Author Topic: Modified lathe centers ...  (Read 2179 times)

toolznthings

Modified lathe centers ...
« on: April 08, 2016, 01:51:32 PM »
I do a far amount of small diameter turning work that requires center support ,so I modified some live lathe centers. The ends are small in diameter and allow clearance for the lathe tool.
The larger center in the picture was disassembled and the bulk of the material behind the center point was turned back. Carbide cutting tool was able to handle the hardness. The original tip was left intact. ( lower r.h. view )
The two smaller centers use  ball bearings and new shafts with the center point were made. These are the easiest to modify since the shaft is supported by ball bearings, not needle bearings like the larger heavy duty center.The tips were case hardened. With careful setups the centers run true without the need to grind. The extended length gives room between the tail stock quill and the insert tool holder that I use.

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Modified lathe centers ...
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 02:06:11 PM »
Those would really come in handy. Thanks for posting.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline techonehundred

• Chicago Suburbs
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 04:16:14 PM »
would you mind explaining how you disassembled the center?  I have a center I would love to do this to, but I have not taken one apart.

toolznthings

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 01:03:33 AM »
Hi,

I can tell how mine came apart which may apply to your centers. The center in the lower r.h. view is a Bison brand center and it comes apart from the front by removing a threaded ring.
The other simpler ball bearing centers may have a retaining ring up front or the bearings are just a press fit. Removing the center point was accomplished by removing the rear grease plug and driving a brass rod through the back. I used an arbor press on mine. This drove out the point. Then you can measure the original for fit to the bearing and make the point end to suit.

Don't know if this helps, but I hope it helps you out.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal