Author Topic: 3D printer questions  (Read 14291 times)

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
Re: 3D printer questions
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2016, 11:42:42 AM »
My bed is heated to 160C for PLA

Typo ?? sounds Way high 60-70c typical also common to have first layer  nozzle and bed about 5 degrees higher than rest of print.
Tin

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 12:26:47 PM »
I should apparently have pointed out that there's three main types of Micro SD cards and they are NOT compatible.  :Mad:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 12:41:27 PM by Admiral_dk »

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 12:47:21 PM »
The glue sticks release the part very easily once the bed cools. When warm, they are hard to remove.
Best,
Stan

Offline GordonL

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 12:57:26 PM »
Hi Gordon

Google is your friend, so I googled : micro sd card compatibility issues

Best wishes

Per

I tried google to find out about SD cards but apparently did not use the correct search because I did not get the answers shown in that article. Thanks. I did not realize that there were different types of cards.

Thanks to all who have replied it has gone a long way to getting me started. So far I have not done anything serious with the printer so it is still learning. Once I get past printing out toys made by others I will probably have a whole new set of problems.

In regard to a glass bed, do you just place a piece of glass on top of the metal bed?

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2016, 02:16:59 PM »
In regard to a glass bed, do you just place a piece of glass on top of the metal bed?

That's how mine is. I have a large printed circuit board which is the heater and is nothing more than one long trace going back and forth.
Then I have a glass plate clipped on top using binder clips.
The glass plate has blue masking tape which I wiped with isopropyl alcohol.
I haven't tried glue or hairspray but I've seen a lot of people mention that.

You want the glass plate to be as flat as possible.

I'm not home so I can't verify the thickness of the glass. 1/4" at most but may be a bit thinner than that. Not sure how much thickness matters.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline GordonL

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2016, 07:54:12 PM »
I guess that I will have to wait for a while to see if the SD problem is in the card or the reader. I contacted CS the other day and they said that they were going to send me a new printer. I found out today that they will not send the new printer until they receive to old one. I just dropped it off at UPS so it will probably be a week before I can play around again. I looked at the card information on the google link and it is hard to find a card which is below 4GB and just SD standard speed. I am thinking that the problem may be in my printer because I have done a google search and have not seen any other folks with the same problem.

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2016, 09:38:10 PM »
The glue sticks release the part very easily once the bed cools. When warm, they are hard to remove.

Interesting, that's the opposite of what I see? When warm the glue is soft and so I expect the part would be easy to remove. But when cold it sticks like s**t to a blanket and I often have to use a 'special' tool to remove the parts.

My 3D printer came with a glass base, which sits on a metal plate which has a distributed heater on it, basically a foil resistor I think. The glass isn't that thick. I've just been next door to the 3D print area (aka the sitting room) to measure it; 4mm or 5/32".

Andrew

Note: The 'special' tool is a wallpaper stripper with the end ground to a sharp edge, like a 2" wide chisel

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 12:27:45 AM by Tin Falcon »

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 01:31:10 AM »
http://www.hydetools.com/products/3-long-handle-brass-chisel-scraper

This is the special tool that we use at work to knock the printed parts off the platform.  :lolb:

Dave

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 03:22:15 AM »
My bed is heated to 160C for PLA

Typo ?? sounds Way high 60-70c typical also common to have first layer  nozzle and bed about 5 degrees higher than rest of print.
Tin
yep just saw that it's meant to read 60C and forgot that is my winter print temp. In summer here I rarely use the heat on the bed as it would normally stay at 30C which is our ambient temp usually. Thanks for the heads up.
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

Offline GordonL

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2016, 11:47:19 AM »
The card in the original printer is labeled SD 256 MB. No other markings. No indication on/with the printer that it is limited to SD only. No indication to not use  SDHC or SDXC but that may be the case. If that were the case is seems strange that two people with tech support at Monoprice did not know this and asked me to return the printer. I have returned the printer as I indicated above so I cannot try it now until the printer has been returned. I will probably buy a 2 GB SD only card and see if that works.

I have not had much experience with SD cards. I have one in my camera and one in my phone. Do they require formatting? I have not formatted the ones I have. I just plugged them in and they worked.

Offline Steve F

• Hornchirch Essex UK
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2016, 09:59:06 PM »
Hi

I have a Hobbyking Fabrikator mini. It's been worked hard but it keeps going but I only use it for PLA. I added a self adhesive build surface to it called "BuildTak". I'm sure its available most places now. It assists with the first layer adhesion. You need to adjust the head to bead height to get the best results as there is sweet spot where it works best. Website here http://www.buildtak.eu/ In the past I used blue painters tape and or a pritt gluestick. If you like youtube there is an excellent channel here  www.FilamentFriday.com

Happy printing. Once you start you cant stop

regards

Steve

Offline GordonL

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2016, 02:02:59 PM »
When you set the height of the head over the bed, I assume that it must be set with the tape in place and not over the bed without the tape since the tape itself is about .003 and if it were set to the bed the head would actually touch the tape. True?

Offline Gonzo007

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2016, 02:56:02 PM »
When you set the height of the head over the bed, I assume that it must be set with the tape in place and not over the bed without the tape since the tape itself is about .003 and if it were set to the bed the head would actually touch the tape. True?

Yes set you height with the tape installed.  Also make sure you check your bed level after.

Colin

Offline wagnmkr

• Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2016, 08:12:55 PM »

That is so true ... I got my machine last Friday and it has gone non stop ever since. It is just finishing it's longest print ... just under 10 hours.

It is fascinating to watch and listen to. Sometimes, with a certain combination of moves, it sings you a song.

I use green painters tape at the moment, but I am going to get some glass for it and try the glue stick.

Tom

Tom
I was cut out to be rich ... but ... I was sewn up all wrong!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal