Author Topic: I have a wild hair that needs plucking  (Read 13407 times)

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
Re: I have a wild hair that needs plucking
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 01:51:16 AM »
Zee,
That's a great idea but where's the engine? Just kidding go for it. Last summer I bought a 33" long PT 109 made of wood. I've been trying to figure out what to do with it ever since. Need to learn more about RC boat stuff.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 01:59:31 AM »
Thanks Stan. I look forward to the link.

I've been trying to figure out what to do with it ever since.

Do with it? It's an achievement. Admire it. Show it off. Send it to me.  ;D
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 02:06:23 AM »
Zee, Are you nuts? Who cares! I quote again the French fisherman commenting on life," Everybody has the right to live out there own madness....". I think you are really mixing a relatively out of the ordinary idea, with some degree of personal eccentricity. This mix is often a marker of creative genius. Be honoured that you get such ideas and can step outside the box of mediocrity or just the plain average.

I respect Jerry's opinion as stated above but I have to add that I find limiting one's production of 'steam' engines to aluminium pneumatic approximations of the real thing is lacking a lot of 'soul' too. That said, there is much to be gained in going this way to develop understanding and for experimentation.

I am on the very start of, "bummer, too late for anything now.",but am still holding out against it, I hope it is not a delusion. So, Do it, don't agonise over it. Best of luck with all the copper rivets and invisible soft soldering (maybe waterproof modern adhesives might be appropriate nowadays). Regards, Paul Gough.

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 02:13:16 AM »
Guilty as charged.  Soulless.  But not heartless.
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 02:16:50 AM »
Zee,
Just seems like I should build a Packard V12 for it. :ROFL: I'm sure that's overkill. I got it cause I have an interest in boats, ships ect. recognize that I have a lot to learn and the boat is already made and it was $15, probably the cheapest part of the project. It came with a Kyosho Le Mans 360 pt motor, maybe that will make a good engine starter?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 02:20:57 AM »
Zee
This episode of Industrial Revalations has the hull plate stuff about 10 minutes in. The whole half hour is worth watching.
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,6114.0.html
Best,
Stan

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 02:37:33 AM »
Hi Zee,

Yes it's doable.

1st up you need a program such as Delfship which has a free version and you also need a reasonable lines plan, (Hull Profile midships, Hull Plan at main deck level and Body Plan or end on view of the hull)

You use these in Delftship to produce a 3D model of the hull.

This hull can then be run through a subroutine to produce developed plates as well as stations on which to mount the plates.

If you want to proceed let me know and I will help where I can.

Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 02:40:52 AM »
The museum by London is the Greenwich Maritime Museum.  Awesome place, it was the main reason I went to England years ago. That and the beer. Thier ship model collection is incredible. The observatory museum has Harrison's original chronometers. I nearly got beheaded at the Tower for taking pictures in the jewel house. They had no sense of humor.

Offline paul gough

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 02:41:34 AM »
Art, As Zee is going for a metal wooden ship and you are pondering what to do with your hull, might I suggest something a little eccentric. My idea would be less difficult and time consuming than the V12, it is to fit a flash boiler and a micro Tesla turbine. If you go to youtube and  look at the videos by, jonnyq90, you will get an idea of scale and pretty good construction possibilities. The boiler might be dispensed with by fitting a high pressure air reservoir, but steam would be more powerful. Hope this has some appeal. Regards, Paul Gough.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 02:42:40 AM »
Another thought, do a model of the Titanic, as it is now. Just need a bunch of rusty iron and a bathtub.    :lolb:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2016, 03:19:55 AM »
Thanks Paul. That means a lot.

Jerry...good to have heart.

Bob...thanks! Don't be surprised if I call on you. I did play with Delfship. Given what you said...I'll have to have another go at it.

Chris...I'll stick with Beagle. I may get a twofer.  :lolb:

It'll take some time. Things are getting in the way of machining...but I have drawing time.

Wild hairs have a tendency to fall out on their own...but this one sure seems to be tenacious. Like I said...I can't stop thinking about it. The definition of passion. A vital ingredient.
"To work. To work."

Offline paul gough

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 04:42:48 AM »
Zee, Take a look at this,<<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTOvPes2a8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTOvPes2a8</a> is the sort of thing everybody needs when they have doubts about the meaning of life, or the validity of what they do. This guy is a gem, and you can see more detailed descriptions of his bike on his own you tube site, search; LYN GENTRY or Extreme steam bike finally finished. Regards, Paul Gough.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 11:19:49 AM »
Pretty cool Paul. Thanks.
Like he said...kept him busy in retirement.

"To work. To work."

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 11:33:22 AM »
Hello Zee

A wooden sailing ship made entirely from metal? Are you mad? Are you going nuts? Well I do not think so. What you are proposing is a true stroke of genius, and could result in the most beautiful artist model of HMS Beagle.

I also have a life long interest in the wooden sailing ships of the early 19th century. particularly in true scale models. I live about 10 miles from  Portsmouth Navy Dockyard and the magnificent Royal Navy Museum. I have also visited the Greenwich Maritime Museum on many occasions. In both museums there are incredible models of all sizes in huge glass showcases. Many of these models are fully rigged, some show the hull construction, some are cross sections and some are the half models used to take the lines for constructing the full size vessels. The models are mostly made of wood and cordage, lots of cordage.

Perhaps one particular model captured my imagination most was a model of a frigate made by French prisoners of war. It was a model of a wooden ship but made entirely from animal (I hope) bone. The model was ivory, off-white, in colour with fine details picked out in black ink. The unusual colour did not spoil the appearance of the model, in fact it added to it. I am sure that an all metal model of a wooden sailing ship would also look superb.

The one thing I learned from my wooden sailing ship models is that the hull takes 30% of the time and the masts and rigging takes the rest. I also learned that the rigging is a real PITA. It is so fragile, impossible to keep away from the kids and their pets. It is a magnet for every speck of dust and impossible to clean. The completed model needs to be encased in a huge glass cabinet and where are you going to find the space to display that?

Like you Zee, the idea of an all metal wooden ship is running around in my head as well. What would I make if I still had enough time left ?

I like the idea of reproducing the hull structure and planking in brass with copper cladding for below the waterline. I think it would look best if the brass and copper were given a rich antique patina rather than highly polished. A high polish suits a skeleton clock better than a ship model. I would avoid the masts and rigging completely and concentrate on the hull in all it's detail. My thoughts would be to show the hull in section, either lateral or longitudinal section. Imagine those ribs in solid brass and the planking in brass strips of different thicknesses with copper cladding below the waterline. Here are a few photos to whet your appetite. Sorry but they are not of HMS Beagle but of similar small ships

I found these line drawings claiming to be of HMS Beagle. As you already know HMS Beagle was a one of the Cherokee-class of 10-gun brig-sloops designed by Sir Henry Peake in 1807, eventually over 100 were constructed. The working drawings for HMS Beagle were issued to the Woolwich Dockyard on 16 February 1817

Go for it Zee. It will look stunning in all metal

Mike

PS. Zee, you may need to add a non-scale steam donkey engine, which can be easily removed. Otherwise you and I could be banned from the MEM website for non-appropriate content

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:21:24 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 01:39:58 PM »
Thanks Mike.

I have to wait until I get home to see the pictures. Drat!

Is Portsmouth Navy Dockyard the same as the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - where the HMS Victory is?
When I was on a business trip I extended my stay so I could go see it.

Yes...the rigging will be a PITA. I once did a model of the USS Constitution (plastic). Unfortunately it was destroyed during a move.

To your point, choice of metals for looks will be interesting. I'm lousy at color choice so I'll need help there.

As for the potential for being banned...maybe we'll squeek by if we show setups and machining.  ;D

Or good recipes.
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal