Author Topic: Cheapest DROs for Grizzly G8689 mini mill?  (Read 8145 times)

Offline rleete

• Rochester, NY USA
Cheapest DROs for Grizzly G8689 mini mill?
« on: August 29, 2012, 05:59:43 PM »
After more screwups counting turns on the handles,  I've been considering a set of DRO for the mini mill.  LMS has them, and they're even on sale.  But a bit of searching reveals better prices out there.  Shars has them (apparently the same ones) for cheaper.  Ebay has lots of selections, but having been burned with garbage calipers, I'm wary.

So, who has the best prices on DRO scales?  Has anyone purchased the LMS or Shars models, and what are your opinions on them?

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
Re: Cheapest DROs for Grizzly G8689 mini mill?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 06:49:49 PM »
Not sure about the cheapest...but got them from Grizzly..the stainless version. I've had them since Jan of this yr. I like them very much. I haven't had any battery issue at all. The accuracy seems very good when I checked with a gage block. I made a chip guard for the x axis, need to make one the y, and the z doesn't require one. In the pic the z isn't installed yet. This was when my machine was very NEW !!! I have cut the motor shield almost to nothing left but the front just to have a place to mount the 3 dro's...magnets. I haven't found a better place for them as yet.

Never assume the implied task has been completed !!

Bogstandard

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:28:45 PM »
I gather you are after the vernier type, not the true DRO units.

If you are after the true ones, I have just bought myself one for my surface grinder, a real peach, 1um scales that read accurately to 0.00004" and a Sinpo stabilised for grinding readout. All for hundreds of pounds cheaper, even after the high postage and meagre import duty charges, than here in the UK. Delivery time was only 6 days. I couldn't find any quality difference from the Sino units I have been using for the last few years.

For a complete 3 axis setup for a mill is again hundreds of pounds cheaper.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SINPO-3-axis-digital-readout-complete-DRO-kit-/220523008542?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335832121e

John

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 07:42:54 PM »
Now that I like a lot !! Might just have to review my funds for this DRO system !!!

Offline rleete

• Rochester, NY USA
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 09:44:27 PM »
John, those are a little rich for me.

I'm thinking the vernier type, available for about $75 for the Z and Y axis, and about $50 for the X axis.

So far, Shars seems to have about the best price, but I need to search a little more. 

Offline V 45

• central PA...USA
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 02:23:29 AM »
What size are you looking for? Here is a 12 in IGAGING in stainless. These are what I have installed now on my mill. It comes in a 6in, 12in, and 24in. You can cut to suit length with a cut-off bit in a dremmel tool or a slit saw.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Stainless-Steel-Remote-Digital-Readout/T24361

Here is 24in cut down a little to fit my mill without the chip guard on.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal