Author Topic: My first use of a lathe to make something useful :)  (Read 11679 times)

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
My first use of a lathe to make something useful :)
« on: July 20, 2016, 02:15:27 PM »
Hello! I hope this post is appropriate for the chatterbox section :)

While this sort of reads like an introduction post, I have been on this board for a while now, and I have yet to post anything even remotely related to anything machining.  :facepalm:

I still have no machine shop of my own, but I recently became a member of the Connected Community Hackerspace in Melbourne, and one of the benefits of joining is that their workshop is equipped with one of these :D

(sorry for blurry image)

It is a Sheraton lathe, what appears to be a Southbend copy, which was manufactured here in Melbourne, Victoria (specifically, in Fairfield). Sheraton moved to Knox in 1981, which means this lathe is possibly 35 years of age.

I checked the spindle runout and found it to be 0.05mm, or about 2 thousands of an inch. For a machine of this age, I figured was good enough. I was then told that the spindle bearings were recently replaced, so maybe it could be better?

The handwheel dials are in imperial measurement, which poses a bit of a challenge, but I'll get used to it eventually :)

So, I am a complete newbie when it comes to machining; naturally the very first machining project I had the nerve to do was create a custom washer for my front door -- an old design with the knob mounted in the center of the door (otherwise I probably would have just replaced the whole mechanism)

The knobs are held in place by a circlip. Over time the circlip has worn the housing bracket to the point where the knob can be pulled right through. The temporary solution* was to make a washer larger than the circlip.

I used drills to open up the internal diameter as much as I could, and then finally (after a lot of confusion on the correct cutter choice), bored out the inside to the correct diameter. I think the washer was mild steel.

Overall, it worked pretty well. :)

I understand that this is Machining for absolute beginners and that this post is probably boring, but I am glad to just (finally) have access to a lathe :)

My next project will be to build something more complex: a metal scriber as described by Chris at Clickspring :)

I hope with enough time, I'll be able to build something as great as everyone else on here.

Thank you for reading.

*There is a saying, however: "There's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution"  :Lol:
(This signature intentionally left blank)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: My first use of a lathe to make something useful :)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 02:29:50 PM »
Well done Brendon,

Starting with these little "fix its" is a great way to build up confidence and to learn about using machine tools  ;)

The negative of using club tools is you have to get there early so no one else beats you to your machine :stickpoke: and it is not advisable to leave things set up when you go home  :ShakeHead: And normally all the best tooling has been nicked mislaid  :(

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2016, 02:45:56 PM »
Good start on your machining journey Brendon.

My first project, when I got my lathe, was the scriber (by Clickspring) that you show the link for. I used a piece of 1/4" welding rod to make it. I use it a lot.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 02:53:04 PM »
Hi Brendon, glad that you enjoyed your first encounter with a decent sized lathe.  As you suggest, when you are a beginner it seems like a big step forward to switch the machine on and give it a go, but you're on your way now...!
  Might be worth thinking of making up ( grinding and honing ) a couple of basic HSS tool bits for yourself, say a standard knife tool and perhaps a tool with a radiused tip, so that you know that you will always have tool bits that you are happy to use and have kept nice and sharp, when you come to have session time on the lathe.   Just an idea...    Dave

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2016, 03:28:11 PM »
Well done Brendon. That first step is often the hardest, but every journey starts there!!

Bill

Offline RMO

• Rexburg, Idaho, USA
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2016, 03:47:11 PM »
Brendon,

Got to start somewhere and making something functional is a great way to start.  After a while, you will wonder how you got along without access to a lathe.

Mike

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 05:07:09 PM »
I understand that this is Machining for absolute beginners

Many of us (and I) started just that way. This forum is great for beginners.

and that this post is probably boring,

Never boring to see someone start. Actually helps us/me to learn more.

but I am glad to just (finally) have access to a lathe :)

Yay!  :cartwheel:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2016, 02:10:05 AM »
Thank you all for your words of encouragement :)

The negative of using club tools is you have to get there early so no one else beats you to your machine :stickpoke: and it is not advisable to leave things set up when you go home  :ShakeHead: And normally all the best tooling has been nicked mislaid  :(

Jo

Hello Jo, lucky for me most of the members are attracted to the 3d printers and laser cutter  :cartwheel: Also I think the members are pretty honest and/or likely don't have their own lathe for which to accidently "indefinitely borrow" tools, and also the committee would notice things going missing as well :)

That said, I will take Dave's (Chipswitheverything) advice and learn how to grind my own tool bits.

Offline PStechPaul

• Cockeysville, MD 21030
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2016, 07:11:32 AM »
That scriber looks like a nice simple project. Good information also about neutral rake for brass, and making a spear point drill bit.

My first useful lathe project was an MT2 drill chuck adapter for my lathe to use a threaded base Jacobs chuck. I made the adapter from a large Grade 8 bolt:

http://enginuitysystems.com/pix/MT2_Drill_Chuck_0792_800p.jpg height=589

http://enginuitysystems.com/pix/MT2_Drill_Chuck_0795_800p.jpg height=589

The taper is not quite right and the finish is poor, but I learned a lot from this little project. I'm glad you are finally getting a chance to do some machining. It's a very satisfying hobby with many practical applications around the home, shop, garage, etc.

I made this brass fitting to replace a plastic one that had broken on my Sleep Number bed:

http://enginuitysystems.com/pix/Sleep_Number_Fitting_1824.jpg height=589

http://enginuitysystems.com/pix/Sleep_Number_Fitting_1825.jpg height=589

http://enginuitysystems.com/pix/Sleep_Number_Fitting_1833.jpg height=589

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2016, 01:07:43 PM »
Thanks Paul. Being able to make my own tools -- especially to fix things -- will definitely be invaluable :)

Offline Myrickman

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2016, 08:56:22 PM »
Great you're making this journey into machine tools. My advice learned from aggravation is to be able to select cutters which are sharp and or being able to true them up. Nothing worse than messing up a part or struggling due poorly sharpened cutters. A dial indicator on the cross slide can compensate for a worn half nut on an older machine when you have to be spot on size. The feeling of making something useful or saving $$$ is also nice. Welcome aboard! Paul

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2016, 09:28:46 PM »
Nice work Brendon.  Your hackerspace is lucky to have what appears to be a well made lathe.  Our makerspace in southeastern Pennsylvania has lots of 3D printers,  a laser cutter and various whiz bang electronic stuff.  But we also have a small machine shop and there's lots of interest in learning how to use the tools there because it's hard to make anything without needing taps, dies, bushings, milling and lathe work at some point.

I'm curious...did you get someone to help you get started on the lathe or did you just pick up on it and figure things out?

Good luck with the hackerspace

Cheers,
Phil

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2016, 01:56:22 PM »
Great you're making this journey into machine tools. My advice learned from aggravation is to be able to select cutters which are sharp and or being able to true them up. Nothing worse than messing up a part or struggling due poorly sharpened cutters. A dial indicator on the cross slide can compensate for a worn half nut on an older machine when you have to be spot on size. The feeling of making something useful or saving $$$ is also nice. Welcome aboard! Paul

Thank you Paul :)

Nice work Brendon.  Your hackerspace is lucky to have what appears to be a well made lathe.  Our makerspace in southeastern Pennsylvania has lots of 3D printers,  a laser cutter and various whiz bang electronic stuff.  But we also have a small machine shop and there's lots of interest in learning how to use the tools there because it's hard to make anything without needing taps, dies, bushings, milling and lathe work at some point.

I'm curious...did you get someone to help you get started on the lathe or did you just pick up on it and figure things out?

Good luck with the hackerspace

Cheers,
Phil

Hello Phil, I was shown the basics of lathe operation by a member at CCHS. But I have also gleaned information from the channels of Myfordboy and Clickspring and various other videos on youtube :)

Offline Brendon M

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 12:47:34 PM »
Hello again, I figure I can just keep posting in this thread, rather than create new threads. I hope this is OK.

I had a go at making a metal scriber. I don't know where to buy brass so I substituted with steel rod from Bunnings hardware store.

As I kind of expected, I mucked up the first attempt, but I learned a lot in the process. Also, this is why I have enough rod left over for at least 6 more mistakes  :Lol:

I mucked up on Step 2, which is drilling the hole for the sewing pin. I think I got a bit aggressive with the 1.5mm drill, as it snapped off inside. I was running the lathe at 1250rpm, which may have been too fast. I was initially running at 315rpm, and the drill seemed to cut OK at first, but it was getting progressively more difficult to drill. I was clearing the chips and coating with cutting fluid.

Despite that, I continued on with the other steps, since it was quite likely I'd muck something else up as well. Here is the end result:

I actually ran some sandpaper over it to clean up the surface, although I obviously did this more at the pointy end than the other :toilet_claw:

A tip that was offered to me by a friend is to cover the ways so that grit from the sandpaper does not form a grinding paste. Luckily I had wiped the ways down with paper towel, but hopefully I haven't caused long term damage as a result.

The most important lesson from all this is: lathes are great fun! :D

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 02:39:01 PM »
Good work Brendon.  :ThumbsUp: You'll find your scriber to be very handy.

I made mine out of 1/4" brass brazing rod that I was able to buy locally.

I don't suppose they happen to have a mill there to go along with that lathe?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal