Author Topic: Martin Die Filer  (Read 4670 times)

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
Martin Die Filer
« on: June 11, 2016, 03:18:07 PM »
I just finished the Martin Die Filer that I bought at Cabin Fever 2015. There were some issues in the build that I can speak to if anyone is interested, and I have lots of build photos. (Got that, Eric?)
Anyhow, it is a nice little machine, and is painted with GM Dark Grey Metallic, looks like a machine should.
I built it with steel crankshaft and steel bearing and polished the crank to fit resulting in nice smooth running. If there are problems, I will replace the bearing with brass later.
Hope you enjoy, get your popcorn and sit back.
Mosey

Offline Mosey

Re: Martin Die Filer
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 03:27:24 PM »
Here are the photos that are too large to fit in the file.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 04:56:53 PM »
Nice job Uncle Mosey  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:. You certainly shouldn't be lacking in the power and torque department.  Nice paint too,  but,  I'd have to do something about those mounting bolts  :facepalm:.

Cletus

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 05:28:07 PM »
Looks good Mosey!    I have to get going on mine ....after the indexer maybe...

Dave

"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Mosey

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 05:35:20 PM »
Nice job Uncle Mosey  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:. You certainly shouldn't be lacking in the power and torque department.  Nice paint too,  but,  I'd have to do something about those mounting bolts  :facepalm:.

Cletus
OK, grandpa, what kind of bolts do I have to get? (pictures, huh!!) Its only a 1/4 HP motor, and Big Don might tell me how to cut a little switch into the power cord. 3 wires, 115vac ?
Mosey

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 05:39:34 PM »
Very nice. Oliver likes it!
Whatever bolts, they need a spot face under the heads on the casting. They can focus the force on a small point on the casting. The spot face distributes the load.
Best,
Stan

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 06:02:20 PM »
Mosey buddy you done good. Nice looking die filer but I echo what the rest has said about the bolts........ :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline Mosey

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 06:11:38 PM »
Mosey buddy you done good. Nice looking die filer but I echo what the rest has said about the bolts........ :ThumbsUp:

Don
Don youre right, its just what I had.

Very nice. Oliver likes it!
Whatever bolts, they need a spot face under the heads on the casting. They can focus the force on a small point on the casting. The spot face distributes the load.
Thanks Stan.
They do have spotfaces, just a little small for the bolts I used. I guess its back to the mill for refacing.
This filer doesn't take much metal off, maybe I need coarser files?
Mosey

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 06:36:24 PM »
Die filers are really finishing and refining  tools. Courser files are fine. Die filers run slowly for increased control. When I need to remove more metal than Oliver likes, I'll use the 1" belt sander with 3M Trizact belts then finish at the filer.
Best,
Stan

Offline Mosey

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 06:57:41 PM »
How about bolts from the bottom with acorn nuts on top?
M.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2016, 07:16:42 PM »
 :lolb: Its a tool.

Cut a bigger spotface, use the same bolts with the right size lands under the heads,  job done  ;)

Jo

P.S. You might want to get rid of the lettering on the heads... assuming the bolts aren't plated  :Doh:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 09:36:12 PM »
:lolb: Its a tool.

Cut a bigger spotface, use the same bolts with the right size lands under the heads,  job done  ;)

Jo

P.S. You might want to get rid of the lettering on the heads... assuming the bolts aren't plated  :Doh:

Actually....if mosey wants some acorn nuts....he should get em....made out of what ever material he likes......cause it's his.       
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 10:25:17 PM »
Nice job Mosey and I like the color!! I guess I am going to have to consider making one of these things. If you post more pictures, can you downsize then some. 800x600 works well and downloads a lot faster!

Bill

Offline Mosey

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 10:28:55 PM »
Thanks very much for your comments.
Yes, Bill you have to make one!
I will resize and repost the pics, just made em big so he could see em all the way back in the hills of Tennessee.
Mosey

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 02:28:05 AM »
Mosey--Nice build!! I have never seen a die filer, and of course watching your video and looking at the still pictures, I figured the drive mechanism must be similar to a Scotch-yoke engine, but I wasn't sure. Of course, I immediately tried out my Google-foo skills, and came up with this great video. I'm not sure how much real application something like that would have in my little shop, but it is very interesting and it shows the mechanism very clearly..---Brian
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqTPYqCUC8Q" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqTPYqCUC8Q</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal