Author Topic: 3D printer projects  (Read 7095 times)

Offline GordonL

3D printer projects
« on: August 03, 2016, 03:01:34 PM »
I bought the Monoprice 3D printer to play around with and hopefully learn something new.

Now that I have it up and running I am looking for things to use it for. I can make toys and plastic junk for my grandkids but I am really looking for something useful that I can use particularly as it is used in model engines or machining in general.

I have looked at Thingiverse and most of the stuff is just more plastic junk. The only thing which I have thought about is spark plug boots but the plastic is too hard to use directly. I could possibly make something which could be used as a mold which could be filled with softer plastic. The other thing is that it would be possible to make casting pattern but I have not tried casting.

Any other ideas on useful stuff? What are the rest of you using your 3D printers for?

Gordon

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Re: 3D printer projects
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2016, 05:44:07 PM »
Gordon, I've been doing a bit of research on different printer filaments and there are dozens of different blends and varieties with different properties.  You have to be careful trying to use a softer, more rubbery filament with the Monoprice Mini since the Bowden extruder has to push the filament through 8 - 10 inches of teflon tube to the hot end where it is melted.

PCTPE is a blend of Nylon and copolymer and is softer than PLA but prints easily with the Bowden extruder.  Don't know if this is soft enough for spark plug caps, but might be.  It sells for about $29 a reel.

PolyMaker PolyFlex is still softer and should work fine for spark plug caps.  Reviews show that it still prints well with a Bowden extruder, but some adjustments to the extrude rate and the hot end temperature may be needed to make it print well.  At $45 - $55  a reel, it's also quite a bit more expensive than PLA which can be bought for around $20 a reel.  It might be available in smaller quantities at a substantially lower price.

Flex TPU is really soft but will still print though a Bowden extruder, although it is does require more fiddling with Hot End temperatures and extruder feed rates.  It is less expensive at around $29 a reel, but I would probably go with one of the other two unless you have a lot of patience and know which parameters to change to get it to print.

I've also been looking for different things to print that I find interesting.  For starters, gears and timing belt pulleys come to mind as useful things to print. 

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 06:37:15 PM »
Useful stuff I've printed
Mount for the drip irrigation timer
Brackets for a fabric windbreak
Car mount for iPhone
Headphone holder that slides into a glass tabletop
 Stand to hold Pin punches
Replacement clip for a filter cover on my brother's pool (part discontinued)
Catch tray for coffee grinder
Art Deco mounts for a stained glass window
Vise fixture for a strangely shaped part
Best,
Stan

Offline GailinNM

• Albuquerque, NM, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 07:05:09 PM »
Last year I built two Baldwin Mechanical Locomotives in Gauge 1 7/8 scale. Powered by 3/8 x 12 hit and miss engines.  Two parts on each locomotive were 3D printed.

First was the ignition box to hold the S/S ignition modules used.  They needed to be plastic for insulation purposes and have square inside corners to keep the size down to where they would fit in the available space. Screw bosses were put in for mounting in each corner but only went part way down so the board slipped under them.  This mounded under the cab so was not seen in operation.

Second was the toolbox that was visible. I used it to house the two switches, one for ignition and one for the lights, and the charging socket for the battery.  Thin walls with local reinforcement for the snap-in socket and switches and mounting screw areas.

The mounting holes for both were printed undersize and then drilled out and tapped.

I haave not tried it, but I think that spark plug boots could be molded in a printed mold.  I think ABS or nylon would stand the pressure for a low pressure transfer mold. Here is a link to a tutorial I wrote about 5 years ago on such a mold machined in aluminiium.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=14539

I have also printed a few parts to check the "gee that looks ugly" factor before maching and to have a sample I could hold to plan machining operations on a complex part.
Gail in NM
I would like to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 12:40:34 AM »
Like Stan I have printed special shape soft jaws to hold difficult parts. Several of the machined from solid parts on my Pacific engine were printed first to check the fit and see if they looked ok. I even designed and printed a tubing bender to bend the vent pipes for the 4 post oiler project.

Attached are a few pictures of shop items that I have printed. The first one is a lazy Susan for my Bondhus ball drivers complete with ball bearings. next is a tool holder for the Tormach TTS tool holders. These are used to hold the tools for a running job on the mill.

3rd is a try to hold a set of Micro-mark chisels.

There is much more but these are what come to mind; use your imagination I'm sure that you can invent some things to help you out in the shop.

Dave

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 01:08:00 AM »
Micromark must be buying surplus dental instruments. What you've got there are some Barry bone chisels, a Wedelstaedt crown lengthening chisel and a few Fedi periodontal chisels. You don't grow up with an oral surgeon for a dad without picking something up.
My job was to label the instruments when they came out of the autoclave.
Best,
Stan

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 01:16:29 AM »
That's funny Stan, your not pulling my leg are you?  :lolb:  I don't use them at home much but I have a set at work and they get used quite often.

http://www.micromark.com/miniature-chisels-set-of-7,8423.html

Dave

Offline GordonL

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 01:28:13 AM »
Obviously one of the first things for me to learn is 3D CAD. I have played around with Autodesk 123D and it does not seem to be too useful yet. I am at the point that I can make a 10 minute sketch in about 3 hours. If I want to make standard geometric shapes it is fine but if I want to make irregular shapes with holes and slots etc at precise positions it is rather cumbersome. It has the advantage of being free but if it will not produce usable drawings/parts it is worth what I paid for it. Nothing.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 01:36:52 AM »
Gordon that is really the key to 3d printing unless you just want to print someone else's designs. There is getting to be many options when it comes to cheap or free 3d modeling software that is suited for 3d printing. Maybe some of the other guys that are using these different programs can chime in with their opinions. The software packages that I use at home and work can be pretty pricey; and for what you are wanting to do, probably not worth the investment.

Dave

Offline GordonL

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 01:57:54 AM »
I used a 2D cad program for the last 20+ years using Visual CADD which started out as Generic CADD which you bought in modules, draw, dimension, text etc. I could do a 10 minute sketch in that in about 5 minutes but it does not work for 3D. I certainly do  not want to spend several hundred dollars in order to be able to make tool racks etc no matter how neat. The stuff that I have found on places like Thingiverse are mostly just gadgets and toys.

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 03:55:17 AM »
If you look there are some useful files on thingiverse . A couple steam engines that could run on compressed air and AXA tool holder  holders. 

You may want to download and try 123d design it is free autodesk product for making designs for 3d printing . A few strings like not for commercial use and they will monitor use if you let them and they encourage you to store files in the cloud but you do not have to.

http://www.123dapp.com/design

tin

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 11:24:02 AM »
123d also alows to import svg files and then turn into 3d

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 08:02:58 PM »
I've been coming up to speed on Fusion 360 from Autodesk.  It's free for the hobbyist and casual user and is very full featured.  Have said that, it's also a pretty steep learning curve, but there are lots of videos and tutorials on youtube.

Regarding the Monoprice Select Mini, this fellow has started up some very useful videos for beginners and plans to do more.    The video on bed levelling is a good place to start.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qAHal8kbvnjk4bbhtZWew/videos

Monoprice Select Mini also has a facebook page and there is some good information and conversations there as well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1717306548519045/

So many projects, so little time...

Offline GordonL

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2016, 01:05:40 PM »

Regarding the Monoprice Select Mini, this fellow has started up some very useful videos for beginners and plans to do more.    The video on bed levelling is a good place to start.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qAHal8kbvnjk4bbhtZWew/videos

Monoprice Select Mini also has a facebook page and there is some good information and conversations there as well.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1717306548519045/

The youtube videos are good but the Facebook seems to be the usual facebook drivel of posting a picture of the printer and projects in process with a few useful tips thrown in if you ignore the useless stuff

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 01:44:38 PM »
I've been coming up to speed on Fusion 360 from Autodesk.  It's free for the hobbyist and casual user and is very full featured.  Have said that, it's also a pretty steep learning curve, but there are lots of videos and tutorials on youtube.

Autodesk is really  offering a lot of product for the money and lots of options and price points for everyone.  Lots of opportunity to learn .
Fusion 30 and inventor offer lots of features not found in 123d design. Like assemblies and the ability to generate 2d drawings.  both valuable for the home shop machinist. I personally am not a fan of cloud based products but there has to be some trade off for added features pay money or work in the cloud.

!23D design is designed as a free local based entry level program  . There is a subscription fee for commercial users. it will not do assemblies generate a bill of materials  or generate a 2d drawing from your 3d design.

It is fairly easy to use less modules and great for  geometric designs for 3d printing. A bit more power than tinker CAD  but still simple to use.
Tin

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2016, 12:08:08 PM »
Gordon, one of the first things I printed was a mod kit for my machine. It was a set of six brackets and some nuts to make the frame on this design a bit more rigid. Add some threaded rod and it worked a treat. A noticeable improvement in print quality.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

Offline TonyG

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2016, 03:30:07 PM »
Are any of you using your printers to make small engines or engine parts?

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2016, 04:31:57 PM »
Trying to. Hope to have a couple in the next month or so.
Tin

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2016, 07:20:54 PM »
I am as well. I should have a small Stirling type working in a week or so and a small beam engine is in the works as well.

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal