Author Topic: I have a wild hair that needs plucking  (Read 13414 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
I have a wild hair that needs plucking
« on: May 10, 2016, 10:59:39 PM »
Well this is going to be way out there...

In starting this hobby a few years ago (in preparation for retirement...there's that word again) part of the idea was to pursue many of the dreams I'd had as a kid. Locomotives and steam engines is one. Sailing ships is another. In particular, the HMS Beagle which I consider one of the most interesting and important vessels of all time (at least until other people start reminding me of others).

Many months ago I started a wood kit of the Beagle. But after building the hull and a few other features I discovered it was actually not the Beagle. Just something labelled as the Beagle but not even close other than it represented many of the ships built at that time including the Bounty. I was so dismayed I quit working on it.

I'd gotten the book 'Anatomy of the Ship - HMS Beagle Survey Ship Extraordinary'. Which is a big reason why the kit will never be completed.

But then I had a thought that I've not gotten rid of. There are many nights I go to bed thinking about it.

An all metal version. And I mean all metal.

Am I nuts? Be straight with me.

I believe everything is fairly do-able. But the hull has me stumped. And I admit I haven't thought through everything else.

It's obviously a very long term project. But wouldn't it be cool?

But tell me...am I nuts? (About this I mean. I know the bounds of my nuttiness have not been discovered.)

Thanks.

Truth be told. I think I'm nuts. But I can't get it out of my head. I suspect it can be one of those things you regret not trying as you approach  the time of "bummer, too late for anything now".

Not even sure why I'm asking.

I suspect I know the answer.
Be nutty.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
Re: I have a wild hair that needs plucking
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 11:27:05 PM »
mmmmmm    pondering a response.....

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 11:39:14 PM »
mmmmmm    pondering a response.....

If it helps any...I'm well experienced with wild hairs. I get them all the time.

The thought is two parts...the top side with all the rigging that can attach to the bottom side (the hull).

For me...it's really about the hull.

And I should say...I'm not expecting to be true to the prototype. (Can't be. It's metal, not wood.) Particularly with the hull. But much can be hidden.
The Beagle was copper clad. So super-gluing bits of copper plate can hide many sins.

P.S. The model I'm thinking about is about 1/32 scale (as I recall). About 3 ft in length.

But wouldn't it be so cool?

I won't trash this forum if I move forward. But you're all my friends, with experience in metal, nifty ideas, and excellent suggestions.

As I said. A wild hair. But I haven't been able to pluck it.

P.S. If anyone is worried about saying anything on the forum...just PM me. I take (positive) criticism well.
"To work. To work."

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 11:44:44 PM »
I would suspect if metal was the direction you wanted to go then the hull for instance could be made from copper sheet. You could make the wooden bucks and form the copper over them. All the other structural pieces and fittings could be made from brass.
It's not a wild idea just your idea. If you truly want to pursue it then go for it but consider that it could become a multi-year project.
My longest project took almost 2-1/2 years. At times you just step away to catch your breath and sometimes even do something else for awhile.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 11:45:12 PM »
Zee, would it all be one piece? If so that is a sizeable piece of metal to carve out. Might require that new bigger mill  :naughty:

Bill

Edit: from the other responses I assume we are talking about a built up hull....darn, was trying to give you an excuse for that new mill.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 12:08:10 AM by b.lindsey »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 11:49:35 PM »
Brings to mind a favorite quote when seeing a neat out of box project: You have lost your mind, and I hope you never find it!! Its amazing!

It would be pretty neat, I think. Think of it as a steampunk version, what they would have built it with if they had the ability. Having built models in lapstrake and carvel modes, doing the carvel planking in metal would be a challenge, could be done in a metal like brass that you could anneal for bending. Another option would be to form the hull from sheet copper, forming it over a wooden form, like the way copper weathervanes are made. The masts, rigging, would be easy, bar and wire, soldered up.

Just remembered watching the local metal sculpter Brian Wilson work many years ago. He brazed up thin sheet strips to form animals and such. Would work for a hull. Would look great.

So, yes, it is very doable.

And yes, you are nuts, but this idea does not make you nuts in itself!

Offline rudydubya

• Western Arkansas USA
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 12:02:22 AM »
Zee, the Navy makes 1/48 brass models of ships for antenna research and development.  I don't know the construction details, but if I understand correctly the hull is first fashioned of wood and then clad in brass.  Here's a website for one of their shops:  http://www.public.navy.mil/spawar/Pacific/CIS/Documents/Scale%20Brass%20Model%20Fabrication%20Shop.pdf  When I was stationed at San Diego at the Recruit Training Center they had a large brass model of a battleship (as I recall) in the headquarters lobby.

Anyway, you're not crazy, it can be done.  Go for it.  I shall await the pictures.

Regards,
Rudy

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 12:28:33 AM »
I too think it is completely doable.

The method is the madness.    They made plating models in shipyards from wood, laid out the plates, and then transferred those dimensions to the steel plate for the hull.....back in the day.

You could put brass over a wood plug, screw/rivet together?

I read an article in ME from the 50's I think of a man who built a tug with nothing but metal ribs and stringers, and then covered in plate soldered together.

There's two different ways

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 12:35:39 AM »
There are wooden models of steam engines.  They have no heart.  There are  metal model of sailing ships.  They have no soul.  It is hard to imagine that you would get much satisfaction from such a project. Just my opinion but that's what you asked for.

But! There are a number of good model ship building forums.  It might be worthwhile getting to know some of them and float your idea there.  You may find that there is an active brass ship model topic.

Jerry
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 12:49:21 AM »
Very cool fellas. Thanks. Thanks for the support. I think. I don't know if it would have been better to help me pluck the hair.

George...yes multi-year. That's okay. Should help extend my years.

Bill...yes built-up. That's the issue. I remember when I started the wood model how the planks had to bend in various dimensions. That's what I worry about.

Chris...thanks. We may be nuts in a pod.

Rudy...thanks. You've given me some ideas.

Dave...thanks. Nice response. I'd figured on your 1st post you were trying to figure out how to be 'nice'.  :Lol:

Jerry...I understand your viewpoint. The satisfaction comes in many forms. Even if I fall over...someone else may grow the same hair and take it to the finish. If I have anything to do with that, that's satisfaction too. Yes...I've looked at model ship forums. Nothing found in metal so far.

So I could argue my friends here are not helping in plucking. Rather, they seem to be fertilizing.  :lolb:

Thanks all. I'll play with this. Let's hope the hair doesn't fall out on it's own accord as so many have.
My main concern is that it doesn't consume me to the point of not pursuing other things...like the Monitor.  :facepalm2:
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 01:28:46 AM »
If you ever get the chance, go visit the Mariners Museum in Newport News VA, has lots of stunning moels n lots of materials. Most incredible, though not metal, is the Crabtree collection of miniature ships.

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 01:30:08 AM »
Well, I don't even have time for Sleepy Time Tea tonight, but,  here's my thinking : Go for it.  Buy you a 4'x8' sheet of 22 ga. metal,  some snips and some saw horses to lay it down on and get after it.  I have an English wheel,  planishing hammer,  bead roller,  and several mallets and shot bags to form with,  I'd be happy to loan you.  There's some great YouTube videos on hand metal forming.  I vote go forward with it.  I always  follow whatever you do,  so,  this may keep me a round for a few more decades  :lolb: :lolb:.

Toodles,
Cletus

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 01:33:56 AM »
Zee-

You're not nuts.  If you do fall over, maybe the Kozo reading squirrel will finish it.

On a serious note, it's good to pursue dreams.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 01:37:22 AM »
If you ever get the chance, go visit the Mariners Museum in Newport News VA, has lots of stunning moels n lots of materials. Most incredible, though not metal, is the Crabtree collection of miniature ships.

I will try for that. I also remember a great maritime museum in Canada...I just don't remember where. I'll have to search.
There's also the museum in London...can't remember the name...but there was floor with a huge number of ships in it. Wonderful.
I've contacted the Project HMS Beagle, looking for more detailed plans but haven't heard back from them.

this may keep me a round for a few more decades

Maybe the Fountain of Youth? Because it will be decades most likely.

Bob...ha! I'll need all the help I can get. I'll have a talk with the squirrel. I've got one spare nut for him. After that, I can't afford it.
"To work. To work."

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2016, 01:47:45 AM »
Why not? Coincidentally, last night I watched an older British documentary about the last ship built on Clyde. The interesting thing was that the plate shop had a wooden hull model with a grid drawn on it. Each block of the grid represented a single hull plate. It was used as a scaled down pattern for cutting and bending. I'll post the link.
Best,
Stan

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 01:51:16 AM »
Zee,
That's a great idea but where's the engine? Just kidding go for it. Last summer I bought a 33" long PT 109 made of wood. I've been trying to figure out what to do with it ever since. Need to learn more about RC boat stuff.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 01:59:31 AM »
Thanks Stan. I look forward to the link.

I've been trying to figure out what to do with it ever since.

Do with it? It's an achievement. Admire it. Show it off. Send it to me.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 02:06:23 AM »
Zee, Are you nuts? Who cares! I quote again the French fisherman commenting on life," Everybody has the right to live out there own madness....". I think you are really mixing a relatively out of the ordinary idea, with some degree of personal eccentricity. This mix is often a marker of creative genius. Be honoured that you get such ideas and can step outside the box of mediocrity or just the plain average.

I respect Jerry's opinion as stated above but I have to add that I find limiting one's production of 'steam' engines to aluminium pneumatic approximations of the real thing is lacking a lot of 'soul' too. That said, there is much to be gained in going this way to develop understanding and for experimentation.

I am on the very start of, "bummer, too late for anything now.",but am still holding out against it, I hope it is not a delusion. So, Do it, don't agonise over it. Best of luck with all the copper rivets and invisible soft soldering (maybe waterproof modern adhesives might be appropriate nowadays). Regards, Paul Gough.

Offline Captain Jerry

• Summerfield, FL USA
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 02:13:16 AM »
Guilty as charged.  Soulless.  But not heartless.
NOTARY SOJAK

There are things that you can do and some things you can't do. Don't worry about it. try it anyway.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 02:16:50 AM »
Zee,
Just seems like I should build a Packard V12 for it. :ROFL: I'm sure that's overkill. I got it cause I have an interest in boats, ships ect. recognize that I have a lot to learn and the boat is already made and it was $15, probably the cheapest part of the project. It came with a Kyosho Le Mans 360 pt motor, maybe that will make a good engine starter?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2016, 02:20:57 AM »
Zee
This episode of Industrial Revalations has the hull plate stuff about 10 minutes in. The whole half hour is worth watching.
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,6114.0.html
Best,
Stan

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2016, 02:37:33 AM »
Hi Zee,

Yes it's doable.

1st up you need a program such as Delfship which has a free version and you also need a reasonable lines plan, (Hull Profile midships, Hull Plan at main deck level and Body Plan or end on view of the hull)

You use these in Delftship to produce a 3D model of the hull.

This hull can then be run through a subroutine to produce developed plates as well as stations on which to mount the plates.

If you want to proceed let me know and I will help where I can.

Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2016, 02:40:52 AM »
The museum by London is the Greenwich Maritime Museum.  Awesome place, it was the main reason I went to England years ago. That and the beer. Thier ship model collection is incredible. The observatory museum has Harrison's original chronometers. I nearly got beheaded at the Tower for taking pictures in the jewel house. They had no sense of humor.

Offline paul gough

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2016, 02:41:34 AM »
Art, As Zee is going for a metal wooden ship and you are pondering what to do with your hull, might I suggest something a little eccentric. My idea would be less difficult and time consuming than the V12, it is to fit a flash boiler and a micro Tesla turbine. If you go to youtube and  look at the videos by, jonnyq90, you will get an idea of scale and pretty good construction possibilities. The boiler might be dispensed with by fitting a high pressure air reservoir, but steam would be more powerful. Hope this has some appeal. Regards, Paul Gough.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 02:42:40 AM »
Another thought, do a model of the Titanic, as it is now. Just need a bunch of rusty iron and a bathtub.    :lolb:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2016, 03:19:55 AM »
Thanks Paul. That means a lot.

Jerry...good to have heart.

Bob...thanks! Don't be surprised if I call on you. I did play with Delfship. Given what you said...I'll have to have another go at it.

Chris...I'll stick with Beagle. I may get a twofer.  :lolb:

It'll take some time. Things are getting in the way of machining...but I have drawing time.

Wild hairs have a tendency to fall out on their own...but this one sure seems to be tenacious. Like I said...I can't stop thinking about it. The definition of passion. A vital ingredient.
"To work. To work."

Offline paul gough

« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2016, 04:42:48 AM »
Zee, Take a look at this,<<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTOvPes2a8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTOvPes2a8</a> is the sort of thing everybody needs when they have doubts about the meaning of life, or the validity of what they do. This guy is a gem, and you can see more detailed descriptions of his bike on his own you tube site, search; LYN GENTRY or Extreme steam bike finally finished. Regards, Paul Gough.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2016, 11:19:49 AM »
Pretty cool Paul. Thanks.
Like he said...kept him busy in retirement.

"To work. To work."

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2016, 11:33:22 AM »
Hello Zee

A wooden sailing ship made entirely from metal? Are you mad? Are you going nuts? Well I do not think so. What you are proposing is a true stroke of genius, and could result in the most beautiful artist model of HMS Beagle.

I also have a life long interest in the wooden sailing ships of the early 19th century. particularly in true scale models. I live about 10 miles from  Portsmouth Navy Dockyard and the magnificent Royal Navy Museum. I have also visited the Greenwich Maritime Museum on many occasions. In both museums there are incredible models of all sizes in huge glass showcases. Many of these models are fully rigged, some show the hull construction, some are cross sections and some are the half models used to take the lines for constructing the full size vessels. The models are mostly made of wood and cordage, lots of cordage.

Perhaps one particular model captured my imagination most was a model of a frigate made by French prisoners of war. It was a model of a wooden ship but made entirely from animal (I hope) bone. The model was ivory, off-white, in colour with fine details picked out in black ink. The unusual colour did not spoil the appearance of the model, in fact it added to it. I am sure that an all metal model of a wooden sailing ship would also look superb.

The one thing I learned from my wooden sailing ship models is that the hull takes 30% of the time and the masts and rigging takes the rest. I also learned that the rigging is a real PITA. It is so fragile, impossible to keep away from the kids and their pets. It is a magnet for every speck of dust and impossible to clean. The completed model needs to be encased in a huge glass cabinet and where are you going to find the space to display that?

Like you Zee, the idea of an all metal wooden ship is running around in my head as well. What would I make if I still had enough time left ?

I like the idea of reproducing the hull structure and planking in brass with copper cladding for below the waterline. I think it would look best if the brass and copper were given a rich antique patina rather than highly polished. A high polish suits a skeleton clock better than a ship model. I would avoid the masts and rigging completely and concentrate on the hull in all it's detail. My thoughts would be to show the hull in section, either lateral or longitudinal section. Imagine those ribs in solid brass and the planking in brass strips of different thicknesses with copper cladding below the waterline. Here are a few photos to whet your appetite. Sorry but they are not of HMS Beagle but of similar small ships

I found these line drawings claiming to be of HMS Beagle. As you already know HMS Beagle was a one of the Cherokee-class of 10-gun brig-sloops designed by Sir Henry Peake in 1807, eventually over 100 were constructed. The working drawings for HMS Beagle were issued to the Woolwich Dockyard on 16 February 1817

Go for it Zee. It will look stunning in all metal

Mike

PS. Zee, you may need to add a non-scale steam donkey engine, which can be easily removed. Otherwise you and I could be banned from the MEM website for non-appropriate content

« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 08:21:24 PM by Vixen »
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 01:39:58 PM »
Thanks Mike.

I have to wait until I get home to see the pictures. Drat!

Is Portsmouth Navy Dockyard the same as the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard - where the HMS Victory is?
When I was on a business trip I extended my stay so I could go see it.

Yes...the rigging will be a PITA. I once did a model of the USS Constitution (plastic). Unfortunately it was destroyed during a move.

To your point, choice of metals for looks will be interesting. I'm lousy at color choice so I'll need help there.

As for the potential for being banned...maybe we'll squeek by if we show setups and machining.  ;D

Or good recipes.
"To work. To work."

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2016, 02:06:45 PM »
Hello Zee

The Portsmouth Historic Dockyard is a fenced off part of the main RN dockyard. The Historic part contains HMS Victory, the Mary Rose and several fine navy museums, it is the only part of the dockyard open to the public.

This is how Victory looks today. All the rigging has been removed and the hull is undergoing a major restoration. The hull has been out of the water for so long it is sagging and her bottom is spreading, (like so many of us). It is going to take millions of pounds and many years to support and stabilize the hull. I doubt you and I will ever see her fully rigged again in our lifetimes.

Mike

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2016, 03:49:52 PM »
If you're going to build a metal ship model, why not go whole hog and build one that you and T can use to cruise the local lakes and rivers?

http://gizmodo.com/303707/man-finishes-30-feet-wwii-german-battleship-model-prepares-to-invade-poland-soon

Get a duck hunting license and, with all that gunnery, you should be able to feed yourselves while en route.

And, yes, you're nuts...but we expect nothing less.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2016, 04:33:14 PM »
Thanks Mike.

Helloooo Marv! I admit I was a bit hesitant to open the post when I saw your name.  ;D

Don't get me started on that idea. I have come across models like that where a person can sit inside and tool around. And I've thought about it.

I also recall a Popular Mechanics some 25 or 30 years ago where they built a fiberglass submarine. Not a true one. It had pontoons on either side and the capsule was attached to them with hinged tubes. Air comes into one pontoon, through the tube into the capsule, and exhausts out the other leg and pontoon. Used a scuba tank to raise/lower the capsule. I've thought about that one too.

So many projects. But first things first. Finish the Monitor. And after that I have my eyes on another steam engine...hopefully with a boiler.
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2016, 07:43:32 PM »
If you're going to build a metal ship model, why not go whole hog and build one that you and T can use to cruise the local lakes and rivers?

http://gizmodo.com/303707/man-finishes-30-feet-wwii-german-battleship-model-prepares-to-invade-poland-soon

Get a duck hunting license and, with all that gunnery, you should be able to feed yourselves while en route.

And, yes, you're nuts...but we expect nothing less.

Maybe I can make a cover for my kayak like that... !

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2016, 07:49:51 PM »
Marv
Glad to see you back. I thought you had locked yourself away solving the Reimann Hypothesis. Or is it proving the Reimann Hypothesis?
Best,
Stan

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2016, 07:56:25 PM »
Marv
Glad to see you back. I thought you had locked yourself away solving the Reimann Hypothesis. Or is it proving the Reimann Hypothesis?

Oh, that old thing.  I have a really ingenious solution; unfortunately, the margin of this post is too small to contain it. :-)
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2016, 08:02:58 PM »
Hot Damn,  Marv is back.  I had been searching the obits and wanted posters with no results.  Zee,  Damn good,  you bring Marv back , stinking hoppies and mint chocolate chip on me tonight.  Wait a minute;  no wonder your a little,  er,  well., er "Stinking Hoppies and mint chocolate chip " Hell,  tat would screw up anybody  :lolb: :lolb:.

Cletus

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2016, 08:05:38 PM »
Don't get me started on the 'boats' I've dreamed of. From small to large. Guns, torpedoes, rams, depth charges......
RC to get in and drive....
It boggles the mind....

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2016, 08:11:58 PM »
This could be an "epic beginning " With the talent and knowledge on this forum, a collaboration of both could produce one of "museum pieces"

Cletus

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2016, 08:26:29 PM »
"epic beginning "

It's opened a can of worms for me.
Old dreams coming back. Wondering about CNC again. Wondering whether to go Sherline instead of larger machines.
What happened to the 3d printer I have? Where's that laser machine I bought? How can I use this stuff?
There's subs, RC,...

Time to settle down. I've got to get back to the Monitor.

I need Baldrick.
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2016, 08:54:05 PM »
"epic beginning "

Old dreams coming back. Wondering about CNC again. Wondering whether to go Sherline instead of larger machines.
What happened to the 3d printer I have? Where's that laser machine I bought? How can I use this stuff?
There's subs, RC,...

I need Baldrick.
I thought YOU were Baldrick, Marv was Blackadder!

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #41 on: May 11, 2016, 10:39:04 PM »
"epic beginning "

There's subs, RC,...

I need Baldrick.

Chuckle.  Reminds me of an old mathematician's joke.

Noah finally lands the boat and starts onloading pairs of animals.  Most of them get right down to propagating their particular species but Noah notices that the adders are ignoring each other.  He asks his son if he's got any ideas about how to get them to do their thing.

Noah's son takes them over to the table he's been building from logs found floating during the last days of the flood.  He takes the snakes to the table, tosses them on the table top and they begin copulating like they were the last two snakes on earth.

Noah is astounded.  He asks his son, "How in ..., er how did you manage that?"  To which his son replies,

Hell, Pop, everyone knows that even adders can multiply if they have a log table.

Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2016, 10:46:42 PM »

Noah finally lands the boat and starts onloading pairs of animals.  Most of them get right down to propagating their particular species but Noah notices that the adders are ignoring each other.  He asks his son if he's got any ideas about how to get them to do their thing.

Noah's son takes them over to the table he's been building from logs found floating during the last days of the flood.  He takes the snakes to the table, tosses them on the table top and they begin copulating like they were the last two snakes on earth.

Noah is astounded.  He asks his son, "How in ..., er how did you manage that?"  To which his son replies,

Hell, Pop, everyone knows that even adders can multiply if they have a log table.

GROAN
Retired, finally!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2016, 10:48:28 PM »
Ditto...but still nice to see you back Marv.

Bill

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2016, 10:49:32 PM »

GROAN

Yup. He is Blackadder!

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2016, 11:10:31 PM »
Hmm - reminds of the fact that my youngest colleague asked for logarithmic threaded bolt the other day :o  :lolb:

After the first good laugh we agreed that such a beast ought to be very useful in the shop as it should fit both Metric and Infernal threaded nuts  >:D

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2016, 12:02:08 AM »

GROAN

Yup. He is Blackadder!

Hm. I was thinking Richard IV (Brian Blessed).  :lolb:
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2016, 12:50:53 AM »
Hmm - reminds of the fact that my youngest colleague asked for logarithmic threaded bolt the other day :o  :lolb:

After the first good laugh we agreed that such a beast ought to be very useful in the shop as it should fit both Metric and Infernal threaded nuts  >:D

A LOGarrithmic bolt wood need a wooden nut, woodn't it??   :lolb:

Baldrick

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2016, 12:55:50 AM »
And off we go....

:lolb:

All we're missing in this thread now is a recipe.
"To work. To work."

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2016, 01:46:40 AM »
And off we go....

:lolb:

All we're missing in this thread now is a recipe.

So what's the hold up??

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2016, 01:50:28 AM »
Recipe:

1 large stack brass
1 ship plan
1 mill
1 lathe
2 files
3 boxes rivets

Mill, turn, blend all parts
Bake at 275 forever
Yields one ship model

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2016, 02:08:01 AM »
Recipe:

1 large stack brass
1 ship plan
1 mill
1 lathe
2 files
3 boxes rivets

Bake at 275 forever
Yields one ship model

Oh if it were so simple.

But you have a small (read huge) flaw in your recipe. 'forever' = 'never done'
"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2016, 02:22:54 AM »
Recipe:

1 large stack brass
1 ship plan
1 mill
1 lathe
2 files
3 boxes rivets

Bake at 275 forever
Yields one ship model

Oh if it were so simple.

Is it a flaw if it is intended?

Its not a bug, its a feature!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 02:28:47 AM by crueby »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2016, 02:32:54 AM »
Recipe:

1 large stack brass
1 ship plan
1 mill
1 lathe
2 files
3 boxes rivets

Bake at 275 forever
Yields one ship model

Oh if it were so simple.

Is it a flaw if it is intended?

Its not a bug, its a feature!

Yes you're right. It is 'by design'.
"To work. To work."

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2016, 03:18:49 AM »
"epic beginning "

There's subs, RC,...

I need Baldrick.

Speaking of Noah. Ever wonder why Unicorns went extinct:

http://christianfunnypictures.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/noah-gay-unicorn-arnold-ark.jpg

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2016, 06:40:06 AM »
Beagle Info

Bob

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2016, 07:43:02 AM »
More Beagleing

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2016, 02:46:18 PM »
Thanks Bob.

An excellent resource is "Anatomy of the Ship - HMS Beagle - Survey Ship Extraordinary" by Karl Heinz Marquardt. It has highly detailed drawings.
It's the only thing I've come across that represents the HMS Beagle.
There is a lot of stuff out there, drawings, paintings, models, etc. that are really not a true representation.

There is a project called HMS Project which is an attempt to build a full-size replica in Chile. But it looks like there's been no progress for a couple of years.
I've tried to contact them with no success.

While the deck plan represents the overall dimensions of the deck, and probably the hatches (or cupolas?), the small boats wouldn't have been there.

Thanks again.
"To work. To work."

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2016, 05:49:01 PM »
Hello Zee

As you already know, HMS Beagle was a one of the Cherokee-class of 10-gun brig-sloops designed by Sir Henry Peake in 1807, eventually over 100 of these small ships were constructed. The deck arrangement drawings and paintings you find on the internet could be those of any one of these 100 small Cherokee-class ships. No two would be identical regarding the deck plan and accommodation layout. but the hull lines should all be very similar. The Cherokee-class could be rigged as sloop or as a brig or as a barque, so there were lots of variation to chose from.

You are on safe grounds because there is nobody alive today who has seen the original HMS Beagle and can tell you that you are wrong. The truth is that nobody knows for sure, so consider the information in the Karl Heinz Marquardt book to be the best and most reliable information available.

Mike

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2016, 06:53:19 AM »
Hi Zee,

Thanks to a German colleague on another forum I have managed to find what is best termed as a set of generic plans for a Cherokee Class Brig!!

I am now processing this and previous information through Delftship, taking quite a while but at the end I hope to have sniffed out a Beagle.

Will post more when I have a result.

Regards
Bob

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2016, 11:18:13 AM »
Wow. Very cool Bob.

I didn't know this would be catching.  ;D
"To work. To work."

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2016, 07:34:18 AM »
Hi Zee,

Well I've beagled away for a couple of hours or so and come up with a shape that I'm reasonably happy with!

The attached are for your comment.

The fbm file is the Delfship file.

Regards
Bob

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2016, 11:36:51 AM »
Thanks Bob!
I took a quick view. I'll spend more time on them this weekend.

I'd come across a realistic looking model of the HMS Beagle, intended for a museum, by a professional modeler based in Australia.
I sent off an email in hopes of getting more information.
Boy was I surprised to get a reply. Real nice guy.
He said the book I have is probably the best reference I'll find but he's going to send me some images of his model and copies of sketches made by the captain.
The images will be priceless.
"To work. To work."

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2016, 08:46:28 AM »
Well, that's better

Attached are some files I hope you find useful.

Regards
Bob

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #64 on: May 27, 2016, 11:50:33 AM »
The attachments look awesome Bob.
I can't wait to study and play with them this weekend.

It's Memorial Day weekend but I should get some time.

Thanks!!
"To work. To work."

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal