Author Topic: COLUMBINE - The Boat  (Read 48585 times)

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
Re: COLUMBINE - The Boat
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2016, 07:30:26 AM »
Thanks guys for the comments. Don, yes I will be fitting ribs on the inside after cleaning all the foam away and I am thinking it may need a little more glass inside especially at the bow where I had some difficulty getting the foam to my liking. The glass is quite thick at around 2mm/3mm so would be strong enough by itself but wood ribs will look the part.
Robert
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2016, 09:55:05 AM »
It's looking good Robert - bet you can wait to get it hollowed out

Regards - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2016, 01:13:45 PM »
I thought perhaps the way of making this sort of hull would be to cut slots in the plug and fit the ribs in the slots before covering, similar to the way the fuselage halves of the Mosquito are made, although it could be a bit of a bind getting the foam out. It's sure looking good so far.
Ian S C

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2016, 02:07:39 AM »
Ian, I had considered letting the ribs into the foam prior to glassing but the material is quite difficult to work with any accuracy and as you say could have been a task to clean out the foam afterwards.
Robert

Offline Ian S C

« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2016, 01:41:10 PM »
Reckoned it might have been the reason.  The Mossie's are being built on wooden moulds, some of the original ones were concrete, so no foam to dig out, also any glue was on the outside.
Ian S C

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2016, 07:19:09 AM »
The hull stand/cradle is underway with some preparation work on the base and arms. Once again I am recycling some old timber from my patio deck (do not know what wood it is but suspect it is Beanatree). I took the decking to my 'Mens Shed' and using the thicknesser dressed up the faces on the weathered surfaces. It comes up very nicely and I am considering using it for the boat timbers. I have glued 5 pieces together to form the base and I will glue underneath 4 battens to minimise cupping.

Robert

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #66 on: September 21, 2016, 12:40:17 PM »
The dry dock/cradle is now complete and ready to hold Columbine upright for fitting out of the ribs. I love working with old materials to reuse them rather than to provide heat in someone fire place or worst still end up in land fill. The old nail holes were filled with plugs from the same wood, kind of gives a bit of character.

I cut the old kitchen cupboard door of and surplus foam with a hack saw blade. It cuts very easily and was soon dispatched to the bin.

The digging out of the rest of the foam was achieved with a 25mm chisel just by hand,no hammer needed.

The remainder of the foam will come out tomorrow.

Robert

Offline Ian S C

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2016, 03:15:34 PM »
Just wondering, would something like Glad Wrap over foam make extracting the foam easier?  Thirty  or more years ago I made a fiber glass fuselage for a model glider, the mould was wooden, and I treated it with a coating of wax, don't know what happened but about half of the fiber glass stuck to the wood, that took hours to separate, and I never got all of the wood off.
Ian S C

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2016, 02:46:35 AM »
Ian,
I did attempt to line the foam with cling film prior to applying the fibre glass but it was a total failure for me as the glass matting persisted in sliding off. However the foam cleaned of the glass very well and as I always intended to fill and smooth down the inside anyway. So all is good for me.
Robert

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2016, 07:51:49 AM »
With all the foam removed the next task was to smooth out the interior surface, starting with more filler.

I spent a couple of weeks getting the interior to my liking.

A coating of primer changes every thing and shows up all the imperfections dramatically So more filling and sanding.

A trial making of the first rib.

Robert

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2016, 11:32:21 AM »
That extra work on the inside certainly changed the appearance enormously  :Love:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2016, 05:24:58 PM »
That is quite a transformation Robert!!  Looks great.  Is that Ryobi box in the last picture a new saw perhaps to assist in cutting out the ribs??  ;)

Bill

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2016, 06:46:29 PM »
Looks great Robert and the extra work does show your efforts ..... :ThumbsUp:

Bill I believe that's a belt sander.....

Don

Offline Robert Hornby

• Terrigal NSW Australia
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2016, 11:57:33 PM »
Don picket it correctly, I treated myself to an early Xmas present. Cutting all the ribs by hand and sanding them would take me decades. I already have a small band saw so between them the job will be much shorter. I am using recycled decking timber for the ribs but have decided on Teak for the decking and upper woodwork

Robert

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2016, 12:36:06 AM »
Very nice! That sander and the small bandsaw makes a great combination for shaping and beveling the ribs.  On my models I also find a mini block plane handy, have some old violin makers planes for the small curves. I love how the inside of the hull smoothed out, keep it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal