Author Topic: Demotivated by fixture makeing  (Read 4278 times)

Offline AOG

Demotivated by fixture makeing
« on: June 30, 2016, 01:45:46 AM »
I am working on the next part for my Elmer's beam engine and I have to make two little alignment pins for my rotary table. They are simple turning excercises that will take me 20 minutes tops to make. The thing is I hate makeing tooling and fixtures. I acknowledge their necessity but they kill my motivation. I've been procrastinating for the last three days. Ok I've gotten my rant out of the way now I'm going to go force myself to go make the pins. I can't do any of the fun stuff until I have the necessary tooling.

Tony

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Demotivated by fixture makeing
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 01:55:44 AM »
That's the ticket Tony, like the Nike folks say..."just do it."  Then you can get back to the fun stuff. I am not that fond of making fixtures or tooling either, but having seen how much better the results can be and the ease of achieving them through fixtures, it does lessen the pain somewhat :)

Bill

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 02:03:41 AM »
Interesting.  Tooling and fixturing is the main thing that interests me. I don't even contemplate model engines.
Too bad we aren't neighbors. :-)
   ...lew...

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 03:06:14 AM »
Tony
Send Lew the drawings. When he sends back the fixture, send him a case of beer or a bottle of Scotch. Problem solved.
For locating pins, I just keep a dowel pin assortment. Drill holes, Loctite the pin.
Best,
Stan

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 03:51:35 AM »
Been there. Still there.

More often than not...just do it...and you feel really good.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 04:03:02 AM »
So far I'm really enjoying making tools and fixtures. It still amazes me to be able to "make the tools and fixtures" to "make the parts".  :) Especially when I get to use these things multiple times.  :whoohoo:

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline rklopp

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2016, 05:37:20 AM »
For me, botching a part because I used half-baked work holding instead of a proper fixture is motivation enough. BTDT way too many times in my youth.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2016, 07:35:02 AM »
In my youth  :old: I used to go out of my way to avoid make any tooling but over the years I have come to enjoy making the odds and ends of the tooling. Normally tooling needs nice and simple stuff so it gives me a break from the more complicated parts that often involves lots of calculations and handle winding  :facepalm2:

I couldn't make the triples without using jigs and fixtures  ;)

Jo
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:46:13 AM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 08:38:45 AM »
For me its not the destination that I enjoy most, it's the journey.

So that will inevitably mean making more fixtures and buying more tooling.
We are all different, some want a model engine to play with as soon as possible, and others enjoy the little challenges and inventing ways to overcome them.

Phil

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 11:14:48 AM »
Jigs and fixtures are a fundamental part of production engineering, whether you're making a one off or volume. While I wouldn't describe fixture making as fun, the same is true of machining the part. Both are simply a means to an end. The interesting part is the design and understanding why the part is the way it is.

I'd agree with rklopp, it's better to take the time to do it properly with a well thought out fixture rather than ruin a part, or have the machine spit it out - been there done that!

Here's a picture of a fixture I made recently from an offcut of aluminium jig plate to bore and internally groove my eccentric straps:

Using a fixture like this means all the parts are the same to a tolerance, better than a thou on the bore in this case. That makes it easier in the future as one doesn't have to machine mating parts individually to fit each eccentric strap.  :ThumbsUp:

Andrew

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 11:29:08 AM by jadge »

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 12:06:59 PM »
Often, a jig or fixture is a safer way to make a part. Rounding the ends of some part or other with fingers close to a spinning end mill is not good. Having the part held by other than your fingers is much better.
While it may take a bit of time to make the workholding apparatus for an op that takes a few seconds, it's quicker than sitting in the ER awaiting your turn.
The other reason, as Jo said, is producing repeatably correct multiple parts.
Best,
Stan

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2016, 03:43:34 PM »
I try to turn my jig-making requirements into engineering design problems.  How can I turn these jig requirements into a generalized tool that can be used for a multiple number of tasks in the future?  Since design and tool-making are my primary interests, this turns a task into a fun exercise.

Obviously, this approach isn't used for every jig requirement; when I need a locating pin I just drill a hole and stick a pin in it without a lot of thinking.  But when I come up with a seemingly useful generalized tool, I get the further satisfaction of documenting it for one of the fora I frequent.  Since writing is another favorite activity for me, this makes jig-making even more fun.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2016, 06:20:50 PM »
How can I turn these jig requirements into a generalized tool that can be used for a multiple number of tasks in the future?

This is what I was thinking while reading this thread. Now if I just had the skill and knowledge to follow through, oh and the discipline to take the time to make the generalized jig. Yep, same problems we all have (except maybe for Marv :-) ).

Hugh
Hugh

Online mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2016, 06:49:20 PM »
Now if I just had the skill and knowledge to follow through, oh and the discipline to take the time to make the generalized jig...

My opinion is that, if you can't manage your discipline and patience issues, this is definitely not the hobby for you.

Not implying that it applies to you, Hugh, just one of my philosophical observations.  I've known and worked with too many folks who waste enormous effort getting things done quickly and without organizational forethought. They're so proud of themselves despite the fact that the product is pure stercus.

One aspect of this that particularly galls me is the effort people will go to in order to avoid a learning opportunity.  Using a CAD program to solve a simple trig problem is a classic example.  Searching the web for a calculator or table for numbered screw sizes rather than learning a simple formula is another.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2016, 01:47:04 AM »
I try to turn my jig-making requirements into engineering design problems.  How can I turn these jig requirements into a generalized tool that can be used for a multiple number of tasks in the future?  Since design and tool-making are my primary interests, this turns a task into a fun exercise.
:-)  A former boss of mine had a saying, Creeping generalization.  When I would do the same thing while designing some gadget or test equipment. :-)
   ...lew...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal