Author Topic: My first use of a lathe to make something useful :)  (Read 11683 times)

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
Re: My first use of a lathe to make something useful :)
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2016, 11:30:00 PM »
Hello Jim, thank you :)

We do have a mill but it is of the CNC variety. No manual mill, unfortunately.

I can model stuff in 3D, but most of the projects I have in mind are simple and CNC would be overkill, so I don't use it.

This might be a great excuse to purchase my own mill :D
(This signature intentionally left blank)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2016, 02:12:01 AM »
All I can say is  :ThumbsUp:
You are going down a well traveled path.

"muck"...loved that. Haven't heard it in ages.

I used to use it. Makes me wonder where you are.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jayville

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 12:05:30 PM »
Brendonm you can buy all the brass that you want at George White in Clayton...last time I was their they let me behind counter..talk about a kid in a lolly shop.and they will cut to any size....clem....tasmania

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 12:09:32 AM »
"muck"...loved that. Haven't heard it in ages.

I used to use it. Makes me wonder where you are.

Thanks Carl, I am in Melbourne, Australia. Now that you mention it, I have only just noticed how close it to a certain other expletive :)

Brendonm you can buy all the brass that you want at George White in Clayton...

Thank you for the tip :)

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 12:40:30 AM »
Watch out there Brendon, you know this can be very addicting!! Nice work on the scriber  :ThumbsUp:

Bill

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2016, 01:10:04 PM »
Hello again,

My next adventure in machining was another repair job. This time my lawn mower - the rod which connects the front and rear axels for height control has a pin which uses a circlip to hold everything together. This pin has eroded overtime and the circlip essentially falls off. So I decided to make a new pin.

I once again used a bit of scrap mild steel. I am quickly learning that I really need to think about the order of machining operations and not just "wing it", since I parted off without realising I had nothing left to chuck to finish the job  :facepalm:

Here is the pin in action. I made the groove for the circlip too big, I suspect there'll be a "Mark II" in the near future, once I learn how to grind my own tool bits.

Of course, you fix one problem, and another presents itself. D'oh!  :facepalm:

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2016, 06:36:17 PM »
You are getting the idea. If You make something that saves "THE HOUSE" some money just be sure to show it around a bit. It makes it easier to buy (the inevitable) next tool. You have been bitten and are getting addicted, enjoy the ride.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 12:41:21 AM »
Nice fix !!  Maybe you should think about making a whole new mower, or at least a new set of tires for that one :)

Bill

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2016, 02:03:20 AM »
Wow! Blew a wheel off that mower, eh? How fast were you going when that happened?

http://www.meaforensic.com/wheel-separation-investigation-metallurgical-expert-mark-bailey-mea-forensic

Bearing failure?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maeaht5vEBM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maeaht5vEBM</a>

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2016, 04:31:49 AM »
Haha, only walking pace, I swear :)

Nothing too serious, just the circlip that holds the wheel onto the axel came off. I'll repack the bearings with grease and put the wheel back on.

Nice fix !!  Maybe you should think about making a whole new mower, or at least a new set of tires for that one :)

Bill

That could be an interesting project (edit: making a new set of wheels) :)

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 07:56:31 AM »
Good work Brendon, I get a good deal of satisfaction from 'fixing' things. Now you have access to the machines, the world is your oyster.
Robert
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 04:19:03 PM »
"Wow! Blew a wheel off that mower, eh? How fast were you going when that happened?"

Unfortunately, all too common nowadays. Wheels attached with cheap hardware. Lost one off my (new) snowblower in the middle of a blizzzard last winter.  Had to sieve snow to find the attaching hardware as all the stores were closed due to the blizzard and too darn cold to work in the unhearted garage to come up with an alternative. The wheels on my grand-daughter's doll buggy were held on with better fasteners (He grumbles).

ShopShoe

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2016, 02:36:34 PM »
Hello ShopShoe, the mower hasn't done too bad, I've had it for about 6 years, and I'm the second owner. It was already old when it was given to me. :)

While I'm here, I thought I'd show this practice run to grind a lathe tool bit, specifically one intended for cutting brass.

It's a piece of unknown 1/2 inch steel from Bunnings which I paid way too much for, but I was eager to do some practice grinding.

I've purchased some actual HSS tool blanks, and will purchase a bench grinder as well (CCHS only has a belt/disc sander).

I have indeed been bitten. :D

By the way, this thread is becoming a bit more like a learning journal, I can start a different thread elsewhere if that would be more appropriate.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2016, 03:06:04 PM »
Good work on the toolbit Brendon.  :ThumbsUp: That's a skill I have yet to start working on, even though I have some blank toolbits and a grinder.  :hammerbash:

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2016, 01:07:38 AM »
A grinder is arguably the first and most important machine tool to acquire. Even if you just have hand tools, you will want to sharpen drill bits, axes, chisels, mower blades, etc. Lathe bit sharpening can be a challenging and rewarding project. I have found that pictures and videos are not quite adequate to explain all the details, but are good starting points. It is rewarding to try a few variations of grinding to get a good "feel" for what works well and what does not. I bought an odd lot of perhaps 30 assorted lathe bits that have been sharpened to various profiles for special purposes, and I have used some of them mostly as-is, or with minor modification. It was only about $20 for the lot, so I don't much worry about mistakes.

http://enginuitysystems.com/pix/Lathe_Bits_0814_800p.jpg height=583

http://enginuitysystems.com/pix/Lathe_Bits_0815_800p.jpg height=583

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal