Author Topic: Interesting article about the advent of early welded boilers  (Read 2634 times)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Interesting article about the advent of early welded boilers
« on: August 23, 2016, 05:49:39 PM »
One of my colleagues was circulating this article today so though I would share it. It talks about the early trials with welded boiler construction and the development of the early standards for that construction, all things we take for granted today.

Bill

Offline philjoe5

Re: Interesting article about the advent of early welded boilers
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2016, 08:26:33 PM »
Bill,
Very interesting article indeed and thanks for sharing this

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 12:37:40 AM »
Hard to imagine a time when arc welding was unproven cutting edge technology isn't it Phil, but the same can be said of powered flight,  wireless ( no not cell phones), electrification, and so many other things. I can only imagine what our kids and grandkids will look back on and marvel at someday.

Bill

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 01:31:51 AM »
Hi Phil,
 Thanks for posting this! As Bill said we've come a long way in short time! The last place I worked we were told that the steam drum was the largest (in length) in the Southern Hemisphere......never did find out if it was true or not, but hay at 100 bar operating pressure it was always treated with respect! It's been in service for 33 years now, it must be getting close to end of life!

Have passed a copy on to my son the mechanical engineer.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 02:50:10 AM »
I can only imagine what our kids and grandkids will look back on and marvel at someday.

Bill,
I honestly think that some of them will look at hit-n-miss and steam engines and marvel at how clever folks were 100 years ago.  At least, the insightful ones will 8)

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal