Author Topic: Need help choosing my first casting set to build  (Read 5451 times)

Offline AOG

Need help choosing my first casting set to build
« on: August 31, 2016, 04:04:55 PM »
It's time. I have now made enough engines from bar stock to attempt an engine from castings. I've narrowed the choices down to three (all of which I have ageing in my casting closet). They are the PM Research 2A, the Stuart oscillator and the Reeves Popular vertical engine. I am looking for people's experiences with these kits and which on they think would be the best "first casting set".

Thanks

Tony

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Need help choosing my first casting set to build
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 06:03:18 PM »
Sorry Tony, I don't know any of these casting sets  :-[

They all have very similar challenges the biggest will be holding the stand to machine it but the stands all look strong enough to take a bash if things don't go to plan :facepalm2:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 07:12:26 PM »
Hi Tony. I can tell you that the PM Research 2A was the first engine I built of any kind, from casting set or otherwise. I built it using a Taig lathe with vertical slide milling attachment. Mine runs well and the paint job is perhaps its biggest flaw. I'm afraid I can't speak to the others you mention. Are they aluminum like the PM 2A? I would consider that a plus for the first-timer.

--Tim

Offline K.B.C

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 08:31:53 PM »
It's time. I have now made enough engines from bar stock to attempt an engine from castings. I've narrowed the choices down to three (all of which I have ageing in my casting closet). They are the PM Research 2A, the Stuart oscillator and the Reeves Popular vertical engine. I am looking for people's experiences with these kits and which on they think would be the best "first casting set".

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,
Here is the link to a Stuart "V" twin oscillating engine   ( http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,36088.0.html  ) this engine was built by an Old friend of mine Mick Brown ( desceased ) , as a Patternmaker to trade he made his own pattern and had the main frame cast and did the build log before he passed away.
I have built the Stuart "V" twin and can recommend it,  can't comment on the others that you list.

It makes a fine model, the drillings are a bit tricky but take your time before drilling, they run very well at low pressure, 10 - 25 P.S.I.  2- pics of my engine.

George.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 08:37:25 PM by K.B.C »
Your never too old to learn.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 08:39:29 PM »
My vote is for the PMR 2A. Fairly priced, and the best part is if you screw up a casting they will have a replacement for you at a modest charge and you can get it quickly!! Great people to work with.

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 08:47:43 PM »
:embarassed:

I believe that Tony already has all three casting sets  8)

Jo

Offline AOG

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 08:59:08 PM »
Jo is correct. I already have all three engines in question. (And the Stuart V twin for that matter) I'm just trying to decide which would make the best "baby's first casting set" for me. The great closet of castings has many secrets hidden away awaiting  my ability to build them  :paranoia:.

Tony

Offline Woodguy

• Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 09:14:42 PM »
I have no experience with any of those casting sets, but I will say that your approach to castings is very sound.  Have you fondled them sufficiently?

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2016, 09:33:04 PM »
Oops, I missed that detail. But my vote is still for the PMR 2a.

Bill

Offline AOG

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2016, 09:45:26 PM »
Bill right now I'm leaning towards the PMR 2A because it's aluminum. The other 2 appear to be gunmetal. I have to say I lack the self control to fondle my castings. When I get a new set I look at them and then deposit them quickly into the closet of castings before I get too attached. I eventually want my closet of castings to be as big as Jo's but I have a ways to go.

Tony

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2016, 09:56:10 PM »
I believe that fondling is a very important stage of making engines from castings  :embarassed:

By comparing the castings with the drawings it enables you to understand where and how much extra metal is on each casting in a set, identifying what can be machined off and how much you need to keep in any direction, then you can plan how to machine them.

My only comment on Ali castings is that they are not as easy to "fix" as other materials. But I am looking into techniques to fix even these   ;)

Jo

Offline AOG

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2016, 11:20:12 PM »
I opened up the PM 2A to perform some casting fondling per Jo's recommended process and I found something I interesting.

The print is an actual Diazo print. I haven't seen one of those since the mid nineties. I think the decision is now made. PM 2A it is. Thanks for all the input.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline kvom

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2016, 11:33:56 PM »
One criterion to your choice could be which castings have "extra" material to possibly compensate for booboos.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2016, 12:51:54 AM »
Indeed you do. Not sure all of us combined can catch up to Jo's stash of castings.  :LittleDevil:

Bill

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2016, 12:58:41 AM »
Castings can be classed as very rough pre machined barstock without the chucking piece left on!! it would be good to get castings that have this extra material as it makes them very much easier to machine. Using castings actually requires lots of bar stock to make the jigs to hold the parts ! rather than just chucking the bar stock. When i first starting reading model engineer in 1962, before my first lathe i was always a bit confused by LBSC's instructions to " chuck a piece of 3/8 brass" Naively i wondered, chuck it where ?   !!! Just a few comments........which side of the pond are you...? this will also decide on what new castings can be acquired . here in blighty it is which side of the river.....word has it there are lots south of the river where the taxi drivers don't go !! i think it is near Guildford !!
Willy.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal