Author Topic: Elmer's #43  (Read 57882 times)

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Elmer's #43
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2016, 03:56:17 AM »
Finally got something done to document.

Milled the material for the cylinder.

Spot drilled, drilled and tapped the base mounting holes.

Center drilled for the cylinder bore.

Mounted in the 4 jaw on the lathe and then using my "Marv inspired" pump center and my "Chris inspired" dial indicator mount, I dialed in the 4 jaw in preparation for boring the cylinder. I was amazed just how well this combination worked. A few minutes (the first time) and it was within .0005!  :cartwheel:

Jim
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:16:44 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2016, 04:12:43 AM »
Nice!  Gotta love it when new tools and techniques work out so well!   :cheers:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2016, 02:55:16 PM »
Still making some great progress Jim. Wow...your vise sure looks a lot better than mine though :). Always look forward to your updates!!

Bill
« Last Edit: July 01, 2016, 01:49:50 AM by b.lindsey »

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2016, 03:00:43 PM »
Chef, looking good :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:. The fly cutter looks to leave a very nice finish. Carry on :cheers:

Cletus

toolznthings

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2016, 03:26:09 PM »
Hi,

Looks good ! Still following along on the build progress.  :ThumbsUp:

Brian

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2016, 03:31:26 PM »
I'm glad to see the pump center is working for you but let me offer a suggestion...

If your DI has a flat disk tip, you don't have to worry about getting the DI exactly on the centerline of the lathe.  If you don't have such a tip they're easily made. 

Almost all my DIs have a 4-48 thread for the tip.  I don't know if this is a standard [Yeah, like there are standards in the Inferial world!] but the tips I've made with that thread seem to work OK.  1/48 in. pitch is close to 0.5 mm so one might get away with that since it's such a short engagement but I've never tried it.

I've made enough special purpose tips over the years that it was worthwhile to buy the 4-48 tap and die set.  Alternatively you may want to consider one of the tip sets, e.g...

https://www.amazon.com/T%C3%9CRLEN-Premium-DIGITAL-INDICATOR-POINT/dp/B0043F776I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467296598&sr=8-1&keywords=dial+indicator+tips

BTW, I see that Starrett is still trading on their reputation and offering stuff at downright silly prices...

https://www.amazon.com/Starrett-25R-Contact-Point-Indicators/dp/B0006J4CTA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1467296598&sr=8-4&keywords=dial+indicator+tips
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2016, 05:06:57 PM »
Looking good Jim and I am following but not commenting much........ :ThumbsUp:

Don  :popcorn:

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2016, 06:00:10 PM »
Jim:

Nice work. And "Stan" quality photos.

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2016, 06:05:06 PM »
Nicely done, Jim

Zee.............I'm actually a retired world famous chef.  :LickLips:

And your world famous recipe is...?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2016, 01:28:02 AM »
Good to see progress Jim; The finish on your parts looks great and your pictures are also very nice. I do like the indicator holder on the lathe; I need to make one for my Sherline.

Dave

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2016, 04:02:28 AM »
Thanks Guys for the support and encouragement. It really makes these builds enjoyable. Plus all the knowledge I gain from other folks along the way.

Bill, I wish my vise had all the experience your's does.................it's learning though!

Marv, thanks for the tip on tips! I like the idea of making tips as needed.

Zee, I'm actually in the "chef protection program", so I can't tell you my world famous recipe without risking getting discovered. I almost said "getting exposed" but decided I better not with this crowd!  :ROFL:

Dave, I saw enough pictures of Chris using this indicator setup that I could see the value of having one myself.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2016, 04:30:34 AM »
My original version of the dial holder was real high tech - two scrap chunks of aluminum bolted together with a couple mount bolts. Works great though. Glad its working out for you!   :cheers:

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #72 on: July 03, 2016, 03:52:11 AM »
Had a few hours in the shop this afternoon.

Drilled a hole in the cylinder large enough for the boring bar and then bored the cylinder to .500.

Took time out to inventory my Speedy Metals order that arrived yesterday. Should be a few parts in there.

Cut a piece of 5/8" square C360 and squared it up in the 4 jaw in preparation for making the cylinder head. There's probably several ways to make the head, but thought I'd try this way. We'll see if I work myself into a corner.  :???:

Squared the face.

Moved the 4 jaw to the RT on the mill and milled a boss (I think it's called) to fit into the cylinder.

Used my DTI to square up the piece and noted the reading on the RT dial.

Used my edge finder to locate the position of the mounting holes. (darn...... got too close for a good depth of field............again)!  :facepalm:

By using the previously recorded reading on the RT I was able to rotate the table 90 degrees at a time and spot drill for the mounting holes.

All in all not a bad day. Rode my Triumph up to Portland this morning for the Portland Triumph Riders breakfast (didn't want to leave food out of the post)  :LickLips: , watered the garden, and got a little machining done!

Jim
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:24:45 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2016, 02:25:18 PM »
Got a little more work done.

Drilled the mounting holes.

Moved the chuck back to lathe and parted off.

Moved to the mill and milled to correct thickness.

Trial fit

Next up...............the Head and Guide.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 12:28:49 AM by Flyboy Jim »
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2016, 03:00:10 PM »
Nicely done Jim! I am at the beach this week with family, so my shop time is watching you guys.  ;)

Bill

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal