Author Topic: MEX Brooklands 2016  (Read 7158 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: MEX Brooklands 2016
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2016, 06:19:35 PM »
The judges or the modellers?

I get the feeling that the judges have their arms bent but at the end of each show I hear them say never again, trying to say one person's work is better than another  :hellno: always leaves them feeling very unhappy.

The Modellers: I think a lot of them thought they were only entering into the load section then found someone had ticked the competition box on their behalf :hammerbash: There are a few who need to have their ego boosted to prove they are, as they already knew, the greatest  :disappointed:

A comment I heard was that Cherry H was very pleased that her Burrell Showman's engine did not win the DoE trophy that year someone else did that year. The reason? The type of model was not unique, her's did not require extensive personal research  to be able to make the model in the first place. Major prize winning models are a long throw from going out into your workshop to make some swarf because you enjoy it   :ShakeHead:

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2016, 08:26:41 PM »
I don't think we actually get to see the Judges comments sheet or how the award was arrived at. Infact they don't have a sheet to score a model on, if you look at my photos there are two Judges one has the scores in his little black book the other is holding a torch so they can have a good look at the detail.

They are not judges 1st, 2nd, 3rd in each class but awarded a Medal - Gold, silver, bronze, highly commended, commended. If no models in a class get enough marks no gold will be awarded that year. I have a feeling why some people were asked to move their models from load (display only) to the competition was that the numbers entered in the comp were quite low, I was asked if I would mind having mine moved from loan to comp, don't think it was done without asking.

The Judges have a number of points they can award to a model for several different aspects

- Originality and research. Someone who measures up an old engine and produces a model will score better than one made to a well known design where castings etc are available

- Suitability of materials,Someone who has made patterns and had parts cast will score better than another who has glued an easy to work material together, there is no hiding the fact under paint as they have a magnet in their pockets

- Workmanship, This is where a well made casting kit could score better than a roughly made original design. You will also suffer in this section if you have bought in commercial gears, laser cut parts, etc (items not by you have to be noted on your entry form)

- Finish and presentation, Nice nuts and stud ends, good paintwork, display base etc will gain you points

- There are a few other items but you should get an idea of whats what.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2016, 08:31:57 AM »
I see the gongs have gone up at the show  :naughty:.

But for some reason the forum software won't let me load the pictures  :LittleDevil:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2016, 11:43:47 AM »
Many thanks to Jo and to Jason for giving a good photo overview of the show.  JR72 and I went to the MEX yesterday, I realised later having got home that we seemed to have never actually found a chunk of the exhibition, which included the Guildford club stand......   So feel like a bit of an idiot, but in fairness, the layout of the various exhibition areas within the ( fascinating) Brooklands sheds and many buildings was not the easiest to work out.  But the time not spent with the models was well spent examining the marvellous cars and motorbikes, and historic displays, and it made an unusual and absorbing day out.
 Trade area was extremely disappointing as commented on by others, but I was able to conveniently collect my large and heavy 3 axis DRO set up from Machine DRO.  Just got to fit it now....

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2016, 06:05:20 PM »
More photos from Sunday including a few more locos, boats etc in this slideshow or in the album

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal