Author Topic: Member from the Isle of Man  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Adiabatic

Member from the Isle of Man
« on: July 24, 2016, 05:17:46 PM »
Hello guys and girls, I live on the Isle of Man,in the middle of the Irish Sea.
I've been a member here for a while now but only as a lurking reader of topics.

Thought I'd do my politeness bit and post up an intro before posting or commenting on anything here.
I am also an active member over on MadModder forum and I am therefore already familiar with some of the names on here.

Always enjoy reading members engine build projects and picked up a number of useful hints and tips from you guys when building my 'Nick' flamelicker some months back.

I have a great liking for mill type and stationary engines,big ones and the model variety alike.

The 'Nick' was my first engine build and runs really well but I do also have a set of Gerry Howell plans for the very desirable 'Farm Boy' engine

At the present time I've got my own old house renovation project on the go and several other engineering project commitments on a work basis so I won't be building 'Farm Boy' for a few months yet.

Hope to be able to add to the useful contributions on here (and a little occasional humour,of course  :lolb:)

My shop consists of a Harrison L6 ex college lathe with lots of extra tooling and fixtures as bought.
Also an Alba 1A shaper that came to me in a very sorry state but is now in fully re-built and functioning condition.

A couple of Progress No1 pedestal drills and a metal cutting bandsaw account for the larger items of my machinery backed up with lots of hand tools,power tools and measuring equipment etc.

For milling ops I have the 'phone a friend' option, and use his, until I get around to buying my own.

I also have a Novo 5 HP stationery engine covered over in the yard that has been begging for my attention for some years now(think it's time I started listening to the old girls pleas for attention)

Anyway,enough for this bit and see you all soon in the main field of this forum......OZ.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Member from the Isle of Man
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 06:04:12 PM »
Welcome Howard. Thanks for the intro and will look forward to your participation here on MEM.

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 06:11:37 PM »
Hi Howard and welcome to the forum!

:hi:

Don

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 06:37:32 PM »
Hi Howard, welcome to MEM!

Dave

Offline Adiabatic

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 06:54:38 PM »
Thanks guys,
I'm rarely called Howard (reminds me of all those old Aunties I had to go and visit as a youngster).

Always been addressed by nickname Oz.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 07:08:14 PM »
 :hi: Oz,

So  :embarassed: do you have any pictures of your Flame licker. And we won't say no to some pictures of your workshop ;)

Jo

P.S. I found out that the person who sold me that slotting head kept the slotting tools that came with it :Mad:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 08:04:14 PM »
Welcome OZ. Good to see you start posting.  :ThumbsUp:

Yes....... Yes......... pictures..........lots of pictures!  :)

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 08:05:30 PM »
OZ it is then :)

Bill

Offline Adiabatic

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 09:09:16 PM »
Hi Jo,you know there's another Jo over on MadModder,don't you? You may have a doppelgänger  :ROFL:

Missing bits from your slotter,you say?  Oh, that is seriously one of my pet hates when someone feels the need to separate a machine from the vital accessories that make it properly functional   :Mad: I tell you  :Mad:

The lathe I was lucky with as it came with a very comprehensive range of Harrison factory accessories.
Big range of back gear change wheels,taper turn attachment,Burnerd multisize collet chuck and collet set,face plates,drive plates, 3 and 4 jaw Pratt chucks indexing 4 way tool post and a good deal of smaller tooling etc.

There is also a quick action cross slide and capstan bed turret should I ever feel the need to set up for production runs  :facepalm: 

The best part of all this being that the lathe itself was one of 4 that I worked on when doing my Tech College day release C&G course during my apprentice days.

I bought it through Govt tender about 13 years after I had finished college. My old course tutor was still there and ensured that all the apparatus that belonged with that machine came my way (thanks sir)

I've owned and had the old girl in constant use since 1992 and added loads more tooling since then.

There is one really odd twist in the tale. The lathe originally had a full set of imperial and metric compound slide and cross slide lead screws but the compound imperial was missing when I collected it,so she was used as metric for years.

About 2 years back a friend and myself bought a job lot of machines and various tooling from a deceased estate and amongst the boxes of bits and pieces appeared 2 imperial Harrison compound screws  :cartwheel: Some people have strange fetishes.

Turned out the chap had been a college tutor himself and also bought stuff from them at  tender sales.
That deceased workshop clearance is also where the Alba shaper came from.

I'm jealous of your Delapena (or was it Sunnen?)honer machine though,as I no longer have ready access to one these days.

Some photies needed for sure......Oz

« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 09:20:44 PM by Adiabatic »

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 09:36:39 PM »
Hi Oz,
Welcome to the forum!  Or at least welcome to posting on the forum, as it sounds like you've been here for some time :)
Kim

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 10:00:49 PM »
Welcome Oz, You seem to be well equipped in the lathe dept. I look forward to your photos.......Terry

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 03:20:05 AM »
Hi Oz and welcome to the group.

Vince

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal