Author Topic: Vince's version of the Monitor Steam Engine  (Read 137726 times)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Vince's version of the Monitor Steam Engine
« Reply #600 on: October 12, 2017, 09:59:37 AM »
Welcome back Vince  :)

It is no good  :ShakeHead: once you have polished and oiled all of your machine tools you have to get on and use them or they will feel unloved.

Making swarf feels good... pick a little easy bit of the Monitor and go make it and I am sure you will feel the need again  :ThumbsUp:.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #601 on: October 12, 2017, 10:16:35 AM »
Thanks Jo for the encouragement.

I need something like that to get me off my lazy back side.

All that needs to be finished is the inlet plumbing.  All the parts are there and I just need to cut the copper pipes to length and assemble them.  And then there is the painting which I never look forward to do.  Maybe that's what is holding me up or the thought of the next model which might not be an engine.  Who knows. We'll see.

Congrats on your future retirement.

Vince

Offline Jim Nic

• Buckingham, UK
« Reply #602 on: October 12, 2017, 10:19:09 AM »
Good to see you back Vince.
I really love to see your working so please don't say you're going to finish the Monitor by staring at it telepathically  :Lol:  (I don't have much success with that method myself.)
Jim
The person who never made a mistake never made anything.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #603 on: October 12, 2017, 12:14:07 PM »

The cat is not in the bag yet  :(. I can forsee a lot of screeching and claws being flung before I succeed as the early retirements redundancies are only for the production people, not Analysts like me  :-\.

But my generous nature means I am concerned that some youngster may loose their job and someone who really needs it, who may have a family to support and their entire future in front of them might not have a job :'( and I believe that could possibly do mine. After all I have spent 4 months this year on waiting time with nothing to do and any one can do that  :naughty: and a further four months recovering from Surus's escape  ::).

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #604 on: October 12, 2017, 12:28:48 PM »
Good to see you back Vince!!

Bill

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #605 on: October 12, 2017, 12:53:57 PM »
Hi all.  I'm back. :)

Actually, I have been here for twelve days but still not found enough motivation to finish off the Monitor. :'(

Sometimes, I sit in front of it and just stare at it.  Hopefully I can find a good reason to finally finish it.

Vince

Hello Vince,

Sorry to hear of your lack of motivation but for what it's worth and if it helps I've been the same for the past year.

I began to think that I really would not find the interest to machine again but a few weeks ago I had need to turn some ali for a non modelling interest. I thought that as I had the lathe covered in ali swarf I would 'just' turn the front ends of two crank cases I had roughed out quite along while back. Like you I had constantly looked at them but with real lack of desire to see them progress. Well having turned the front ends suddenly the urge was there - one small bit lead to another and, as you can see, the next thing the cases were finished along with the backplate's and venturi's  :o

That has lead to progressing the Mc'Onie to running stage along with a major start on a long languishing Corliss project. I still have a 'plastic interest' but it has come as such a pleasant surprise to find my machining interests were just dormant and not as dead as I thought.

So - don't despair - we all need a break from things at times and despite what you may feel suddenly, out of nowhere, comes the old desire and the fire is re-kindled.

Apart from your lack of motivation hope you are well and that you're enjoying that 'retirement'

Kind regards - Ramon

"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #606 on: October 12, 2017, 03:10:17 PM »
All that needs to be finished is the inlet plumbing.  All the parts are there and I just need to cut the copper pipes to length and assemble them.  And then there is the painting which I never look forward to do.  Maybe that's what is holding me up or the thought of the next model which might not be an engine.  Who knows. We'll see.

Vince

Vince: You mentioned you'd be gone summer. After being out of the loop it takes awhile to get back to a project, just the nature of life. I'm sure a few days back on task and it'll be fun again. It's so close, and so nicely done.

Thanks.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #607 on: October 12, 2017, 03:12:47 PM »
But my generous nature means I am concerned that some youngster may loose their job and someone who really needs it, who may have a family to support and their entire future in front of them might not have a job

Jo: Some of the best rationalization I've seen for some time. Good job!

Hugh
Hugh

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #608 on: December 09, 2017, 10:33:58 AM »
Well Ramon's start of his Corliss project gave me some motivation to continue with my Monitor.  Also, I need the table I use to be cleared by mid-January for something else.

Jo suggested I restart with something simple and that what I actually did.  I glued together the two parts of the exhaust stacks.

And here they are fitted in place.

Next, I started work on the inlet manifold.  All the parts were previously done.  First I trimmed the bent copper pipes to length.  To make sure that the free ends of the copper pipes face each other I put a 3mm drill in the pipes and glued the other end to the mounting flange.

Next to glue the T-piece but first I will let the glue harden.

Vince

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #609 on: December 09, 2017, 12:05:11 PM »
Good to see you back Vince. We have been "monitor-less" for a while and it's good to have yours back on the active list.

Bill

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #610 on: December 09, 2017, 06:21:27 PM »
Thanks Bill.

Monitor-less.  I like that.

I wonder if Carl is going to continue working on his version.

Vince

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #611 on: December 09, 2017, 09:24:19 PM »
I hope so Vince, he hasn't been on much lately. Work must be keeping him busy at the moment. 

Bill

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #612 on: December 10, 2017, 08:17:39 AM »
Managed to glue the T-piece also.

Added the globe valve.

Fitted the inlet manifold to the steam chests.

Vince

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #613 on: December 10, 2017, 10:45:47 AM »
So this model is basically finished. Just a few minor things to add like some studs, gaskets and piston sealing with graphite string.  I am now going to paint some of the components which means a total disassembly.  I really hate doing this because I am never sure that the model will run again after reassembly.

So I took a video before I break it down.

[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G1PxnPeK8s[/youtube1]

At least this model makes a little noise unlike the Corliss.  There is an annoying knocking noise that I might need to investigate.

Vince

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #614 on: December 10, 2017, 01:12:03 PM »
Vince - congratulations on an excellent runner after what appears to be some serious machining input  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: (I confess I have not followed much on here for some time).

It certainly is a unique design and you must be well pleased with the result - I have to say it's movement reminds me strongly of this which fascinates me immensely - I never tire of watching or listening to it

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toXNVbvFXyk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toXNVbvFXyk</a>

Also hope you didn't mind me posting a pic of my engines on your thread but I thought it would serve to show just how quick 'mojo' can revitalise at times.

Hopefully you will be motivated by your fine result to try something new once you have it painted ( I have to say however it does look rather impressive in it's natural state  ;))

Best Regards - Ramon
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 01:16:00 PM by Ramon »
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal