Author Topic: A 3 Board Photo Comparison  (Read 10414 times)

Offline dsquire

• Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
A 3 Board Photo Comparison
« on: August 29, 2012, 02:09:47 AM »
Hi All

First, This is not about the contents of the photo but about the size.

Second, This post was composed with MS Word Pad in Times New Roman 12pt.

Third, I used Firefox as my browser while making the screen capture and also making this post. It will be interesting to look at all 3 posts in IE8.

Lately (actually for quite a while) photos seem to be all over the place in size. Some posts I just refuse to go any further when I have to wait for the 2048x1536 photos to load. To make matters worse sometimes there are a dozen or more photos. Now the only way to see what is in the photo is to go to the bottom of the page and use the slider to move the photo over then page up to the top, look, go to the bottom again, repeat over and over again getting more frustrated all the time.

If all that isn't bad enough, on the 3 main hobby machining boards that I spend my time MadModder, HMEM and MEM I can put up exactly the same post and it will come out different on each of them. I have made a screen capture. The original size is 1024 x 768. I have made copies of it using Photo Re-sizer in 800 x 600 and 700 x 525. I am going to put a copy of each size in this document using photo-bucket and also using the "attachment" process.

I will also put a link to the post on each board so that you can compare one against the other and see the difference. Your comments are welcomed and appreciated but please load all 3 posts using the links below so that you can compare one against the other before commenting. Hopefully the end result will be that we can all read the posts without wearing out the page down key and the slider at the bottom of the post.

Cheers :)

Don

Comparison Links
MadModder
http://madmodder.net/index.php/topic,7559.msg81024.html#msg81024
Model Engine Maker
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,607.msg5448.html#msg5448
Home Model Engine Machinist
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f29/3-board-photo-comparison-18768/#post193975

Photo 1 700 x 575

Photo 2 800 x 600

Photo 3 1024 x 768

Attachments
Photo 1 700 x 575
Photo 2 800 x 600
Photo 3 1024 x 768

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 02:15:24 AM by dsquire »
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline Maryak

• Rest In Peace
  • Aldinga Beach South Australia
Re: A 3 Board Photo Comparison
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 02:58:21 AM »
Don,

Maybe I'm not understanding, but I can't see what your getting at when the photos are just resizes on the same board using the same software. IMHO I may understand it better if the same resolution of the same photo was shown on each board using that boards software. Also I think a photo of a model may help as one could then recognise what's missing. At the moment a quick glance shows nothing missing just bigger text.

Best Regards
Bob
Если вы у Тетушки были яйца, она была бы Дядюшкой

Offline dsquire

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 03:32:19 AM »
Don,

Maybe I'm not understanding, but I can't see what your getting at when the photos are just resizes on the same board using the same software. IMHO I may understand it better if the same resolution of the same photo was shown on each board using that boards software. Also I think a photo of a model may help as one could then recognise what's missing. At the moment a quick glance shows nothing missing just bigger text.

Best Regards
Bob

Bob

Did you open all 3 Documents?

What I did was to make the full screen capture which was 1024 x 768. I then used Photo-Resizer to make a 800 x 600 and a 700 x 525 sized copy. I then copied them to Photo-Bucket. Next I opened the document and inserted the three different sizes 700 x 525, 800 x 600 and 1024 x 768 into the document. I Did this on all 3 boards.

This is representative of the various sizes that members use. If you look at the details of the screen capture for the top 3 pictures you will notice that the larger the size of photo the less you can see of it without having to go to the bottom and use the slider which is a pain in the __ss IMHO. There is not much difference between MadModder and MEM but quite a difference to the way they show up in HMEM.

Before anybody gets upset, This is not about MEM and HMEM but about hopefully geting better standards for photos for everyone.

I hope this helps to explain it a bit Bob.

Cheers :)

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 07:35:00 AM »
Sorry I am very confused ( not unusual )

evan the last one ( biggest ) leaves room for another one the same size to the right of it ,maybe its more related to the users screen size/resolution than the actual size of the image

I use a 27 inch iMac at 2560x 1440

but on my mac book pro the last one just fills it

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline dsquire

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 08:04:13 AM »
Sorry I am very confused ( not unusual )

evan the last one ( biggest ) leaves room for another one the same size to the right of it ,maybe its more related to the users screen size/resolution than the actual size of the image

I use a 27 inch iMac at 2560x 1440

but on my mac book pro the last one just fills it

Stuart

Stuart

I have a LG W2242TO set at 1024 x 756. This was the setting that the screen capture was made from. With the size and resolution of your monitor that would explain why you could put 2 of the 1024 x 756 pictures side by side.

What I am trying to achieve on my monitor is to have text that I can read and to be able to see the pictures all at one time. If I have to page down to hit the scroll bar then back up to see the other half of the picture then its not going to happen. This gets really frustrating when there are a bunch of photo's in a post. I know there are others out there that feel the same way.

Thanks for your input Stuart.

Cheers  :cheers:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Bogstandard

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 10:19:06 AM »
Unfortunately Don, some of us don't go to the other sites any more, as far as I am now concerned, I have no wish to go there at all.

For me, the only site I am interested in is this one.

That is why, when I answered a post the other day on this subject, it is better for the person posting to sort out the size of his images himself, to make sure they fit this site as best as possible.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,593.msg5270.html#msg5270

I do know you are trying to help by doing this exercise, and I don't want to put you off from helping anyone, in fact I commend you for it :NotWorthy:, but as you can see, it has caused a little bit of confusion.

Because of your technical ability on this sort of thing, maybe you could be the one to explain to members how to use an off site holding gallery, as mentioned in the link, and how members can insert their pictures within the text.

Just a suggestion, not a command. :shrug:

John

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 12:26:13 PM »
Is it possible to configure SimplePortal to automatically resize to 800x600? Computers should be doing the work for us  (a dream of mine since getting involved with computers in 1965 :-)

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Arbalest

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 02:02:51 PM »
Good post Don, I understand what you're saying. It's a situation that I think does need to be addressed.

Some of the forums I visit have a maximum size for pictures and if you don't comply I don't think they load at all?
Other sites re-size pictures to fit.

Arbalest

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 02:10:56 PM »
Plucked at random this is an example of a post that is difficult to view on a iPad due to the size of the pictures:

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,511.0.html

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 05:09:52 PM »
At random huh? :naughty:
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 05:44:15 PM »
I'm just yanking your chain Arbalest.....I'll resize it this evening... ;D

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 01:13:29 AM »
OK .....check it out...it should be 800 x  600

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Offline dsquire

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 01:51:42 AM »

Dave

Dave

Is this the post that you changed the size on to 800 x 600?

If so, they are still showing as 1024 x 768 here in both FireFox and IE8. If you have changed the file size but not the name I may have to clear the cache to get rid of the old version. If you changed the file name then they should show up now. Just curious.

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Arbalest

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 10:10:25 AM »
Dave, you're such a prolific poster (with lots of nice pics) that it was probably a 90% chance it would be one of your posts!  :ROFL:

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 10:47:18 AM »

Dave

Dave

Is this the post that you changed the size on to 800 x 600?

If so, they are still showing as 1024 x 768 here in both FireFox and IE8. If you have changed the file size but not the name I may have to clear the cache to get rid of the old version. If you changed the file name then they should show up now. Just curious.

Don

No I just changed the files size......I'll get on it.....
by the way...it shows up just fine in the thread on my lap top........?

Dave
Damned ijjit!

Bogstandard

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 12:08:54 PM »
BTW, if you press the Ctrl button while using your mouse scroll wheel, you can make your display screen larger or smaller, so you should be able to set your display to show everything on the screen on whatever type of internet access machine you are using. but if you don't use a scroll mouse, I have no idea.

John

Offline spuddevans

• Global Moderator
  • Portadown, Northern Ireland
    • My photo website
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 05:43:12 PM »
if you don't use a scroll mouse, I have no idea.

I do, hold down "Ctrl" and press either "+" ( to make things bigger ) or "-" ( funnily enough, to make things smaller ), and then hold "Ctrl" and "0" (that's zero) to reset it to the default zoom level.

Tim
Measure with a Micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe. MI0TME

Offline ziggar

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 09:10:33 PM »
cant you just utilise something like this plugin ??

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3388

Offline dsquire

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2012, 12:30:29 AM »

Ziggar

Thanks for the link. I had a look at it and it looks like there may be some possibilities there. Do you know of any sites that use that software plug-in that I could go and have a look around? If you could give me any links I would appreciate it very much.

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Bogstandard

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2012, 06:47:40 AM »
Thanks for that Tim :NotWorthy: :NotWorthy:, it solves a little problem with the control I have with a trackball. Getting back to original size.

John

Offline ziggar

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 01:53:00 PM »

Ziggar

Thanks for the link. I had a look at it and it looks like there may be some possibilities there. Do you know of any sites that use that software plug-in that I could go and have a look around? If you could give me any links I would appreciate it very much.

Don

http://bit.ly/NJTtAU

^-^

Offline dsquire

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 09:57:59 PM »

Ziggar

Don

http://bit.ly/NJTtAU

^-^

Ziggar

I tried to follow that link but it redirected me to google and SMF Mod site info. I did have a look around the SMF forum and noticed that you or someone with the same name has written a number of modifications for SMF. I have seen several mods on there that I will point out to the Administration and let them have a look as well. Thanks for now.

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline ziggar

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 10:23:27 PM »
i can assure you that I haven't written any mods for SMF  ;D - not bright enough  :Lol:

if you just have a look around the main SMF site there should be loads of mods that can be used on this site
just need to decide which ones would offer the most benefit

theres also this site might be worth having a snoop about

http://www.smfhacks.com/topten.html

Offline dsquire

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2012, 08:38:03 PM »
Unfortunately Don, some of us don't go to the other sites any more, as far as I am now concerned, I have no wish to go there at all.

For me, the only site I am interested in is this one.

That is why, when I answered a post the other day on this subject, it is better for the person posting to sort out the size of his images himself, to make sure they fit this site as best as possible.

John

Different sites have different restrictions on photo sizes, post's made on one site will not work properly on another site.

http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,593.msg5270.html#msg5270

I do know you are trying to help by doing this exercise, and I don't want to put you off from helping anyone, in fact I commend you for it :NotWorthy:, but as you can see, it has caused a little bit of confusion.

If I have caused any confusion John, it was not intended.

Because of your technical ability on this sort of thing, maybe you could be the one to explain to members how to use an off site holding gallery, as mentioned in the link, and how members can insert their pictures within the text.

I have been thinking of doing this but each of the 3 sites that I am concerned with have slightly different requirements so what works on one site may not work on another site.

Just a suggestion, not a command. :shrug:

John

I guess what I am looking for is probably the holy grail. I would just like to leave my monitor setting alone and be able to go from post to post and forum to forum and be able to have the text large enough to read and the photo's all on the page to see without having to change settings. I don't want to have to zoom every photo to see it at a reasonable size. By the same token I don't want to have to shrink a photo just so it will fit the monitor. I would also like what works for me in this respect to work for you and everyone else even though we all have different equipment. This may be wishful thinking but I keep hoping.

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
and your better best

Offline Farmboy

• England
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 12:05:41 PM »
... each of the 3 sites that I am concerned with have slightly different requirements so what works on one site may not work on another site ...

Surely that's where the real problem lies: if there was an internationally agreed standard which everyone adhered to it might just work, but it seems to me that, with people now viewing web pages on anything from a smartphone to perhaps a 42" plasma screen, it is nearly impossible to satisfy everyone when it comes to things like image sizes and fonts.

I'm sure it would be possible to write code clever enough to automatically adapt web pages to suit the viewing device but as far as this site goes I would rather see the effort going into producing the excellent content which keeps me returning to MEM  :cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.
Back