Author Topic: Building the Jan Ridders Mk2 2 cylinder engine  (Read 10112 times)

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
Re: Building the Jan Ridders Mk2 2 cylinder engine
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2018, 12:33:31 PM »
Fast forward to Aug 2016 and there is rampant progress!

:stickpoke:

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.  ;D

Not that I have any place to talk.

Be careful what you ask for, I am ready to catch up on my posting now :-)  :Jester:
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2018, 12:47:41 PM »
Time for some brass work now. I have a horizontal mill so thinking about the setup to do the connecting rods took a while. Since there are 2, I mostly worked on them together, using the 2 holes to keep the pieces aligned. Drill rod is your friend for this :-)
In the process I learned also that I need better clamps for my rotary table, yet-another-tool-to-make added to the list. Laying out the outline was a bit fiddly, a sharp scriber is very necessary to keep the layout blue from chipping.
The pieces were finished off on my ancient scroll saw that converts to a die filer.
Milled slots in the pistons and drilled for wrist pins, then assembled.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2018, 01:06:37 PM »
Hot off the success with the con rods, up are the ends of the gas tank. These pieces have bosses to fit inside the glass tube that servers as the gas tank. More fiddly layout, this time the 2 pieces are kept side-side to hopefully make it easier to grip.
Given that the bosses are circles I thought this was a job for the 4-jaw chuck. Lining up to the centre punch marks went smoothly enough. Some turning, then shift the part and some more turning. Of course in the process I didn't notice that the cutting tool was too wide and took a bit off the one circle but thankfully not enough to require making a new piece. The Boo-boo will be nicely hidden on assembly :-) (But I will add it to Jo's recent thread for posterity)

We are now at March 2018!

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2018, 01:18:08 PM »
Lots of garden work intervened but in June 2018 there is progress again.

During the intermission I started restoring a 1:72 scale model of HMCS Athabaskan (G07) that my father built for himself. He had in 1974/5 built a 1:48 model for the Canadian War Museum. the 1:72 one was badly damaged in 1982 and has sat in a crate since then :-( While doing research etc. I came across http://www.scratchbuildwithjohn.com/ an incredible resource. One of his workshop items is this work stand, it conveniently raises your work to eye level (if sitting at the work bench) or at a great height (if standing at the work bench). Just some wood scraps glued and nailed together with a sacrificial top.

Also during this time I bought at auction a UPT built from castings. This solved a huge problem for me, drilling holes and tapping accurately. My drill press is not great and the horizontal mill precludes most drilling operations. I finally could drill and tap the set screw hole in the flywheel, yippee.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2018, 01:28:33 PM »
It is now Sept 2018 and time to finish the gas tank. There is an air bleed valve on one end, and a decorative air inlet at the other. I milled some brass to size and made up the various pieces. Nothing too challenging except the knurl.
To do the coining I built a cut knurling tool using Guy Lautard's design. (I will post that build elsewhere soon). I am very pleased with the end result!

Offline bent

• Wet side of Washington State, USA
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2018, 04:47:54 PM »
Getting close Gerrit, nice progress!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal