Author Topic: AOG's version of the Liney RV-1  (Read 5532 times)

Offline AOG

AOG's version of the Liney RV-1
« on: August 19, 2016, 03:41:22 PM »
With the beam engine completed, it's time to start a new build. I have decided to build the Liney RV-1.

(Picture from www.minicastings.com)

To make life interesting my lathe motor driver let out the smoke so I am currently one of the unlathed. I am going to do as much as I can on the mill until I get my lathe fixed. Lets get started. First I squared up and faced the base plate.

Next I drilled and countersunk the mounting holes for the bearings and valve block.

Then a slot was milled for the flywheel.

It appears from the plans (and picture) that the flywheel will extend below the bottom of the base plate so I added additional holes to the design for some standoffs.

That completes the base plate. The next parts were the bearings. Each bearing was squared up and sized withheld help of a vise stop.

Then the mounting holes were drilled and tapped.

Next the bearings were flipped on their sides and the shaft holes were drilled and reamed.

Then the holes were counterbored per the plans to reduce friction.

That should complete the bearings but in this case it didn't. I misread the prints and used the wrong size bar stock. The first ones I made were interfering with the flywheel hole so I had to completely remake the bearings. Till next time

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: AOG's version of the Liney RV-1
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 05:12:45 PM »
Wonderful Tony, a new one to follow along on. This is a nice little design too and makes a very attractive model. Looking forward to it. Hope you get the lathe back in service soon too.

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 01:22:23 AM »
Beautiful start,Tony. A really fun build
FYI
Two RV-1 builds here

Bill Lindsey's
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,2254.0.html

Mine
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,2652.0.html
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 01:33:37 AM »
Tony, something you might consider. I anchored everything to the base plate from the underside which left the heads of the SHCS's sticking out beneath the base. Rather than using the feet though I 3D printed a base which included holes for the SHCS heads to fit into and a cutout for the flywheel too. Thus far I have never made a wooden base for it and it still sits atop the 3D printed base as shown in the picture below. I did end up painting the spokes of the flywheel maroon/burgundy and the milled slots in the main brass part dark green. Guess I never posted any pics after the painting but it did make it look a bit better. Now I should go back and polish up the brass better as well. Too many projects, too little time at the moment though. Just some ideas to consider.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 03:48:04 AM »
Looks like a good start Tony.

I just ordered the plans and will be following along as you do this build. I'll also be checking out Bill and Stan's builds as this goes along.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline AOG

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 06:27:04 PM »
Thanks everyone. Bill I'm using countersunk screws so the only thing that should hang below is the flywheel. The plan is to thread the Corian base and make some 1/2 inch long stand offs from hex stock. my new lathe motor controller board came in so I hope to have the lathe working again by the end of the weekend. Then I'll get back to it.

Tony

Offline AOG

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 04:55:04 PM »
Ok time to get this build log updated. The next part to be machined is the valve block. I started by squaring up the block.

The block came out .018 inch undersized  but I will adjust the other dimensions to match. Next the valve bore was drilled and reamed.

I designated one side as the bottom and drilled and tapped the mounting holes.

As you can see from the picture, I screwed up the placement of one of the holes (forgot to account for the edge finder radius). So I plugged it and drilled  it in the correct spot. If I can digress for a moment, this is where experience from all of those Elmer's engines comes into play. A year or two ago I would have freaked out and restarted the part. In this case I'm used to drilling air passages in Elmer's engines and then plugging the end. I drilled out the hole to 1/8 (my smallest rod stock), put in the plug with 638, file flat and redrill. It may not sound like much but it's nice to be able to save the piece. Anyway, the part was flipped and the intake drilled and tapped.

Next the part was oriented top down and I milled the fins. The observant will notice that I changed the orientation on the fins to be parallel to the valve bore. I did it for esthetic reasons to provide visual separation to the cylinders.

To complete the part the exhaust port was drilled and reamed.

With the valve block completed and my lathe running again I started the valve spool. The block was turned to the major dimension and parted off.

While I had the stock in the chuck I made the two spacers by drilling and reaming the center hole and parting them off.

With those done I chucked up the valve blank and drilled the center hole half way.

Then the end was taken to final dimension.

The part was flipped and the process repeated. Then it was over to the mill to drill the cross holes.

That completes the valve spindle for now the final holes will be drilled on assembly. That's all for this installment.
Till next time.

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2016, 05:56:36 PM »
More nice progress Tony, You are making fast work of this one and it looks great so far. One comment which you probably know, make the spool as close a fit to the bore as you possibly can, polished even. If not there will be a lot of air leakage around it on both sides of the block.

Bill
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:01:20 PM by b.lindsey »

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2016, 02:58:14 AM »
Good progress, Tony. I've got my plans in hand and am following along and taking notes.

Also checking out Bill and Stan's builds.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 03:17:45 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2016, 03:28:26 AM »
Tony
Moving along nicely. What Bill said about the fit. I turned mine a hair tight and lapped the fit with TimeSaver.
Best,
Stan

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2016, 03:37:04 AM »
Tony,
 I see you're making use of the ER-32 collet chuck on your lathe. :ThumbsUp:  I use mine all the time with  good results.

Good progress on your engine so far.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline AOG

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2016, 04:52:39 AM »
Thanks everyone. To be honest I'm a little worried about the spool valve seal. We'll see what happens. Phil I have the ER-32 chuck and a 5C chuck. Of the 2 I prefer the ER-32 chuck. It's smaller and the collets have a better grip radius. I only use the 5C when I have stock that's to big for my ER-32.

Tony

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2016, 01:36:47 PM »
Tony
Don't worry about the seal. If you've got a good fit, keeping it oiled will help it seal even better.
Best,
Stan

Offline AOG

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2016, 03:35:47 AM »
Ok time for the next installment. The next parts to be made were the cylinders. I mounted up the self centering four jaw and faced two cylinder blanks to length.

Then I drilled and reamed the bores

Next I flipped the parts and drilled the set screw holes.

Then the blanks were moved to the mill and the cross holes were drilled and reamed.

Back to the lathe to make them round.

Then I decided to put some swoopy chamfers on back side

Then the cylinders were moved to the tapping rig to tap the setscrew hole.

Time to do the pistons. They started off as some square SS bar stock. After cutting them to size I drilled the holes for the crank pins.

Then they were mounted in the lathe and turned to match the cylinders.

Then I used some time saver to lap the pistons and the valve. The next part was the exhaust pipe. A piece of brass stock was drilled part way through.

Then the part was turned down to fit the valve block

The part was then flipped in the chuck and drilled down to meet the other hole.

I think I'll end this with a family shot.

Till next time

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2016, 01:26:49 PM »
Great progress Tony. Just the flywheel and crack disks to go now. 

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal