Author Topic: Smallest Rider-Ericsson pumping engine so far ?  (Read 3032 times)

Offline modelman 1938

Smallest Rider-Ericsson pumping engine so far ?
« on: June 12, 2016, 10:02:19 PM »
The Rider-Ericsson pumping engine has always been popular with model engine builders and casting kits are available for 1ins 2ins & 3ins models. I do not build from kits myself preferring to scratch build from plate and bar stock and have built one 1 1/2ins bore and one 1ins bore and both worked out well. Last year I built the "Vickie" stirling engine from plans with a .60 ins bore cylinder which required the making of a .60 ins lap to finish the bore. When the engine was finished rather than discard the lap never to be used again, I decided to build a further engine to use this lap and so scaled down my 1ins Rider-Ericsson by a factor of .6. When scaling down the screw fixing soon become very small and were only 8ba &10ba. When I was a draughtsman working on instrumentation work I never had any hesitation in calling up 12 ba tapped holes in stainless steel much to the protests from the machine shop, but I just used to say no bother, but now in my own workshop I never go down below 10ba in mild steel and its funny how one views change.
The little engine worked out well and pumped a fair bit of water, the only problem being that water leaked around the pump rod and I wished I had enough room to fit a pump gland with soft packing but there is not room, I wish I had lowered the pump a little but it is too late now, may be on the next one.
 Hugh
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwNr18jXKbM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwNr18jXKbM</a>

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Smallest Rider-Ericsson pumping engine so far ?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2016, 10:07:03 PM »
Wonderful little engine!  Very nice!

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2016, 10:09:25 PM »
After making the ¼ scale, I'm very impressed with yours. Beautiful runner and a major machining triumph!
Bravo
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2016, 10:56:06 PM »
Lovely little engine Hugh. Still one of my favorites as well. I first watched the video on my phone and it appeared the engine had rubber legs as it was dancing all about. So I looked again on the laptop and same thing. No doubt just a youtube anomaly but it was curious none the less. Either that or I have had one too many G&T's this afternoon... :lolb:

I am close to the finish line on the Vickie as well...do you happen to have a video of yours running, would love to see it if you do.

Bill

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2016, 11:23:43 PM »
Although it may be the G&Ts, it's actually a phenomenon called "rolling shutter".
Cell phones (and some point n shoot still/video) record video one line at a time. "Real" video cameras capture the full frame all at once.
Any cell phone movement creates the rubber legs on the engine. A camera support will stop the problem.
You may continue drinking with impunity.
Best,
Stan

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 11:30:32 PM »
Oh thank you Stan, I had never seen that phenomenon before. Time for another g&t while I grill dinner  ;)

Bill

Offline 777engman

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 06:01:33 AM »
Thanks for the advice on the anodising am just now in the process of tooling up for doing it, fittings etc to mount the parts on properly, loving the build of this engine mate very nice work indeed. cant wait to hear it running, your v8 was most excellent

cheers for now
Dean

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal