Author Topic: Dragging myself into the 21st century, The Kindle  (Read 13006 times)

Bogstandard

Re: Dragging myself into the 21st century, The Kindle
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2012, 08:14:13 AM »
This is turning out to be a nice discussion post, with everyone chirping in with their own experiences, which is good.

I actually bought the cheapest one you can buy, very limited in what it can and can't do, unlike some of the more expensive ones, and it has turned out wonderful for me, others might find it a bit limited on the size of screen, but that is what I wanted.
I have a laptop, but it is no use to me when laying in bed on my side and falling asleep whilst reading, just like you do when reading a paperback.

So this little bit of kit will do me perfectly for now.

John

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 08:29:40 AM »
Nice 1 John, I've been thinking about one of these for my wife as she's into reading. I always thought it strange to have a touch screen for a book, it's just going to get grubby finger prints all over the screen - esp if on holiday or something, so I was looking at the same version I think. Simpler is sometimes better!

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My photo website
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 09:56:26 AM »
I too have a kindle, I got it a couple of years ago. The battery life is unbelievable!

When I got mine, someone gave me a link that lists most, if not all, the free books ( this is the amazon.co.uk site , so may not be any use to those outside of the UK )

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D341689031&field-keywords=-domain&x=0&y=0

This should list out all the amazon books that are currently available for ?0.00 ( ie free ) There are some stinkers, but keep an eye on it, they change what's on there and there can be a few gems to be found.

I have just bought my wife an android tablet, 1st thing I did was to install Kindle software app on it, now got all my books in colour  :whoohoo: But the Kindle reader is much easier on the eyes for reading text, much more like reading a printed page, but horses for courses.

Tim
Measure with a Micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe. MI0TME

Bogstandard

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 10:21:29 AM »
Mine doesn't have a touch screen, just buttons on two edges.

John

Offline grayone

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 10:35:34 AM »
I bought one for my wife for Christmas and my daughter and her husband bought each other one also.  As all three are registered to my Amazon account they can share books between them which is what thye used to do with the paperbacks.  So now we have less clutter in the house. :happyreader: Now maybe I will just have to put one on my Christmas whish  :Jester:
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional

Offline Jack

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2012, 12:27:44 PM »
I just bought an IPad to replace my old tired and failing MacBook and I love it especially when I am in bed its just the right size to have on my stomach and surf especially the machinist sites.
It never occurred to me to be able to use it to read old books, I am going to have to check out the book thing. One thing that I do have on it is an electronic gold fish aquarium, I know that's silly for an old man to have but I find it very therapeutic.

Jack🐳🐬🐋🐟🐠

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2012, 01:11:22 PM »
I'm sure you know this, but, there are free Kindle and Nook reader apps for the iPad.

Best
Stan
Best,
Stan

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 02:06:58 PM »
I have a Kindle. Great for reading. Only problem in traveling by air is that you have to turn it off when taking off or landing. But that's a small price. Watch out for the screen. They may have improved things but early ones had a problem where the screen went bad...lines, blank spots, etc. It's well a well known problem if you search for it. But Amazon was good about it and replaced it for free.

Not much else you can do with it but I hear later models may/do provide ability to surf the net.

Also have a Kindle Fire. I use that one now whenever I travel. Many good apps and as was mentioned earlier, you can use it as storage and transfer pictures to it from a PC so you can show relatives and friends. You can also download movies.

Only issue I have is that the screen is a bit small for surfing or staying in touch with the forum.

Wife has an iPad and I'm thinking of getting one too. A bit bigger and solves the issue of seeing things easier but a bit more difficult (for me) in traveling.

If you travel with a laptop, some countries consider the iPad a 2nd computer and will/may charge tax to bring it in. Keep the receipts/forms if that happens. Once paid you don't/shouldn't have to pay again. I've had no problem (so far) with the Kindle in that respect.

Battery doesn't last as long on the Fire but long enough. I like the little wall wart that I got with the Kindle's. No bigger than a standard (US) two-prong plug and smaller than Apple's.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline NickG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2012, 05:11:26 PM »
Yeah you can read the books on smart phones and tablets but the screens make them not that easy to see sometimes, also the battery life is pretty poor. It would be nice to have one gadget that did everything but I reckon if you just want to read books you probably can't beat the kindle - still thinking of getting one for her Birthday!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2012, 08:24:05 PM »
Just a note on connecting to wi-fi (I just switched cable services and had this enjoyable experience)...

This is about using a secure (WEP protected) connection...

Kindle Fire...easy. Having a keyboard similar to the phone was helpful.

Kindle...painful (as it has always been)...
For one...the keyboard is difficult. Especially when you have to switch between alpha and the symbol table.
Although it saw the router...after trying to enter the key several times I had to give up.
Went upstairs...got a stronger signal...and got it done on first try. Don't know why.
I did all my other wireless devices in the basement too.

I've only used the keyboard for entering the WEP. Otherwise it's not needed unless you search for books on it as well. I use my PC to select books and have them downloaded to the Kindle.

They've been experimenting with web browsing on the Kindle. I haven't tried it. Again, use of keyboard would preclude it for me. Besides...I only want to read on it. Otherwise I'll use the Fire or something else.

Now if I can just get my XP box with USB wireless to obtain an IP address  :cussing:

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline AussieJimG

• Rest In Peace
  • Bywong, NSW, Australia
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2012, 07:46:41 AM »
Amazon books synchronise on my Kindle and android. The Kindle is easier to read in sunlight (lunchtime) and the android in poor light.

I agree that the Kindle keyboard is the pits but then I rarely use it.

I dreaded the android keyboard since it is "hunt and peck" instead of touch typing. Then I found a spare bluetooth keyboard and I use that on the rare occasions that I need to type anything more than a couple of words.

And I also found a Bluetooth headset that I purchased for some other reason and connected that to the android. It works well for Skype. And of course the android comes with a pair of earpods with microphone for stereo Skype and listening to music.

I am resigned to the need to upgrade at regular intervals. And it is not good offering the old ones to the grandchildren, they already have the latest gear.  Maybe I should find a bunch of old folk who are later adopters than I am  :Lol:

Jim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal