Author Topic: Hemingway Spherical Turning Tool  (Read 3632 times)

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
Hemingway Spherical Turning Tool
« on: April 20, 2016, 09:10:59 AM »
Looking at their page on this I see they say it does internal (recessing) as well as external (ball-turning) work, but I'm struggling to see how it would do an internal cut. Is there a different tool-holder or something, or has the advert copywriter just got a little carried away?

AS
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum sonatur

Offline steammachine

Re: Hemingway Spherical Turning Tool
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 09:29:32 AM »
Looking at their page on this I see they say it does internal (recessing) as well as external (ball-turning) work, but I'm struggling to see how it would do an internal cut. Is there a different tool-holder or something, or has the advert copywriter just got a little carried away?

AS

Yes, it can cut internal (concave) surfaces. If you envisage how the tool works, the axis of the tool holder is perpendicular to the axis of the work & the closer the cutter tip gets to the tool holder axis then the smaller diameter ball it will turn. If you keep moving the tool so the tip passes through the axis line of the tool holder it will then cut a concave surface into the face of the work. Hope that makes sense, easier to envisage when you see it working than to describe!

Martin.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 11:12:36 AM »
Yes, I get that in principle, but how does the cutting edge get inside the recess - surely the tool holder will stop it going beyond the front face of the part?

AS

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 05:21:42 PM »
Allen there are two attachments to use and one is for internal curves and arcs. The one you see on the tool is for outside balls and arcs. I did a thread on it in tools and machines.

Don

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 11:56:34 PM »
I don't know anything about the Hemmingway  but have done complete hemispheres (even slightly recessed beyond the max dia) with
a Holdridge and a tool I came up with. This was with an aprox. diameter of an inch .
   ...lew...

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 07:51:54 AM »
Could someone inform me of the maximum dia. ball that can be machined with this tool. Paul Gough.

Offline Allen Smithee

• Mordor, Middle Earth
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 08:00:50 AM »
Could someone inform me of the maximum dia. ball that can be machined with this tool. Paul Gough.

Hemingway suggest up to about 2"

AS

Offline paul gough

• Tropical Queensland, Australia
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 08:10:54 AM »
Thank you Allen, I will probably need 3"-4". But this tool looks nice. Maybe I'll build one and then make a big one. Regards, Paul Gough.

Offline chris evans

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 09:24:17 AM »
I have just had some cast iron parts made loosely based on the Steve Bedair (Spelling) design. I have not got round to machining them yet but worth a look as it is very simple. No real need for it to be cast all can be from solid bits in the scrap bin.

Offline Nick_G

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 10:05:41 AM »
I have recently seen similar to this on youtube using a boring head.

Nick

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal