Author Topic: Free Bentonite  (Read 14043 times)

Offline dalem9

Free Bentonite
« on: June 10, 2016, 05:48:15 PM »
I have a lot of bentonite given to me I am willing to share  Just pay shipping or pickup . I am in Lakeport Michigan . PM me for more info 

Offline dalem9

Re: Free Bentonite
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 07:36:53 PM »
This offer is still good. Well be glad to share!

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 08:05:15 PM »
Wish I was closer, I do need some for sand casting and it is EXTREMELY expensive where I am  (Ontario Canada near Toronto). One quote was $1000 for a 40 kg bag. Sodium silicate which I also need is very hard to find and also extremely expensive. Thanks for offering the Bentonite to the forum members!
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline dalem9

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 02:49:43 AM »
I live 10 miles north of the bridge, at that rate you could make a day trip here. We could have lunch and talk casting.and shop. The bags are 100 lb. bags and you can have planty to make you trip worth it. Here is a picture of a wheel I cast. Have a great day. Dale

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 02:55:27 AM »
Is the border open these days? Last I heard you couldn't get back and forth between US and Canada due to covid restrictions.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 02:55:28 PM »
Hi Chris, yes, the border is still closed. Travel to the US for me is not an option for health and cost reasons, in any case. Thanks to Dalem for the thought and offer though. 10 years ago I'd be packing up the truck for the trip right now!     :cheers:

Offline awake

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 06:49:58 PM »
What a wonderful offer! I wish I were close enough to take advantage of it.

I have grand plans to get into casting "some day," and my plan for bentonite was to crush and sift plain kitty litter - my understanding is that it is mostly bentonite.

With that in mind, it occurs to me that I can offer free bentonite to anyone in my area. It is used ... will that be a problem? :D
Andy

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 07:10:17 PM »
I would like to take you up on the offer but I am working 7 days a week and dont see it ending for another month or so.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2020, 07:53:40 PM »
Awake - if the lumps in the used stuff are same size you need for your cores, nope, no problem.  :Lol:

Might be some odd odours from the foundry.....  :paranoia:            :Lol:

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2020, 09:41:34 PM »
that's very generous of you dalem9.

I do need some for sand casting and it is EXTREMELY expensive where I am  (Ontario Canada near Toronto). One quote was $1000 for a 40 kg bag.

I guess I really don't know what its worth, but that seems incredible.  at 1000 a bag my foundry customers should have it under lock and key.  Are you sure that isn't some special refined grade, food or snake oil, i mean medicinal? (its used for all kinds of things, cosmetics etc.).   

Have you tried foundry supply vendors, Smelko?  100lb of bentonite will make literally a ton of green sand....so maybe just buy a 100lb bag of premix?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 04:02:39 PM by Mcgyver »

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2020, 10:37:00 PM »
The $1000 quote is not a typo and was from a foundry supply firm (not Smelko). Just good old fashioned Canadian profiteering, seeing what the market will bear. As soon as the guy heard I was not with a commercial foundry the prices shot through the roof.

I did try and get quotes from Smelko and the guy I spoke to there was talking about $200 for a 40 kg bag  of Bentonite clay last spring. He was really pushing me to buy supplies for  Petrobond moulding though, rather than Bentonite / oil sand. Petrobond from them was also very expensive, several hundred dollars for a few 5 gallon pails' worth. They do sell sodium silicate for making CO2 cores, but in big several - gallon buckets which are very costly. I only need a quart or so, and he did mention it has a shelf life and hardens soon after opening, so I do not want a big pail.

I did contact a local foundry I had worked with in industry and was able to buy a supply of used semi depleted oil / green sand (waste material, for them) for far less than other quoted options. It casts aluminum OK, but could use some Bentonite to improve the mould sand bond. May try the ground (new) cat litter idea, and try molasses/sand mix for cores.

I have been warned not to try and reclaim molasses from cores to then make cookies with, and also not to use Her Majesty's MixMaster to mull sand.  :Lol:

:cheers: everyone.

Offline dalem9

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 11:03:28 AM »
Thanks Guys, the cffer is good for as long as it last or I live. I have about 30 bags of it.It was given to me by a friend who sadly losted his place.  I can ship prepaid small amounts it you would like. You all have a great day and take care!

Offline dalem9

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 11:12:13 AM »
And Steve If you don't get some before the next show I will bring you a bag then. You will have to reminded me thou I am getting old.

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 04:10:51 PM »
The $1000 quote is not a typo and was from a foundry supply firm (not Smelko).

I just notice the word "don't" was missing from "really don't know what its worth".  I can make a model but can't type a sentence without missing a word.  Hopefully the meaning was conveyed

The other thing I mentioned was my foundry guy suggested a bag of premix.  Unless you have a huge amount to do, 40kg would make a about of ton of molds.  I'm thinking the premix couldn't be that much money as there's only going to be 5lbs or so of clay in a 100lb bag

I'm going to try lost wax soon from a three printer pattern so hopefully I won't need any clay, but I'd very tempted to try plain clumping cat litter before spending a fortune (or a field trip to Dales when we get to somewhat normal).  No experience, but  I wonder if it even needs to be ground?  I've use cat litter on spills and turns to slimy clay pretty easily....might be worth a small experiment with a bit water, sand, litter and the Armstrong muller
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 04:16:04 PM by Mcgyver »

Offline awake

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2020, 07:51:10 PM »
Awake - if the lumps in the used stuff are same size you need for your cores, nope, no problem.  :Lol:

Might be some odd odours from the foundry.....  :paranoia:            :Lol:

Oh, now that's a thought. Wonder if I can train the cats to pee in the proper patterns?
Andy

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal