Author Topic: Metric vs Inferial  (Read 32685 times)

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
Re: Metric vs Inferial
« Reply #150 on: May 20, 2016, 03:52:08 PM »
I noticed my bottle of Stella Artois lager is 11.2 fluid ounces. That is 331.2232 Milliliters. Now I understand the value of the metric system more fully.

Depends where you are. In the USA they sell Stella in funy sized bottles to suit the local market because they don't want Trumpy McTrumpface to start campaigning to build walls around the bottles at French expense for the new capital crime of "looking a bit foreign".

Like most beers, Stella is sold in bottles and cans to suit the customs of each market. To quote from the wiki page:

Stella Artois is available on draught and in several packaged sizes: 250 ml bottle, 275 ml bottle, 284 ml bottle, 330 ml bottle, 330 ml can, 440 ml can, 500 ml can, 660 ml bottle, 700 ml bottle, 985 ml bottle, 1 litre bottle, and pint-sized can known as "La Grande Bière" (568 ml).

If you buy it in a French supermarket you'll usually find either 250ml or one litre bottles, or half-litre cans. If you buy it in the UK or Germany you'll most likely find 330ml bottles or cans, although 24-bottle packs of the 250ml bottles are becoming popular as people found them when doing booze-runs to the hypermarkets of Calais. Other size cans and bottles have been produced for those parts of the world where drinking from a metric-sized bottle would cause severe distress to the colonials involved...

:stir:

PDR
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline Mosey

• Rosemont, New Jersey, USA
« Reply #151 on: May 20, 2016, 05:52:28 PM »
The Donald was in town Thursday and he said he was buying the British Isles and reconstructing the Pale so he could return Ireland to the Celts. The measuring system would also be restored using the more logical grán, ordlach, bas, dorn, troighid, céim, & forra.   :stir:
Mosey

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #152 on: May 20, 2016, 05:56:27 PM »
I issued formal notice to you chaps about revoking your independence back on 2000 - do I have to do it again?

>:D

AS

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #153 on: May 20, 2016, 06:23:13 PM »
I issued formal notice to you chaps about revoking your independence back on 2000 - do I have to do it again?

>:D

AS

You sure you'd want us back?!   :Lol:

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #154 on: May 20, 2016, 07:25:33 PM »
Oh we'd definitely welcome you back - at the moment we have to use northerners, whereas america would be a source of servants who understand personal hygiene...

:ROFL:

AS

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #155 on: May 20, 2016, 08:05:14 PM »
whereas america would be a source of servants who understand personal hygiene...

America is a big country. You may want to be a bit more specific.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #156 on: May 20, 2016, 08:25:22 PM »
Folks, I realize that there is some ongoing interest in the original topic of this thread. Its beginning to wander a bit far though. Let's please keep politics and personal hygiene out of it and stay on the topic. Thanks!

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #157 on: May 20, 2016, 08:26:00 PM »
Ok guys this has moved away from discussing metric or imperial and I have seen at least one Politician's name I fear in light of what is happening this side of the pond we are going down a slippery slope so I am going to lock this thread.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal