Author Topic: Monitor V - Yes, another one!  (Read 73972 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Monitor V - Yes, another one!
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2016, 04:55:42 PM »
And, speaking of Bondo, a body shop guy told me about this. Better than regular Bondo for fine work.

Is that a single part filler, or does it need a hardener like the regular bondo?

Offline joe d

• Montreal, Canada
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 09:01:08 PM »
Single part, no hardener required.

Joe

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2016, 12:41:01 PM »
Four more builds and we have a team

Best,
Stan

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2016, 08:13:31 PM »
Monitor V - Yes, another one!

Episode 3

Next up are the bearing housings for the rocker shafts. I’ve also decided not to slit them. Press fits all around.

After the usual stock squaring, the housings were step drilled and bored to .688.

I had no brass round of the correct size so, a piece of square bar was sacrificed and turned for the press fits in the housings.

The ID was drilled, bored and finally reamed to .501. After cutting the bearings to length, all 4 were pressed into the housings. I did use the belt and suspender technique: 609 Loctite (the bottle says press fit) and the press fit.

With a test shaft in place and moving freely, the keyways were cut in the rocker shafts.

Family shot. I did bolt the housings down and the shafts move freely. I’ll probably spin them with some Timesaver just to smooth things out.

The piece of Durbar CI that I had planned to use for the cylinders was too small but Philjoe let me know that Durabar (about an hour drive) sells shorts and drops.
Looks like a "short" road trip in the next few days.
Best,
Stan

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2016, 08:26:47 PM »
Looking good Stan  :cheers:

Bruce
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2016, 08:30:05 PM »
Also looking good Stan! You and Vince seem to be at about the same place and both are looking great!!

Bill

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2016, 08:45:46 PM »
Rocking right along! Nice!   :popcorn:

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2016, 08:53:39 PM »
You will find any excuse for "a short road trip " :lolb:. Hey guys,  did I tell y'all that when you stop at a stop light in Vern's really sweet new BMW,  the little sh $t dies dead as a hammer,  as  Vern mashes on the accelerator,  the damn thing starts right back up and away you go ; and I mean AWAY YOU GO.  The 4 cylinder,  twin turbo had the seat of the pants feel of a 60s muscle car,  just no glass pack sound  :facepalm:.. . It's becoming a task to monitor all the Monitor builds here  :Director:

Cuz

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2016, 09:01:43 PM »
It's becoming a task to monitor all the Monitor builds here  :Director:

:embarassed: You could come an join me on the triple builds, there are three of them but it is only one thread  :lolb:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2016, 11:54:53 PM »
I love this engine design and nice to see such a good start upon this one.

It's in my opinion one of the more pleasing engines. i.e. when running there is lots going on and they have a mesmerising action and movement to them.  :)

One of these is definitely 'on my things to do list' at some point in the future :ThumbsUp:

Nick

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2016, 01:17:31 AM »
One of these is definitely 'on my things to do list' at some point in the future

As in 'near' future? Do it!

Following along Stan. Why did you press fit/loctite the bearings? Wouldn't the oil cups hold them? Or are you not putting in the oil cups?

Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline bruedney

• Wellington, New Zealand
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2016, 01:55:35 AM »

Following along Stan. Why did you press fit/loctite the bearings? Wouldn't the oil cups hold them? Or are you not putting in the oil cups?

I intend loctiting my bearings in place once I am doing final assembly. Just to take up any sloppy tolerances in my poor machining  :shrug:

Bruce
‘Results! Why man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won’t work.’ — Thomas Alva Edison

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2016, 02:21:01 AM »
It's becoming a task to monitor all the Monitor builds here  :Director:

:embarassed: You could come an join me on the triple builds, there are three of them but it is only one thread  :lolb:

Jo

Yea let's combine 3 or 4 or 5 Monitor builds into one thread and see how confusing that gets!  :lolb:

Offline philjoe5

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2016, 02:27:18 AM »
The piece of Durbar CI that I had planned to use for the cylinders was too small but Philjoe let me know that Durabar (about an hour drive) sells shorts and drops.
Looks like a "short" road trip in the next few days.

Stan,
I think I have what you need.  I have a piece that's 2.35" diameter x 12" long.  I can meet you at the Rough & Tumble gate to save you a few hours of driving.  Otherwise, pick it up at my house and I'll give you a tour of the shop.

Cheers,
Phil
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man.  - Mark Twain

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2016, 03:43:29 AM »
Phil
I really appreciate the offer but I need a number of other sizes as well. Plus, I've always been meaning to get to Durabar so this is my chance. You can actually use that piece when you build the 20X Elmer's Tiny.
Again, many thanks.

Everyone else

Thanks for the comments.
A combined build log might  be "difficult" to follow. Perhaps after Zee finishes cleaning the gutters.
Best,
Stan

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal