Author Topic: E. T. Westbury Paddle Engine  (Read 46512 times)

Offline kvom

Re: E. T. Westbury Paddle Engine
« Reply #195 on: August 31, 2016, 10:38:27 PM »
Thanks for the latest video too!!  After 2+ hours or running in, are you able to lower the pressure some now?

Bill
I'm using a Harbor Freight valve and gauge, so accuracy is hard to estimate.  Setting seems to be about 15 psi.  If I move the adjuster so that the valve openings are reduced then air volume is also reduced and speed slows down some.  But I'd like to get it down to about 30 rpm so that the floats aren't just a blur.  One direction runs better than the other.

I did an experiment where I supply air to only one of the engines while they remain coupled.  The port engine can drive both at 20 psi, but the starboard engine needs higher pressure.  So it looks as if one engine is doing the most work at lower pressure and the other is merely helping out a bit.  I suspect that if I can get it to run at 20 psi by itself then together they can run slower.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: E. T. Westbury Paddle Engine
« Reply #196 on: September 01, 2016, 12:39:19 AM »
I have had luck getting engines to run slower by using a needle valve just before the engine to cut the flow down, but keeping the pressure up from the compressor. It does make sticky spots in the rotation show up more too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal