Author Topic: Sabre Saw  (Read 4584 times)

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
Sabre Saw
« on: April 21, 2016, 09:08:26 PM »
Yesterday my wife sent me to Lidl to get her a couple of things and whilst I was there I noticed they were selling this:

http://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/SID-4AC0C540-670AE5B3/lsp/hs.xsl/product.html?id=19861507&title=

I can't remember how much it was, but my impression was that it was a good deal.  The only problem is that I never used a similar tool before so do not know if it would fit my intended purpose.

Can one use a sabre saw like a hacksaw on metal?

Vince

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Sabre Saw
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 09:15:39 PM »
Yup, I use my Bosch saber saw for cutting plate stock a lot, just need the right metal cutting blade. For bigger bar stock and rounds I use a recip saw with a longer metal cutting blade since it is easier to use different parts of the blade and to add oil to the cut. Variable speed is a must, too fast and it overheats blade and dulls it.

I could not get the website to load so can't tell what the deal is. Link looks okay, they are just not loading.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 09:23:20 PM »
Just tried the link.  It took a while to load the page but eventually it did.

You can try these two links also:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/reciprocating-sabre-29-99-lidl-from-today-1887697

http://www.lidl-service.com/static/42392627/85969_EN_DE.pdf

Vince

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 09:32:58 PM »
Oh yes, that type is great for cutting bar stock. I was originally thinking of the top handle style that is better for sheet stock. I used to mainly use a hacksaw, but recip saw is lots easier on older elbows!

Offline sssfox

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 10:15:40 PM »
We call those reciprocating saws on this side of the Atlantic.
I attached a picture of what we call a saber saw.

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 10:27:21 PM »
We call those reciprocating saws on this side of the Atlantic.
I attached a picture of what we call a saber saw.

In the UK we call those a 'Jig Saw'   :)

Nick

Offline sssfox

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 10:38:07 PM »
Same here.

The more I think about it, the more it seems that sabre saw is a more appropriate name for a reciprocating saw.

Strange how terms come about.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 10:46:20 PM »
Lots of confusion even when you google.

The one pictured by sssfox would have been labeled on the box as a sabre saw...but everyone I knew called them a jig saw.
Even the one I have is labeled a sabre saw. But I call it a jig saw. Often used to cut shapes. Can be used with one hand.

To me, a reciprocating saw is larger, requires two hands, and usually used to cut 'off' things.

But it's not just a matter of which side of the pond but also what 'part of the country'.

My original home in the mid-west doesn't know what a hoagie is...they have other names for it.
And no one here in Pennslyvania seems to know what chiggers are. Blood-sucking stinking little parasites. Worse than ticks. They don't come in ones or twos. More like dozens to hundreds feeding on you.

Just saw your post sssfox. It makes sense in that it is indeed reciprocating. But such a difference between that and big brother (sometimes called a sawzall).
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 11:00:50 PM »
Here's what Wikipedia has to say: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabre_saw

I have a Millwaukie Sawzall: https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/6519-31 so I usually tend to call a reciprocating saw a "Sawzall". I guess that's kind of like referring to gelatin as "Jello".  :ROFL:

As an aside. When I rebuilt the back half of a 37' steel commercial salmon boat that I owned, I cut all of the 1/8" and 3/16" plate out with my "Sawzall". It worked great! A cutting torch tended to warp the plate, plus left a rough edge to clean up.

Jim

Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 11:11:30 PM »

And no one here in Pennslyvania seems to know what chiggers are.
The devil you say. We had the nasty little (almost invisible) things all over our "back 40" in Centre County. It wasn't safe to go out there
all summer till a good hard frost in the fall.   Thank goodness we don't have them in NM. :-)
   ...lew...

Offline sssfox

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 11:14:26 PM »
I know what chiggers are, but I grew up in the south.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2016, 12:04:37 AM »

And no one here in Pennslyvania seems to know what chiggers are.
The devil you say. We had the nasty little (almost invisible) things all over our "back 40" in Centre County. It wasn't safe to go out there
all summer till a good hard frost in the fall.   Thank goodness we don't have them in NM. :-)
   ...lew...

Ah yes. But that's more central PA no? When I go through there it reminds me more of the midwest than the east.
For those that don't know, PA is a long east/west state. You go from the 'eastern' folk to to the midwestern as you get west.

Glad you don't have them in NM. We don't have them here either. I'd consider moving if I had to deal with those critters again.

My complaint here is the 'no-see-ums'. Mosquitoes (another stinking blood-sucking parasite) are small here. Don't know that they lit on you.
Back home you could tell almost immediately.

But I hear that in Florida they're big enough to carry off the young-uns.

Which reminds me...I like seeing bats around the house. They eat those stinking blood-sucking mosquitoes.
Fun times in the pool having the bats swoop around you.

I thought I'd heard or read that the UK doesn't have bats. True? Do you have mosquitoes?

Did I say I hate them? I hate them. And they're the cause of most deaths and anguish in the world.

Did I say I hate them?

The only good thing about them is keeping bats alive.

"To work. To work."

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2016, 01:34:43 AM »
Blood sucking parasites? That's what we called managers....   :Lol:

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2016, 01:49:32 AM »
Blood sucking parasites? That's what we called managers....   :Lol:

Them too.
"To work. To work."

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 08:05:22 AM »
I've always known them as reciprocating saws. To me a jig-saw has a vertical blade, see att. ...  :thinking:

Zee: Yup, we have bats. In fact I was playing with the local Pipistrelles last night. If I stand at the top of my garden they come to investigate this new thing sticking up on their flight path and I get buzzed.

Often come within a couple of feet of me at high speed.  No good flinching, by the time I see them, they've gone ..

http://www.bats.org.uk/pages/-common_pipistrelle-821.html

Used to have malaria in Medieval times. Don't think it's here now apart from imports, tourists etc.

Not confusing 'no bats in UK' with 'no snakes in Ireland' ??  AFAIK no snakes in Ireland.

Dave

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 08:20:21 AM by Bluechip »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.
Back