Author Topic: 3-day challenge - engine rebuild  (Read 2087 times)

Offline kvom

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 2075
3-day challenge - engine rebuild
« on: April 18, 2016, 04:51:58 PM »
Now that the paddle engine is working as well as it's going to get before I leave for NAMES, I decied to set myself a challenge to get my Bogstandard Paddleducks engine to run again.  If I succeed I'll cart it to NAMES too.  All the parts have been sitting in a drawer since the last pic, posted on HMEM on Jan. 20, 2010.  I need to remake a couple of the shafts that make up the 5-piece crankshaft, but that's mostly a manner of cutting some 1/4" drill rod to the proper lengths.

The build thread on HMEM is http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=4264 if anyone's interested.  Here's the last pic I mentioned:



One difference is that I will try to replace most of the socket screws with model scale hex heads.

Yesterday I mounted the bearings to the base and aligned them with a long piece of drill rod, then turned with the mill to wear in the shaft a bit.

Today I'm giving all of the brass pieces a short soak in white vinegar to remove the accumulated tarnish of 6 years.

Offline kvom

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 2075
Re: 3-day challenge - engine rebuild
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 11:07:25 PM »
Got it back together to match above pic.  Tomorrow's final day is timing the valves and running in.  The motion is still a bit stiff even after 15 minutes driving it with the lathe.

Offline crueby

  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 9293
  • Rochester NY
Re: 3-day challenge - engine rebuild
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 12:28:40 AM »
Quick turnaround!

Are you going to run in the shaft with any kind of lapping compound or anything?

Offline kvom

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 2075
Re: 3-day challenge - engine rebuild
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 04:54:41 AM »
The crankshaft is built up with 5 pieces of 1/4" drill rod.  I did run a straight piece in the bearings for a while. 

Offline kvom

  • Full Member
  • ****
  • Posts: 2075
Re: 3-day challenge - engine rebuild
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 11:38:10 PM »
I failed my challenge.   :shrug:

Spent a good part of the afternoon making an inlet attachment for the air supply as the copper tube let the plastic blow off.  I timed the valves as per John's notes, but no go with air applied.  I did get a slight kick at one point in the cycle; since it did run in the past after lots of fiddling, I see no reason why it can't be done.  I'm taking it to Detroit and can mess with it during the show.  Car is loaded for early departure tomorrow.

Offline zeeprogrammer

  • Full Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 6387
  • West Chester, PA, USA
Re: 3-day challenge - engine rebuild
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 11:41:06 PM »
Bummer. But still good to take along.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.