built and both were reasonably easy to build but run well.

Peter.

Online Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2017, 10:30:35 AM »
Well done Peter, a nice looking engine and good runner.

I'll second the recommendation for Stew's designs, I've built his Vertical Cross engine based on the same cylinder and valve which turned out very well.

Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Offline mechman48

• Retired maint.Eng.
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2017, 11:09:07 AM »
Super job Peter.

I'm in the process of building Stewarts Vertical cross engine at the moment, had some awkward moments with the valve chest drilling but seem to have sorted it  :thinking:

George.
George.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2017, 12:35:48 PM »
Thanks guys, I've had it running a few times on steam now and it operates great  :) I'm just doing the finishing touches but will make a short video once it's completed.

George - I don't know if you have yet made the 'dogbone' spool valve but what I do is make one to the correct measurements then make another 2 or 3 with very slight differences - it's a 30 sec job in the lathe to turn a few spools and they cost next to nothing but you may find one works better than the others.  Well that's what I found anyway  ;)

Peter

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal