Author Topic: Zinc plating  (Read 4166 times)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
Zinc plating
« on: July 30, 2016, 08:32:36 PM »
Hi

Its been a while since I posted anything, tis the season of DIY :'( and a short holiday so my projects have taken a back seat. The portable steam engine, the bending rolls and the tumbler polisher are sitting there patiently waiting. However another topic took my interest so I have been experimenting in the odd half hour here and there.

Just before we get into it let me show you something else that is sort of related. One of my other passions is woodworking, and I love using hand tools. There is nothing quite like a well honed chisel or a finely set plane and a nice piece of hard wood. Anyway at a recent steam fair I came across an old rapier plane. Unfortunately it had a piece missing, the blade clamp and also the 3 blades. After a brief discussion with the stall holder he graciously gave it me :) happy days.

Back home a search on the internet soon yielded all the info needed. A picture was printed out. You can see the bit that was missing and the replacement part being hacked out of some steel bar

Steel is ok but it does rust easily so it will be zinc plated, which brings us nicely onto the topic.

The internet provided all the info for me to have a go.

A plastic container (about 2.5ltrs) with a lid that seals and some white distilled vinegar

Sugar

Epsom salts

Zinc

Mix in the following quantities

1 liter of vinegar
100 grams of Epsom salt
120 grams of sugar
8-10 square inches of zinc

Vinegar is a mild acetic acid and slowly dissolves the zinc metal into solution.

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate and is the electrolyte of the plating solution

Sugar is used as a brightener. It causes many smaller crystals to form on the surface instaed of fewer larger crystals

You will also need a low voltage power supply. Preferably one that can be adjusted from 0.5volts to about 3 volts. You might get away with using a 1.5 volt battery. I have a 12volt power supply in my workshop and also a voltage regulator that will take 12 or 24 volts in and give anything from 0.2 volts out.

Weigh out the epsom salt and sugar and add to the vinegar at room temperature and mix in

The container I used was big enough to double all the amounts to fill it.

Add the zinc pieces and leave lightly covered for 24 hours or so. You won't see any bubbling for a few hours but by the end of the next day you should see small bubbles coming off the zinc pieces. This is the zinc meta lbeing converted to soluble zinc acetate but does give off hydrogen gas so don't tightly seal the container as pressure might build up and rupture it. Once plating statrs the zinc anode will dissolve at the same rate that zinc is plating the cathode so the zinc solution should not weaken.

Ok, onto actually plating something. Cleanliness is the key. The plating will not stick to finger prints ,oil, dirt etc. Scrub the part and rinse well. Wear rubber gloves.

I used some old copper brake pipe across the top of the contaner and used copper wire to suspend the parts.

Make an Anode (+ terminal) of Zinc metal and attach the Cathode (- terminal) to the part to be plated.

If the solution has a sufficient amount of dissolved Zinc you should see the part start to turn Zinc coloured almost immediately

Aim to adjust the voltage so that a small amount of bubbling can be seen. If the voltage is too high you might get a slightly burned look and rough edges. If the voltage is too low the plating will take longer and might have a frosted look. Some experimentation is required

After 10 -15 minutes remove the part, don't forget your rubber gloves, give it a rinse and a light rub with a scotch bright pad to shine it up. If the plating looks a little thin stick it back in for another run. Apparently it is better to do several short runs than one long run

Finally the blade clamp from the plane

Thats about it. Polished chrome it ain't but gives an anti rust coating that should last. The chemicals used are fairly safe and can be handled without harm.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Rich

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
Re: Zinc plating
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 10:57:07 PM »
Thanks Rich........very interesting indeed.....but then wondered where to get Zinc foil?  :headscratch:

Bingo  :atcomputer:.....Bunnings Hardware stores......Zinc Flashing :ThumbsUp:

Then I saw the price :insane:

230mm wide x 6000mm long = 1,380,000 square mm

$241.00 divided by 1380000 = $1.75 per square mm  :lolb:

Are the batteries flat in my abacus?......... :ShakeHead: Derek
« Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 11:05:41 PM by derekwarner_decoy »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 11:10:33 PM »
Your abacus is definitely broke. I can't see how you got that number per square millimeter.
$175/square meter (which is a lot!) is .000175/square mm. Unless MY abacus is shot!

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 11:16:22 PM »
Hi

The zinc (for plating) is available on ebay, quite reasonable.

I believe you can buy it at ships chandlers. Perhaps Dave could enlighten us non nautical types as to its use

Cheers

Rich

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 12:33:58 AM »
I like Chris' calculator a lot better :) Nice job on the plating though!!

Bill

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 08:00:16 PM »
hi

I couldn't show this yesterday because I couldn't find my brass wire brush :thinking: A quick rub with the brush and a respectable shine is achieved

Cheers

Rich

Offline smithdoor

• https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/southbendlathe9/info
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 05:32:14 PM »
Like this way to plate

Dave

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 06:31:21 PM »
Simple and pretty hazard free.  Thanks for the description.  Zinc is used as a sacrificial anode to protect steel hulls - hence the availability in chandlers.

Cheers,

Rod

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 07:35:20 PM »
Hi

Thanks Dave.

Rod thanks for the explanation :ThumbsUp:

I found another source for zinc on a motor cycle forum. The guy strips the outer case from old zinc carbon batteries. When you think of the amount that gets thrown away :facepalm:

Cheers

Rich

Offline KWIL80

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 04:17:45 PM »
When I want something plated, I nip down to my local commercial plater where for a beer token they will plate anything.
BZP = Bright Zinc Plate, not chrome which is harder to find, but actually quite bright!

Offline Alan Haisley

• Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, USA
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 02:34:39 AM »
I'm have no idea about about shipping, but unitednuclear.com offers pure zinc for about half that price.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 11:35:46 AM »
Read in the news paper this morning about the next thing to be got rid of, galvanised iron, half of New Zealand is roofed(maybe more) with galvanised corrugated iron. "they" say that the zinc is polluting the water!
Ian S C

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 01:15:27 AM »
  :old:...for 80 something years 2/3 of inland Australian homes have had Custom Orb corrugated galvanised iron rain water tanks

The water didn't even kill the Tad Poles  :vomit:........ & tank water always made a nice cup of tea  :LittleDevil: .... Derek
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2016, 01:31:12 PM »
New corrugated iron roofs do not have the lead head nails now days, I suppose that's fair enough.  There's been galvanised iron around NZ for well over 100 years, andmost of that came from Australia, Lysarts (spelling), on many old shearing sheds, it's about double the weight of modern iron.  Galv water tanks a being replaced by plastic, someone will start saying that toxins will leach out of the plastic before too long.
Ian S C

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal