Author Topic: A.C. Generator  (Read 6694 times)

Offline Rustkolector

Re: A.C. Generator
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 05:29:37 PM »
Airmodel
If you were to replace the magnets in your alternator design with the stronger rare earth magnets your voltage and power output would improve significantly. The problem will then become cogging. It can be managed, but your design has to incorporate features that will allow you to experiment with magnet arrangement. It is a process of try and try again until you are satisfied.

Ian S C
Using a small high pole count 3 phase auto type alternator stator with high strength permanent magnets for excitation,  rectification,  and voltage control is quite similar to your cycle hub dynamo. The only real problem is that the auto stator will likely need to be rewound to achieve a reasonable low speed voltage. Keep in mind, I only use the auto alternator stator. 

Jeff

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
Re: A.C. Generator
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2016, 02:30:12 PM »
Yes, with some work making a permanent magnet armature, and rewinding the stator, you can get a bit more efficiency.  They do tend to be a bit light on the amount of iron in the field.
I suppose it is possible to disassemble the claw armature, I tried on one, but I didn't have a press, and a 5lb hammer didn't do it.

Ian S C

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal