Author Topic: Twin Cylinder Horizontal Engine & Vertical boiler  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Nobby Sideways

Twin Cylinder Horizontal Engine & Vertical boiler
« on: May 26, 2021, 07:48:06 PM »
I know I'm rather new but I thought I would document the concept and build of my engine right from the very first bubblings of the concept. I appreciate this is not going to work for everyone but I do like having a build diary, so feel free to ignore my ramblings! This will not be my first engine build, but it is my first freelance.

My initial thoughts are that I would like to capture specific elements of various engines that I like. I will not be modelling it on any specific engine type. Elements I would like to include:

• Two horizontal cylinders
  • Trunk Guides
  • An integral eccentric driven boiler feed pump
  • Possibly a flywheel between the cylinders, although I'm not certain about this yet, I'd happily move it to one side if the water pump "balances" the look
  • Good slow running capability
  • Slide valves
  • Capable of being transported as a display piece which can be fired.
  • Coal fired vertical boiler
  • Mounted on a plinth roughly A4 sized, or slightly larger
  • Integral water feed tank
  • Exhaust providing blast through the chimney of the boiler

I'm sure more will come to me, but this is a good starting point to scope my design.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Twin Cylinder Horizontal Engine & Vertical boiler
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 08:00:28 PM »
Sounds like a good list!

Offline Nobby Sideways

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 08:06:03 PM »
Thanks, I have a solid idea of what I like. I don't think any real life engine has this list but I'll just claim it as my own!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 08:21:08 PM »
That's going to be quite a bit smaller engine that you were originally talking about now that you want to get a boiler etc all onto the A4 foot print but should be interesting.

Will be interesting to see how a side rod or return crank arrangement to get the flywheel back between the cylinders works as they tend to use slide bars to guide the cross head rather than trunk guides :thinking:

Offline Nobby Sideways

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 09:52:46 PM »
I think the A4 part was primarily for the engine itself; I don't mind it creeping bigger to take into account the boiler!

Even as I've been writing these specs I'm thinking that the flywheel should be on one side to make life easier. I had in mind that I liked the symmetry of the flywheel in the middle, but if the water pump is on one side having the flywheel on the other side makes it more nicely balanced. Only a few hours in and we have evolution of the spec!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 08:51:41 AM »
So something more like this or a Stuart Score, just a bit more work on the crankshaft and an extra bearing or two required with that layout

Offline Nobby Sideways

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2021, 01:21:36 PM »
Yes I think so, but I think I'd have the valve chests on the outer faces to make it easier to maintain. That's a nice little layout there.

Offline Nobby Sideways

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 06:17:14 AM »
I managed to get some fairly large bronze castings for peanuts, giving a cylinder diameter of a little over an inch.

We are still in the very early stages, so I don't imagine I'll be updating this thread on a very regular basis, but I'm running through layout ideas as I go.

I think in order to keep progress linear I will concentrate on the engine itself for running on air to start with. My goal is to see how little pressure I can get it to tick over with.

Offline Nobby Sideways

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2021, 10:23:09 PM »
I've been scoping up the design and I'm not quite sure what to do about the bed. I like the cast bases of the Victoria and such, but without making a casting I'm not sure exactly how I can replicate that.

A friend of mine recently completed a fantastic little vertical boiler of his own design; I think I will be trying to replicate that to some extent.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 07:38:20 AM »
have a look at this thread and the lead up to it over on ME, encouraged by me he fabricated the beds for the Princess Royal version of the twin victoria. It's a bit long but covers how it's done quite well. I think I also mention the option to cut from solid 1" x 2" aluminium flat bar which probably would take about the same amount of time, maybe less if you just stitch drill out the waste.

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=168849&p=4

https://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=168605&p=4

His basically follow the Stuart casting but I did sketch up something a little different that could be made in the same way.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 07:45:59 AM by Jasonb »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal