Author Topic: A TALE OFF 2 LOCOS  (Read 24911 times)

Offline Gary Brooke

Re: A TALE OFF 2 LOCOS
« Reply #90 on: January 17, 2021, 11:37:07 AM »
Good morning all I have returned to the project to be honest i lost all interest and the hole lot nearly ended in the bin. Time to walk away and do something different. After atime started to miss model engineering it gets in the blood andtheres only so many excuse for pushing parts out off the way. So here wego again. to get back into it and make sure this is what i wanted iv'e spent the last couple off days cleaning parts for the school class loco and right enjoyed myself so your going to have to put up with my rambling for a lot longer.
Keep safe and well in trying times.
Rgds Gary

Daggers

« Reply #91 on: January 17, 2021, 01:59:15 PM »
Good luck, will be watching with interest.  :ThumbsUp:

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2021, 08:26:18 PM »
Good evening from the loco shop. I've finally goy my act together and restarted first up is not another stretcher they can wait a while. I'm doing the motion plates these come out off a piece of 3/16" plate large enough for them both. Note to self make a left and aright one. The Plate as blued and marked out and mounted on the mill. Clocking it jn took me a while as its something i haven't done a lot off (photo1) Hang on a minute there's a space where i could sneak in the buffer doublers. Using a new end mill I set about removing the waste (photo 2) Think I got a bit greedy well lesson learned till the next time (photo 3 ) after that I put some screws in to stop the little bits flying out when they where cut through (photo 4) Thats as far as i got in this session.

STAY SAFE AND WELL EVERYBODY

Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2021, 09:35:53 AM »
Latest news from the loco shop. First i didn't include a picture off the motion plates so I've cleaned them up they didn't come out that bad. (photo 1) The next project before i can separate the frames are the holes for the cylinders so to do this i made up the back plates (photo 2) these are just some square steel with a lot off holes poked through them. the problem i had was when i came to mark them out on the frames the starting point was in the middle of the driving axle box. You have to think a long way ahead in this game. The solution i came up with was to cover the cut out with paper then i could mark them out.(photo 3)  When the position was found i drilled one hole and left the drill in so the plate couldn't move. (photo 4) Then it was just a case off drilling the rest (photo 5) Another step done.

stay safe everybody

Rgds Gary

Offline Gary Brooke

« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2022, 03:23:53 PM »
Hello everybody its been a long time since I last posted. I've been recovering from 2 heart attacks flashing blue lights and all that stuff.
Thats that out the way on to the fun things. When you don't touch metal rust thinks it can move in. so i can see a lot off cleaning and planing before we continue with the tale.

Rgds Gary

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2022, 05:32:16 PM »
Hi Gary,
Sorry to hear about your recent adventures :(

Hopefully you're doing better and they are behind you now.  It's hard during recovery - they won't let you back into your shop for a long time, will they!  Glad you're getting back to it now.  You'll be able to get that rust under control quickly.

Kim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2022, 06:11:56 PM »
Glad you are doing better and can get back in the shop again!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal