Author Topic: Ray Hasbrouck # 5 engine  (Read 5928 times)

Offline Ken K

Ray Hasbrouck # 5 engine
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:45:02 PM »
I made the engine from plans I ordered on line. Fair size engine, two 1.75" bore cylinders. The plans were very good, as all the parts fit. The only problem I had was there were no clearance listed on fitting the parts, like the pistons was same diameter as cylinders, so had to open them up, to free up engine. Plans show a hand wheel for forward/reverse, which was very slow, so changed to lever system

Offline tvoght

• Indiana
Re: Ray Hasbrouck # 5 engine
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:13:32 PM »
Nice looking engine. Looks like a worker.

--Tim

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 12:06:12 AM »
Very nice Ken, are you running on air or steam? Either way i suspect it has a voracious appetite!!

Bill

Online steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 07:39:25 AM »
Hi Ken,

I know some people who put that in their steamboat.   It's a runner for sure

Ray would have been pleased!    Is this your first engine?   Tell us about your shop.

Regards,

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jack

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 01:27:18 PM »
I just finished a #10 in half size and I can see some similarities. Your engine looks great, we would like to see a video of it running.  But then probably everyone tells you that.

Good job, you done well.

Jack

Offline Ken K

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 10:51:20 PM »
I plan to run the engine on air, but have not tried to run it yet. I only have a small air compressor, so have to take it to a friends, that has a big compressor.
 Started building engines about 12 years ago. As I had no machining background, went to the local Junior College,  took lathe, mill, and CNC classes. Bought a Craftsman 12" lathe, drill/mill, and Taig CNC mill. Did all the small parts at home, as they had open lab at the JC shop, were I could do the large parts. With the budget mess, they cut the class, so I got a Bridgeport mill, and Grizzly 12" lathe.
  I have built over 40 casting kits, most of them hit miss type. Some years back, read in a magazine that with the kit makers getting old, and the foundry problems people were having, if you want a kit buy it NOW. At one point, had over 20 kits, in the garage, which a lot of, you can no longer buy. Down to one, un-started kit, that is why, I made the steam engine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal