Author Topic: Setting your quick change tool post .....  (Read 2538 times)

toolznthings

Setting your quick change tool post .....
« on: April 16, 2016, 10:20:55 PM »
Here is the method I use to set up my QCTP on the lathe to make the least amount of set up on the tools I use the most. I set the compound at 29 degrees for threading, or whatever you prefer. Then I set the tool post face square / parallel to the face of the chuck with a 1-2-3 block.

Now I can position my cutting tools in the holders with no need to move them again. Such as ... threading tool, parting tool, turn & face and all the boring bars are inline with the lathe bed. When I do need to move the compound or post for a special operation it is easy to return back to the original setting with the 1-2-3 block and the compound back at thread position. No need to adjust the tools in the holders.

Offline chrisinestes

Re: Setting your quick change tool post .....
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 11:48:20 PM »
Good idea... As a new-to-machining-guy, I like to see people's tricks. Thanks for posting that.

Chris

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 11:57:57 PM »
I've been enjoying toolznthings tips-n-techniques. Thanks.

Is there an advantage to using the 1-2-3 block rather than just coming up against the chuck jaws?
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

toolznthings

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2016, 02:24:10 AM »
Hi,
I use the 1-2-3 block because I can't get the tool post up to the chuck face with the jaws in the way. Especially with the smaller 5" chuck. The 1-2-3 block is convenient, a parallel or any other accurate block would work.

Brian 

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2016, 06:50:03 AM »
Hi Brian,
 Can't remember if I saw this posted by you some place else, but I started using it & it works great, it makes setting tools square very easy, great for thread cutting. Been trying to work out how to hold the block, then an angle gauge, and adjust & tighten the topside all with two hands to cut better angles.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

toolznthings

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 01:05:25 PM »
Hi Brian,
 Can't remember if I saw this posted by you some place else, but I started using it & it works great, it makes setting tools square very easy, great for thread cutting. Been trying to work out how to hold the block, then an angle gauge, and adjust & tighten the topside all with two hands to cut better angles.

Cheers Kerrin

Hi,
I have posted these tips elsewhere. Thanks for the reply !

Brian

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal