Author Topic: Guildford Thingy  (Read 12258 times)

Online Bluechip

• Derbyshire
Guildford Thingy
« on: June 27, 2016, 08:00:53 PM »
I might just have a little look-see at this as I will be going to Hemel Hempstead to deliver some stuff on Sunday. Take the opportunity to pay homage to the Triple Orphans etc.

Trying to persuade another party to meet me at Toddington S/Bound to transfer said bits in which case it's just a quick flip around the M1, M25 & A3 ....  :headscratch:

BUT .. after the Doncaster debacle, which did  nothing for my well-being, would some kind soul take a look at the att. snip from Bing maps and tell me where the entrance is?

Looks like I turn right off the London Rd. and then immediate right and park in some jungle thing ??

I cannot imagine I continue up the side road and park on the cricket pitch ...  :thinking:

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Guildford Thingy
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 08:06:24 PM »
Entrance is by the "L" of london. The actual site entrance is just on the right as you turn in off the main road. Free parking is in the main field which you get to by carrying on down that road opposite the L. (they rope off the cricket pitch)

http://www.gmes.org.uk/find.htm

J
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 08:11:24 PM by Jasonb »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 08:16:03 PM »
I might just have a little look-see at this as I will be going to Hemel Hempstead to deliver some stuff on Sunday. Take the opportunity to pay homage to the Triple Orphans etc.

:whoohoo:

There is a second entrance down at the bottom of the lane where they will get you to park on the field which opens on to the traction engine field. Looking forward to seeing you Dave  8)

Jo

P.S. Good footwear may be useful, it has been a bit damp  ::)
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 08:17:29 PM »
Try this snip.

Red X show site entrances, either main one by teh clubhouse or back entrance to north of site.

ME is in the large marquee, choo choos in top field with some traders and boat pond

Traction engines and more traders in lower field.

Parking follow the blue dots onto the mud grass ;)

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 09:45:16 PM »
Hi guys, and gals,

Thanks for the directions and I shall be there on Saturday morning, with wellies in the boot.

Hoping to meet you Jason, as well as Jo and Mike "Vixen" who are all local to me.

Mike
"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 10:14:23 PM »
There will no doubt be many more of us: Eric the Muddled Engineer will be there, as will Chipswitheverything (= Dave who lives a few miles from you Mike) and JR72. Then I can't see Tangler not turning up with his good lady  8) And there are a few others of you who you know I am looking forward to seeing again :embarassed:

If anyone doesn't want to park on the possibly soft grass there is a nice free tarmac carpark in easy walking distance over the road at the Spectrum leisure Centre, just off "Parkway" = A25. I will be packing my walking boots just in case it is soft as I don't want to be in risk of sinking into the ground when I trying to carry my heavy goodies back to the car  :naughty:

Jo
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:18:50 PM by Jo »

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 10:16:11 PM »
It doesn't appear that you could park many cars on the cricket pitch even if it weren't roped off
 :lolb:
Best,
Stan

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 10:25:20 PM »
:embarassed: I think you are referring to "the crease" the record is four Minis successfully parked in there without knocking over the stumps 8).

Jo
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 10:29:06 PM by Jo »

Online Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 10:43:16 PM »
Aha, we have a deal ...  :ThumbsUp:

He was offered a choice, either:

Get the stuff delivered FOC to Toddington. Or:
Get it from Derby at his own expense.

He accepted option 1, no guesses why. Only trouble is I have to get there no later than 07:30 'cos he's a shift worker.
05:00 start it seems. Wonder why I retired ..  :headscratch:

So, see you delightful folk Sunday with any luck ..

And thanks for clarifying the directions, nice to have some idea ..  :D

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 07:15:06 AM »
Leaving at 5am on a Sunday  :o

Don't worry if you arrive early while the rally doesn't officially open until 10am I will be there from 8am and the gates will let people in before that (especially if you claim you are looking to make contact with me before the show).  ;)

The traders accept money from about 9am in the bottom field  :naughty:.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 08:10:40 AM »
Jo, don't you have a nice 4 wheeled trolly to transport your purchases to the car? Something like this maybe

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 08:31:42 AM »
Its not Glastonbury  :lolb:

It is supposed to have rained every day since that deluge last Thursday  :headscratch: and we haven't seen any since. If it does it is due to have two days of drying out before the show  :) We have duck boards for the visitors to go over the areas which the vehicles might churn up..

The main problem with it being soggy will be collecting the models late on Sunday when everyone wants to get into the field at the same time  :facepalm: Which is why I am exhibiting "light" and will be looking for a man to help me escape  :naughty:

Jo

Online Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2016, 10:23:17 AM »
Leaving at 5am on a Sunday  :o

Don't worry if you arrive early while the rally doesn't officially open until 10am I will be there from 8am and the gates will let people in before that (especially if you claim you are looking to make contact with me before the show).  ;)

The traders accept money from about 9am in the bottom field  :naughty:.

Jo

At least it will be light @ 5AM ...  :ThumbsUp:

This traders accepting money arrangement .... with Sterling on it's ear'ole, I'm beginning to think my legacy books of Green Shield Stamps may be worth a small fortune. Hmmmmm  any chance do you think ??

Dave

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2016, 11:16:49 AM »
In my experience they accept English beer tokens or EU Wine as part of their price negotiations  :naughty:

But don't let Muddled Engineer near any beer  :ShakeHead: Tug gave him four bottles a couple of years back and as he was banned from driving a the time (medical reasons) he decided to opened one and drunk it in the show tent  :facepalm2:

Jo

Offline tangler

• Christchurch, UK
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 12:41:34 PM »
Then I can't see Tangler not turning up with his good lady

:ThumbsUp:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal