Author Topic: Superchargers on models....can they work?  (Read 11066 times)

Offline Intheshed

Superchargers on models....can they work?
« on: April 12, 2016, 10:05:15 AM »
Having a discussion elsewhere about the use of a supercharger on a model.
My contention is that if you reduce the volume of the blower by the cube of the scale, say, 1/4, you get a device 64 times smaller and therefore likely to do little for performance except perhaps to mess up the fuelling and possibly even have a negative effect.
What think the experts?

Martin

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
Re: Superchargers on models....can they work?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 10:30:27 AM »
There was some experimentation carried out ages ago on 2-strokes written up in M.E.

I eventually    :old:  remembered the author's name and did a quick search. [ Hollick ].

http://www.itech.net.au/modelengineer/index.php

( The specific search link didn't work, looks like you'll have to put it in yourself. )

Dave

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 10:52:17 AM »
But would the engine also only be 1/64th the capacity so the ratio of blower volume to capacity would be the same for full size as it would for the model?

I suppose there are also two types of model, the scale one that mimics the original supercharger and looks right, this will run for display and not be put to work so does not really matter what effect the supercharger has. Then there is the performance model engine that is likely to have a non scale looking supercharger that does increase performance but would look out of scale if upped to full size.

I see some of the 1/5th scale off road models are now sticking blowers onto their engines. I think the power increse speaks for itself

[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bi5h7Tf2BY[/youtube1]
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 11:00:12 AM by Jasonb »

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 12:18:46 PM »
Dean Clarke who ran a thread on making a Supercharged V-12 Two Stroke in the ME site also posted on this site, if you look on (P) 2 of Your Own Design you will find it.  I think he plans to build a flat 12 (? using up the spare parts).
Ian S C

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 12:40:37 PM »
But would the engine also only be 1/64th the capacity so the ratio of blower volume to capacity would be the same for full size as it would for the model?

I suppose there are also two types of model, the scale one that mimics the original supercharger and looks right, this will run for display and not be put to work so does not really matter what effect the supercharger has. Then there is the performance model engine that is likely to have a non scale looking supercharger that does increase performance but would look out of scale if upped to full size.

I see some of the 1/5th scale off road models are now sticking blowers onto their engines. I think the power increse speaks for itself

[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bi5h7Tf2BY[/youtube1]

It's interesting that they use a centripetal supercharger.   it's response is very non linear! ( You BRM lovers know this all too well!) , however, 2 strokes on tuned pipes put the power out in a non linear fashion as well, so it would seem that the result is ideal....    Our team manager is a nationally ranked 1/5 scale driver, I'll toggle him on this subject....but I won't know when I'll get a response...stay tuned...  8)
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 01:07:08 PM »
I am sure the plan is for this one to be fully working, it is on Mike Sayers superb model Bentley engine, I cut the teeth on the internal gears for him on my Mikron hobbing machine as they had to be backlash free.

Phil

Offline Intheshed

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 02:25:19 PM »
Hmm, that Bentley is quite some piece of work, but will that scale blower work AS a blower on a scale engine.  My point about the reduced volume was in connection with the fact that you can't scale nature.  The air and fuel molecules are not reduced by scale and so are likely, maybe (I don't KNOW) to be affected differently by the supercharging.  The thing on the 1/5th engine is designed (with no pretense to scale appearance or size) to suit that engine and clearly does so very well, but then it's not a scale engine is it?  It's a glorified weed whacker basis with tune up goodies. It's a full sized engine in its own right.  Very different from a scale V8 running a scale blower.

Martin

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 02:29:58 PM »
Hmm, that Bentley is quite some piece of work, but will that scale blower work AS a blower on a scale engine.  My point about the reduced volume was in connection with the fact that you can't scale nature.  The air and fuel molecules are not reduced by scale and so are likely, maybe (I don't KNOW) to be affected differently by the supercharging.  The thing on the 1/5th engine is designed (with no pretense to scale appearance or size) to suit that engine and clearly does so very well, but then it's not a scale engine is it?  It's a glorified weed whacker basis with tune up goodies. It's a full sized engine in its own right.  Very different from a scale V8 running a scale blower.

Martin

Agreed.....something to ponder, is the clearance on the "Scale" super charger is probably nearly identical to the clearance on the full size one...so I imagine leakage and blow by may be more prevalent on the scale one ....
Damned ijjit!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 02:40:51 PM »
Yes the Bentley and the RC engines are the two extreams of the model engine hobby where only one would really be bothered about how the blower actually performs in terms of a useful power increase.

As Steamer says its more likely that clearances and friction losses will affect a scale application than the actual air/fuel mix. I doubt that Mikes engines will get dyno tested but quite possible someone has done some tests with a blown and normally aspirated model V8

J

PS Good article by Mike on making scale model radiators in ME mag that is currently in the shops.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 02:49:02 PM »
I have every confidence that Vixen's Supercharger will work: http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php/topic,5142.msg98385.html#msg98385

Mike Sayer made that radiator a few years ago it has been to a fair few Guildford shows that I know of. We are not expecting him down this year  :(

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 05:30:54 PM »
On Mikes other Bentley that is finished and running, he only runs it from one of the two carbs because of similar scaling nature problems. It runs too rich on both carbs.

Phil

Offline lohring

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 06:31:00 PM »
It depends on whether you want a scale blower/supercharger or to add performance to an engine.  In my opinion, most scale blowers/superchargers suffer severely from scale effects, especially in the clearances.  However, there is an exception with piston and vane superchargers.  They are capable of moderate to high pressures with good efficiency in small sizes.  Design for low friction is the main issue.  Some very successful model 4 strokes use under piston compression for supercharging.  Supercharging can work for two strokes as well, but the exhaust back pressure needs to be raised  along with the intake pressure to keep the mixture from blowing out the exhaust port.  A tuned pipe can be designed to do this.  Bigger turbocharged two strokes do this with the exhaust turbine.  The 4 cylinder turbocharged engine pictured develops over 800 hp with nitrous injection.  See below for two and four stroke applications. 

Lohring Miller

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2016, 07:16:33 PM »
Do supercharger work on models? The short answer is YES.

Supercharging is defined as forced induction of the fuel/ air mixture into the engines cylinder(s). There are three types of supercharging currently being used with model engines.

The R/C flying community have supercharged engines like the YS140 FZ. This type of engine pumps mixture into the cylinder using crankcase compression, similar to a 2 stroke engine. The performance gains are modest.

The 1/5 scale model car racing guys employ centrifugal compressors to force the fuel/ air mixture into the cylinders to gain additional power, as we have seen in the earlier video clips. Centrifugal compressors can be made to work at scale model sizes, it is even possible to use the compressor rotor from a small turbo charger. All centrifugal compressors produce pressure proportional to RPM squared, i.e. the power gains only occur at high revs

The third class of supercharger is the positive displacement or Rootes type compressor. The Rootes type blower commonly adorns high power dragster inspired V8 engines. The Blower Bentley being painstakingly built by Mike Sayers and the two-stage supercharged Mercedes Benz W165 engine being constructed by Mike Tull (AKA Vixen) are other examples of positive displacement superchargers being built for true scale model engines. The Roots blower pumps the fuel/air mixture from the low end of the rpm range to the top end, obviously the power gains will be higher at the highest speed. For those, fortunate enough to have driven a road car equipped with a Rootes blower, can testify to the extreme smoothness and effortless power of the blown engine.

The positive displacement Roots blower is basically a gear pump. A fixed amount of air is displaced with each revolution of the pumps gear wheels. In the case of a Rootes blower the pump gears may have as few as two or three gear teeth (lobes). The lobes need additional fine tooth gear wheels to keep them synchronized and so prevent metal to metal contact. In full size supercharges, where the emphasis is on outright performance, the clearance between the compressors lobes is kept as small as possible (a few thou) to prevent blow by losses.

Most, if not all, scale models of supercharged engines are built for display rather than racing competition. When they are demonstrated on their display stands they generally do so without and external load. The authors two-stage supercharged Mercedes Benz W165 engine is a 1/3 scale replica of an engine which achieved maximum power at 2.6 atmospheric pressure, that's +24 pounds of boost. Clearly, this is far more boost pressure than is needed to run the model engine on a display stand. It is not connected to any load, so is doing no work. Therefore I have deliberately increased the lobe clearances in my two stage compressor to make it less efficient and so produce less boost. The inefficient compressor provides work for the engine and the lower boost pressure make the running the engine more manageable and controllable (I hope!!!)

As far as scale is concerned, the W165 engine is being built at a large 1/3 scale, which implies a swept volume of 3 x 3 x 3 = 27 of the original. This is a photo of the 1/3 scale two stage supercharger sitting on top of the full size engine. There are only two surviving W165 cars in the world so this was a rare occasion. It sure looks small compared to the real thing

It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Intheshed

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2016, 07:36:30 PM »
Tuned pipes with a turbo on the end of them?  Doesn't the turbo cause a back pressure that gives problems?  I guess not if that can develop such power, although nitrous seems to help most engines!

The Mercedes engine model looks very promising, but it seems that only the non-scale centrifugal(petal) has any real effect on performance.  The scale end of things being more for show it seems.

Fascinating subject.

Thanks for all the info. gents.

Cheers,
Martin

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 07:37:56 PM »
No turbo chargers that I know of in the scale sizes....but definitely superchargers....ie mechanically driven by the engine not from the exhaust gasses
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal