Author Topic: Getting and keeping your vice straight  (Read 16238 times)

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
Re: Getting and keeping your vice straight
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 08:47:39 PM »
I rather agree with Tom on Youtube. My main machine vice is the same Kurt that he shows in the video. My vice gets moved between three milling machines, and not always the same T-slot. While all the slots are nominally 5/8" width they vary a thou or two from machine to machine which means that the registration would be less accurate than I want. I also use the vice parallel to the table for some jobs and sometimes set at an angle.

At least 50% of my jobs don't involve the machine vice at all as it isn't big enough. Without locators on the bottom it can sit most places without damaging the locators or the machine it is sitting on.

So I vote for using an indicator to set the vice. May not be the two seconds mentioned in the video but it's pretty quick to get within one division (0.01mm).

The only items I have that are keyed are the universal dividing head and the vertical rotary table for the CNC mill. My manual rotary table isn't keyed.

Andrew

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2016, 12:36:24 AM »
I also agree with um like so um ha ha yeah so right Tom  :lolb: I gave up the keys. If you have a long enough parallel so you can ser your zero on the pivot point ( mounting bolt) the whatever it is on the other end, is what you need to move.

Cletus

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 12:53:30 AM »
Yep; another vote for Tom's method. I don't remember where I learned it (been too many years) but my procedure is pretty much like Tom's. I usually don't tap on the vise while it is moving; when I get to the end of the jaw I will bring it up to zero or a little more depending on how far it is out; you get a feel how much to move it. I usually get it in one pass and if it takes more than two I'm not happy with my self. Sometimes when the stars align; it is dead on with out any adjustment; I would like to think it is skill, but I know inside that it is just Sh##t house luck.  :lolb:

The key is to always pivot around one fixed location (or bolt); and only zero your indicator at that end of the jaw. Keeps you from chasing your tail.

Tom makes some valid points that I agree with about the keys protruding from the bottom of a nice flat surface.

Also ordered one of those fancy Noga mag bases on the Enco 25% off sale. :whoohoo:

Your mileage may vary,
Dave

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 07:21:29 AM »
Most of the time I have the base  on my vices so they are easy to centre: put the indicator in the middle, measure... go to the outside loosen rotational bolts, rotate vice so it says zero, tighten rotational bolts, the wind across the face and it is normally within 0.005mm  8)

:headscratch: Those Kurt bases seem extremely tall, the one on my 8" vice is still under 1" tall.

Those Noga mag bases did look nice but would I need one to the tune of what they are asking for them  :???:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2016, 07:48:29 AM »
I'm another tapper, don't really even need to zero the dial as you are just looking for movement of the needle and soon get to know which way to tap the vice depending if the dial is going away or towards you. I just wind with one hand a tap with the other as I don't have power feed but can usually easily get it set within one pass of the 4" jaw length.

Never used the swivel base that came with my vice

Offline peatoluser

• liverpool UK
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 09:44:01 AM »
when I bought my milling machine (sieg SX2) I didn't really know what type of vice to get , so ended up buying one of those ground all over precision tool vices on the grounds that
a) the clamping jaw won't lift , and
b) it should be easy to tram-in
but frankly , for 99% of the work I use it for, I just use a 6" M&W square and the edge of the table. this gets me to less than 0.01mm runout.
It's rare now for me to even check it with a DTI , only if the job warrants it.

peter

Offline Jeff Michel

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 10:38:50 AM »
I've seen this method described a number of different times, yours is probably the best of these. Thanks for the tip

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal