Author Topic: my new workshop  (Read 6593 times)

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

my new workshop
« on: May 31, 2016, 03:54:18 PM »
Hi all,

Seeing the recent spate of people posting photo's of their workshops, and being reminded by Jo that I still had to post mine, I am trying my hand at adding photos to a posting for the first time and if all works well then will try to post a build log go Stuart Harts Trilogy of engines, which is work in progress.

I initially joined this wonderful site in February 2014 with a view to retiring at the same time, however things did not go to plan and it was not until October 2015 that I finally joined the ranks of the retired older generation, or so called baby boomers.

My workshop initially was the garage space, albeit shared with the usual household implements like washing machines, freezers etc. so late last year work started on extending the garage by just over 20ft in length with a good working height, hopefully for a Bridgeport mill.

The construction seemed to take ages, mainly due to the weather, but was finished just before Xmas and then the real work started with relocating current machines, installing new machines and sorting out shelving.

I have a vast collection of photos of the work but am limiting this posting to just the machinery and general layout.

Hoping someone may find something useful in the collection and also looking forward to seeing more workshop photos from like minded people.

Just as a note I am not a trained engineer, but a physicist who enjoys making things so am on a steep learning curve, though Jo has been extremely helpful with advice and practical demonstrations.

Mike 
"Everything I can't find is in a totally secure place"

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
Re: my new workshop
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 04:43:11 PM »
Nice setup Mike and I do like the shaper you have. I see you put the jacking pads under your mill, I remember you had asked about my mill. I do keep the casters on mine all the time, I just jack it up and level. That way when I move it to clean it's quiet easy. Enjoy you new shop bud you deserve it..... :ThumbsUp:

Don

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 05:01:01 PM »
That's an impressive space you have there Mike. I especially like the openness, and the window with a nice view!!

Bill

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 05:09:17 PM »
8) Nice

The next thing you need is some casting sets  :mischief:

Jo

Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 05:38:34 PM »
Very nice shop. It's always nice to have a dedicated space. Great view out into your garden.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 06:43:36 PM »
Hi Don,

Thank you very much for the comments and I do recall our conversations regarding castors and jacking screws and I am trying to find some nice sturdy castors for the shaper which I can then wheel around and jack up to steady when in use.

When I find some I post a few pics but in the meantime it is in its own little space but not altogether the best place for it with a view to access for the right hand side, which is the operators side.

Mike

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 06:48:07 PM »
Hi Jo,

It seems that something is rubbing off on me after visiting your workshops in that I now not only have three Stuart casting sets, the 10H, 10V and Wobbler, but I also have the PM #1 engine and of course the big Stothert & Pitt beam engine which I seemed to prize out of your grasp.

I am practising my new and developing skills on stock material engines in order to reduce costs generated by clumsiness and after I have finished the three Stuart Hart engines I shall start on the castings.

However, reading your fascinating journal of the orphans I can see that I am still miles away from being at your skill level so will take my time.

Mike

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 08:21:13 PM »
Nice setup Mike.
Love the window and you've given me some ideas for my own, hoped for, new workshop.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline stvy

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 10:24:00 PM »
Hi,

Many thanks for posting, it certainly provides food for thought.

One thing I noticed you have a hlv-h with the collet closer and a chuck mounted. Please note it is recommended to remove the drawbar from inside the spindle if you do not have a collet attached.

Enjoy the hlv-h! Whilst Jo correctly points out the need for casting sets I would also point out that a hlv-h owner can never have too many 5c collets and step chucks!

Steve

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 10:53:46 PM »
Hi Mike, thanks for sharing the photos with us. A very fine workshop indeed, and a collection of most interesting high quality machines. Have you used the shaper to any extent? I've always fancied the Boxford shaper, could have had a beautiful example a couple of years back, but lack of space sadly said no...  ( Added 20 feet to the shop..!!  how I wish! - looking at my neighbour's fence right behind my garage...)
 The Stuart No 10's are pretty little engines  - have you seen /got the excellent little MAP booklet that Edgar T Westbury wrote many years ago about making the No 10?, -  it's still a good primer on machining one.

Cheers, Dave

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 10:20:31 AM »
Hi Steve,

Totally agree with your comments about the draw bar with no collets  but the reason that you noted a collet and chuck at the same time was that I have the special one with the dead centre fitted and this helps when turning between centres as I can then use the four jaw chuck as the driver, whilst pretty much guaranteeing all is on centre without too much setting up time.

When I post my first Stewart Hart build I will take some time to explain the benefit of using a Hardinge over my Myford.

I now tend to find that I use collets more and more and my metric collection is spaced in  0.5mm steps so can pretty much accommodate all of my stock sizing, but also have imperial round and square, with hex to follow for a full set.

Mike

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 10:26:20 AM »
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the comments and my experiences with the little Boxford are still very limited and I am currently working on the tooling and have the Ian Bradley and "Duplex" books titled "Machine shaping and lathe tools" which are both very good with one being the 1971 edition and the other being the 1975 edition.

However, I am not aware of the Westbury book about building the number 10 engines and only have the Stuart Models version for building a vertical engine, so perhaps you could let me know the full title so that I can try to source it for my reference library, which seems to be growing rapidly.

Mike

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 10:22:33 PM »
Hello Mike,  this book ( photo ) is the one about the No 10.   I've just had a look for availability of it on the web, and it looks as if it's only around as a s/h item - prices a bit high perhaps, but worth a look for in the rummage boxes at shows...?  They are giving the publication date as 1974, but my now grubby copy was bought by me as a schoolboy for 2 bob in 1967!   The book states that it was based on articles originally in Model Engineer.  I've got a near complete run of ME from 1953 on through the 60's, and beyond, and I can't remember seeing the articles in the magazine. But that may just be my memory..!  If anyone just happens to know what year these articles were in, I'd be interested. 
 You don't want to know about the No 10 vertical that I started in , er, 1969 !! and still haven't quite got round to finishing.  ( But I will ! )  I was looking at what still needs doing this morning...
Cheers, Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 05:49:08 AM »
Very nice shop Mike!  I really enjoy seeing pictures of other people's work space and their toys!
Kim

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 08:05:06 AM »
The Stuart books are still available new from Tee Publishing: http://www.teepublishing.co.uk/books/stationary-steam-engines/

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 08:22:48 AM »
Hi Dave,

Thanks for heads up and though I have yet to find the book on the internet it looks very similar to the Stuart "building a vertical steam engine" book which I already have, though I will try to find it anyway.

Jo, thanks for the link to the library and they indeed have some great titles, especially from Tubal Cain, which I don't have yet, but will purchase in due course.

Thanks to all for the positive comments on my workshop and I will soon be publishing my build log for the Stewart Hart horizontal, but with a few differences, which I hope work in the way intended.

Mike

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 02:00:44 PM »
There is an article in vol 2993, 1958, by Exactus "Building a Steam Engine from Castings".  And Harold Hall has a series through 2010 "Beginners Guide to Building Steam Engines", this is based on the ST 10H/V engines.
Ian S C

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 02:23:19 PM »
I like the carpets ....are they Axminster perchance !!

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 02:38:23 PM »
Hi Ian, thanks for identifying the 1958 volume: -  these articles by "Exactus" , ie. ETW in this case, are exactly the same as the content of my little book.  They run week by week through from 2993 to the end of the year, 3002.  Trouble with getting out these old ME volumes to check something is that an hour + later on, you're still absorbed by them, and not done what you were meant to be doing!  The very old issues, up to the eighties,  were solidly full of excellent content even if the photos were compromised - some great contributors,  classic model engineering!   Dave

Offline Mike Bondarczuk

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 03:10:14 PM »
Hi SGW,

Don't recalls the origin of the carpet save that it came from the Middle East somewhere when we were there as a family for a good few years  8).

The only reason I still have it is that it was due to be thrown out as being too old, and a bit smelly from the old dog, so I checked it for size in the workshop and here it is and keeps my feet warm in the winter and also takes the pressure of the feet when standing for a long time.

Danged difficult to hoover as the sward from the mill and Myford seem to get into the weave, or is it the weft.

Mike

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal