Author Topic: In the cellar  (Read 4281 times)

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
In the cellar
« on: September 09, 2016, 01:17:17 PM »
Some time in the past our house had a two-storey extention added at the back. The builder couldn't work out what to do with a 6 ft wide space against the old back wall so he poured a concrete floor, ran the plumbing from upstairs down the walls, added a tiny window and left it at that. The size isn't ideal for a workshop but it serves me well. There is room for a fitting bench, 260 mm swing lathe, small mill (more on that later) plus most of my tooling and work holding bits. The land is sloping so elder son and I dug back under the house and made a cellar space that holds the grinders, brazing bench, heat treatment furnace, chop saw, wine etc. When the outside air temperature gets to the low 40s (Celcius) this is the coolest place in the house (as if I needed and excuse!).

Like everything else I've done in model engineering the set of equipment has developed over more than 40 years. The lathe is the third in the series, the mill (ancient Aciera F3 with lots of goodies) also the third but in this case I've held on to the older machines.

When the Aciera came I sold on the existing pillar drill and kept the Sieg X3 which makes an excellent drilling machine even if a bit limited as a mill. This isn't meant as a criticism, the X3 was good value at the price but there just isn't any substitute for mass of cast iron. The X3 weighs 68 kg, the basic Aciera is 450 kg before adding any attachments, up to 600 kg fully kitted out.

The Hercus 260 is a one of the many Southbend clones but with a bit of later independant development behind it. Mine is a high speed version with a hardened bed. The hardening allowed it to survive a career in a technical high school with virtually no bed wear, plenty of little chips out but none of any consequence. I know I really should repaint this but can't bring myself to dismantle a piece of kit that is working so well (OK, I'm also lazy and don't like painting).

I've attached some pictures to this topic but I think the Aciera deserves one of its own later to show off its versatility; I'll take more pictures for that.

Regards, DT
Don't die wondering!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: In the cellar
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 01:32:39 PM »
 :headscratch: How did you get the Herc in there.

When the Aciera came I sold on the existing pillar drill and kept the Sieg X3 which makes an excellent drilling machine even if a bit limited as a mill. This isn't meant as a criticism, the X3 was good value at the price but there just isn't any substitute for mass of cast iron. The X3 weighs 68 kg, the basic Aciera is 450 kg before adding any attachments, up to 600 kg fully kitted out.

68Kg  :lolb: that's less than Sexy weighs without his cabinet. Yep use it as a drilling machine hopefully it can't go wrong for that :ThumbsUp:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 10:41:18 PM »
That's an efficient use of a small space.  I think I'd be bumping my head on a few things, though.

That's odd.  My Sieg X3 mill weighs 353 pounds or 160 kg, not a heavy weight for sure, but a decent mass for a benchtop machine.

Cheers,
Phil
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 10:48:27 PM by philjoe5 »
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 11:49:06 PM »
I had finger trouble with the weight of the X3 - should have been 168kg
Sorry, DT
Don't die wondering!

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 12:16:25 AM »
DT,
Better to have "finger trouble" at the keyboard rather than in the shop :Lol:

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 12:28:00 AM »
Thanks for the pictures DT. As others have said, you are naking the most of the space available.

Bill

Offline deltatango

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 01:39:49 AM »
The Hercus went in seperated from its stand and with the motor removed to improve the balance for lifting. The rest of the formula included an engine crane, chain block, 4-wheel dolly and a friend who used to play in the front row of the scrum. I think we also had to take the door off its hinges to make room for turning but still needed a few shunts. Getting the F3 in later was more of a challenge and this had to be pulled apart - see picture.

Yup, still got all my fingers. I long ago convinced Sue that when I removed my wedding ring to go to the workshop there isn't anything sinister in this, just a desire to keep all my fingers.

Cheers, DT
Don't die wondering!

Offline Joco

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 06:25:49 AM »
An impressive use of space.  Inspires me to do better with what I have.   :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 06:39:42 AM by Joco »
James
Wellington - NZ

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 01:27:24 PM »
Hey DT,

The Aciera's a just marvels!   I have a very well equipped F1....and it's close to 300 pounds....

Nice looking shop!!!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 02:50:43 PM »
Nice shop.

Reminds me of another well known small shop: http://www.clickspringprojects.com/blog/archives/03-2015

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal