Author Topic: COLUMBINE - The Boat  (Read 48488 times)

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
Re: COLUMBINE - The Boat
« Reply #180 on: October 01, 2019, 06:10:10 AM »
Beautiful boat there Robert!
Kim

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #181 on: October 01, 2019, 08:42:44 AM »
Thank you guys for your interest, much appreciated. The main thrust of my post was to inquire if anyone may have thoughts on whether the original launch back in the late 1800's would have been coal or timber fired? and also where she may have been built (I am guessing the South Coast and maybe Southampton or Plymouth).
Robert
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline derekwarner

• Wollongong ...... Australia
« Reply #182 on: October 01, 2019, 10:03:37 AM »
Robert.....a generalist question, however I asked Google...."were Navy Picket Boats Coal Fired?"

The answer is supported simply by the fact that coal fuel would have been available onboard any Principal warship........

Derek
PS...as a second issue, I have been openly criticised for presenting embedded images.........however it is a fact of life that 3rd Party hosting sources can fail  :toilet_claw: either commercially or technically

« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 01:14:31 PM by derekwarner »
Derek L Warner - Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op - Australia
www.ils.org.au

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #183 on: October 02, 2019, 03:05:34 AM »
Thanks for that Derek, I can reasonably assume he boiler was coal fired.
Robert

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #184 on: July 30, 2022, 08:12:32 AM »
It has been quite a while since I last posted on the Columbine build. Well she is essentially finished in regard to the physical build with just the adjustments to the boiler/engine to get her to run, and the fitting of the remote control equipment. AND, therein lies my problem. I have tried many many things to get the engine to turn with the propeller connected. The engine runs OK disconnected. I cannot get enough steam pressure/volume. I believe that I need to totally rebuild the lower half of the boiler and maybe two burners in place of the one I have now. So I am not doing that. I admit defeat and going to “electrify” her with a 12 volt motor and batteries.
The boiler and steam engine will remain for appearances only, so she will be a fake. The electrics will all be hidden.
To see how she floated I tried her in the bath and was pleasantly surprised that she is almost level, I was expecting her to be down at the bow due to the heavy boiler and slim hull. More news later.

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #185 on: July 30, 2022, 10:10:48 AM »
Either way she's still a beautiful vessel.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #186 on: July 30, 2022, 10:41:16 AM »
She is very beautiful in all aspects Robert :praise2:   :praise2:

So I do understand why you are disapointed about not having any succes running on steam - my only thought here is friction between the crank and propeller axle / alingment - but I guess that you have tried it all there too ....

Best wishes

Per

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #187 on: July 30, 2022, 01:06:56 PM »
Hi Robert, great to see another update.  It’s is really looking great, and showing the benefit all the effort you have put into it.

Bit of a downer that you can’t get the engine to run.  We all might be able to make more suggestions if you can tell us more of the symptoms and what you have tried.  Seems sad to give up after all you have done.  You started before I joined the forum but I have read and enjoyed it all from the start on the boiler and the boat.  (Yet to find the engine).

At a guess some more burner fine tuning is I order, though it seems likely that you have already tried everything you can think of.  We are all barracking for you. 

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline stevehuckss396

• Sterling Heights, MI USA
    • Steve's Miniature Sparkplugs
« Reply #188 on: July 30, 2022, 08:30:05 PM »
How about removing all the steam gear and replace it with electric. Then at a later date you might get the urge to tinker and work on the steam gear on the bench. If you get the engine and boiler to get along and runs well it can always be reinstalled as a system. This way you can still take her out on a cruise being fully operational while still looking into and working toward the steam option.
Do not be like the cat who wanted a fish but was afraid to get his paws wet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal