Author Topic: Get a handle on your Quick Change Tool Blocks  (Read 1851 times)

toolznthings

Get a handle on your Quick Change Tool Blocks
« on: April 07, 2016, 01:50:38 PM »

Not an original idea, but something I saw years ago that I think is a really good idea and have adapted it to all my quick change tool blocks/holders. Thought I would pass it on for those who may not know about it.
You will need some all thread rod and plastic knobs with matching I.D. threads.
Mine came from McMaster-Carr. These tool blocks have 3/8-24 threads.
To save later aggravation I ran a die down the length of the all thread to clean up any burrs or damaged threads before cutting off the pieces I need.

Tool block with the original parts removed.

Cut a piece of all thread the length of the original set screw plus length for the ball threads. I usually add a little more per my preference.

New parts ready. I use a jam nut and thin washer above the knurled nut. I use a small drop of Loctite thread locker where the stud goes into the block and snug up the stud in soft jaws in the bench vise.

The old and the new....

On the lathe tool post. These are BXA size tool holders.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Get a handle on your Quick Change Tool Blocks
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 02:00:51 PM »
Nice idea!  Need to see if I can adapt it to my smaller tool holders for the Sherline. When not in use I usually have the holders on a shelf above the lathe with the business end pointing away from me and since many of the tool shanks look the same I generally have to pick up two or so to find the right one. Thinking that color coding the balls would alleviate this issue as well. Thanks for posting this.

Bill

toolznthings

Re: Get a handle on your Quick Change Tool Blocks
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 01:41:57 AM »
Hi,

Color coding the knobs would be a neat idea.  :ThumbsUp: It's nice to have a firm grip on the tool blocks, less likely to drop.  :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal