Author Topic: Keats Angle Plate  (Read 22318 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
Re: Keats Angle Plate
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2012, 12:08:56 AM »
Don
The Keats looks better "in person" than in pictures. Nicely machined. This will be VERY helpful. Big thanks to John!

As for the engine, just finished the flywheel a few minutes ago. That was the last piece ,so, assembly, disassembly, sanding , filing, polishing, re- assembly, etc.

Build log will follow. I have pix of machining every part. I like post my build logs when I have a runner.

Best
Stan
Best,
Stan

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2012, 01:01:23 AM »
Looking forward to it Stan!

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2012, 01:24:36 AM »
Thanks Stan, looking forward also. I want to warn you before you secure the ring gear. Before lining up the rotating gear with the ring gear teeth. Match the teeth in the full up position of the stroke of the piston and square off on the piston rod for a square upper stroke. Then center punch the two matching gears. I had fail to do that on mine and I had drilled the holes, so I ended up getting a new gear and doing it all over. Be sure to use the jig for set up. If you fail to do this the stroke will go up sideways and will bind, just from a minimum of offset.

Don

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 03:18:20 AM »
Don
The gear is drilled and attached. I made the jig to do it last week. Placed the piston/steam box and spinning the flywheel, everything is very smooth. No binding (that's a first).
At $80 for the gear, I was VERY careful before drilling.

Best
Stan
Best,
Stan

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 04:09:18 AM »
Looking forward to it Stan!

Dave

As am I!!!!!
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Bogstandard

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 07:16:00 AM »
Stan,

I have never had any trouble getting deliveries from RDG, always very fast, but I am really surprised how fast they got that one to you, it must have caught all the connections just right.

I think you will really find the benefit of the Keats when you come to do more than one item the same.

When making my small production engines, 12 cylinders at a time, which were square with an offset hole, I could just prepare all the cylinder blanks, set up the offset, and then drill them all, then bore, then ream, just three tooling changes, rather than having to do each one individually as you would in a four jaw, drill-bore-ream, changing the tooling a dozen times, so 36 tool changes in all.

You couldn't do that with round material with an offset hole, but at least you wouldn't be needing to set the four jaw up at each component change.

A real time saver.

John

Offline tel

• Bathurst District, NSW, Oz.
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2012, 11:28:22 AM »
I have never had any trouble getting deliveries from RDG, always very fast, but I am really surprised how fast they got that one to you, it must have caught all the connections just right.

Even down here in the wilds of Oz, they get stuff through pretty quick.
The older I get, the better I was.
Lacerta es reptiles quisnam mos non exsisto accuso nusquam

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2012, 01:02:25 AM »
Got mine today!    What a cute little thing! ;D.....

It'll get mounted on the Southbend.....once I get rid of the Hammerite paint job :hellno:.....I think a grey  :cheers:

Dave
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 01:08:33 AM by steamer »
Damned ijjit!

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 01:37:24 AM »
YUP  8 days from across the pond is pretty damn good!....

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 02:03:29 AM »
Yea Dave, I ordered mind on the 4th and it showed up on the 8th across the pond. That is pretty dam good time. Today I received my indexer which I had ordered on the 3rd and it came from the state.

Don

Bogstandard

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 07:38:25 AM »
I'm really glad you lads like the little tool.

I am sure you will start to appreciate it for what it can do when you start to use it.

When I first got mine, I only used it on the faceplate, but now it gets used all over the place, on almost all pieces of machinery.

It is now just part of my interchangeable tooling system that I have been striving for for many years.

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal