Author Topic: Roll Pins  (Read 5079 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Roll Pins
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2016, 12:55:30 AM »
That fulfills my Learn Something Today requirement, Stan & company had educated me in other posts on taper pins, had not heard of the ones with the screw end. Clever item!

Offline dunstrugglin

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2016, 12:44:44 AM »
I use to design and build plastic pipe welding machines I used roll pins to lock the hydraulic cylinder piston to the shaft the reason for this was to make the cylinder as short as possible but with the most travel, the pins (we use to call them Bissel pins presumably after the makers)I pushed one inside the other two pins in tandem so to speak they never came loose or broke and this was in cylinders of up to 3ins in Dia.

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 02:03:51 AM »
Stan:

Taper pins are pretty neat. Good for locational fits. I think you'd have to drill & taper ream both together, hub and arm, for good enough alignment to assemble. I've drilled/tapped the large end and built a simple puller to get them out of my lathe.

I see you've done this already. But, could you have blind drilled both the arms and hub. Oversize ream (.126") all then trap a pin (.125") between the  parts of they can't escape. Might have worked but I'm late to the rodeo.

Nice work, thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 02:40:35 AM »
Hugh
That's exactly what I ended up with. .125 dowel pins in .126 holes. Perfect and removable.
Best,
Stan

toolznthings

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 03:04:28 AM »
Hi,

For those who may not know. Dowel pins come in oversize and undersized diameters. McMaster stocks them.

Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal