Author Topic: Another slitting saw Arbor  (Read 2810 times)

Offline Chipswitheverything

Another slitting saw Arbor
« on: August 04, 2016, 02:06:32 PM »
When Pete ( 10K Pete ), put up some pictures of his neat slitting saw arbor not long ago, it reminded me that I needed a 1/2" dia. arbor for a few nice slitting saws with side as well as peripheral teeth that I bought on a stall way back.  ( Got plenty of 1" bore saws and an arbor that I made in the distant past..., but I couldn't use the smaller bore saws. )

Decided against the configuration used by Pete, as the 1/2" size meant that the cap screw dia. to secure the cutters would be a bit on the small side.  ( I see that one of the Chiwanese suppliers does offer a 1/2" bore arbor done in this way, with stepped washers up to the 1" size - apart from the objection above, the drawbar thread size is metric, and I'd as soon stick with the 3/8 Whit size as per most of my MT2 kit ).

So, this arbor is just done in the usual design, with a 1/2" BSF thread on the end nut.  Screwcut the internal thd. about 80% depth to take the meat out of the tapping operation, and finished with a tap.
Don't know what the convenient chunk of bar for the main component that I found in the scrapbox was. It turned well with a fine cut, but work hardened and was a bit of a pig when I wanted to get the metal off with a decent depth of cut.
 Didn't have a suitable die, so screwcut the external thread.

Re. the other odd pictures, it was nice to use the Tom Senior dividing head for once, as it suited holding the MT2 taper. As I can't transfer chucks from the Myford, it doesn't see much application.   I picked up some simple collets to fit the taper at the Guildford show, so might get to use the head a bit more...

Dave

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Re: Another slitting saw Arbor
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2016, 02:22:45 PM »
That looks the business, Dave! I went the other way to allow cutting closer to the vise/table. Overhead is very
limited on the BenchMaster. But, I also need to make a 1/2" arbor and have been thinking about the issue with
the smaller screw. I dunno. Maybe. Maybe not! I'll finger sometin owt....

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 09:22:07 PM »
I chose to make my slitting saw arbours back to front so to speak, I particularly wanted to minimise the amount of arbour protruding outboard of the slitting saw so I could use it up close to a vice.

These are a set of four for the Boley & Leinen jig borer.

And one of them in use on the machine.

The attached PDF file below shows the principle.

Phil

Offline JR72

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 07:40:58 AM »
Hi Dave
Another nice job, and good to see you using your own thread cutting tool. I really must find the time to do more thread cutting on the lathe, after all that's why I have a gear box. Trouble is you make everything look so easy. Glad you have yet something else to show me.
See you soon

John

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 08:46:13 AM »
Well, I hit a wall today with the arbor I made. I wanted to use it to divide an eccentric strap I was making for a steam
boat engine. Full size boat engine. The eccentric is 3" dia.

The saw wasn't far enough below the mill head and the top half of the eccentric wouldn't fit under! This is a BenchMaster
remember, and doesn't have a moveable quill. So I band sawed the strap and milled the ends.

So I've been thinking all day how to solve this problem (other than buying another mill) and I think I'm going to make
a new 'plug' or center and a spacer. The plug will go in where the arbor center goes now, only it will be about 1 1/2"
longer, the the spacer will be the same longer. Add a longer bolt and it should be good. Still very short on the end
just longer in the body with the spacer.

I'll post a pic when I do it.

I like the arbors you made, pgp001. Very trim and functional. No extra material and no weak looking places.

Pete
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 08:49:21 AM by 10KPete »
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal