Author Topic: Holdridge Radius Cutter  (Read 12033 times)

Offline petertha

Re: Holdridge Radius Cutter
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2016, 07:46:38 PM »
Maybe my height adjustability question isn't real clear. For example, can you tweak the inner frame (or post) in the upper area (yellow)?
...but the tool bit itself is locked in & non adjustable centering wise?

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2016, 09:50:01 PM »
I'll get to the other questions in a day or so. The inner frame adjusts to center the cutting tool via a recessed screw under the bottom pivot point.
Best,
Stan

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 11:02:48 PM »
Yep, Stan's right. The big one I used years ago had to be shimmed/packed to approximate height on the cross slide/compound
then fine adjustment was with the screw in the bottom of the frame.

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline petertha

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2016, 07:33:32 PM »
Stan, eyeballing the 0.5" shank, I'm guessing those are DCMT inserts, maybe 1/4" inscribed circle (21.5 series)? I'm about to do the same myself. I have 32.5 inserts for lathe tooling but they look too big. Any words of wisdom on the insert pocket milling setup? That must have been a pretty teeny diameter end mill judging by the extending relief on the inboard end?

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2016, 08:00:54 PM »
Honestly, I do not remember which end mill I used. I'll look at the tool holder and see what fits. Possibly .0625. I'll check tomorrow.
Best,
Stan

Offline petertha

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2016, 10:52:18 PM »
On closer inspection a 32.5 DCMT does seem to work & maybe bigger is better. I realized there is some possible wiggle room adjusting the Holdridge frame/post up & down a bit to compensate the insert top to spindle center. I don't necessarily have to match the original Holdridge carbide insert right to the thou. A 32.5 would make my life simpler if I could utilize the ones I have. This pic shows with insert in and assuming a 2mm EM making the pocket & extended cut to clear the nose. That's how some of my lathe tooling looks.

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2016, 02:38:30 AM »
Agreed. A perfect match isn't necessary. No reason it won't work if you can get the height correct. As long as it's on center it's all good.
Best,
Stan

Offline Wabeco D6000E

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2016, 05:15:41 PM »
One thing to know about sharpening the stock bits that came with it:  In the case, yours in the first pictures, is a sharpening jig it is standing on end next to that index wheel with the numbers on it.  Put the bit in there and tighten the allen screw.  The flats are cut at 20 degrees and you just take that to your sharpening wheel to true them up.

The Holdridge comes with its own bit sharpening jig in the box.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2016, 05:40:20 PM »
Wabeco, glad to have you join the fun here and the discussions. Please take a moment to put an introduction in the "Introduce yourself" section so that we can learn more about you and your modeling interests and welcome you properly!!

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2016, 01:28:27 PM »
Wabeco
I'd wondered what that was. I did sharpen a few of the carbides on the Deckel and that worked but with all of its angle adjustments the jig would have been quicker. Thanks.
Best,
Stan

Offline Wabeco D6000E

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2016, 01:43:50 PM »
I didn't know what it was either but then I saw a youtube with someone using it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal