Author Topic: Shoulder Bolts in the shop .....  (Read 1841 times)

toolznthings

Shoulder Bolts in the shop .....
« on: April 06, 2016, 07:14:47 PM »
A few notes on using shoulder bolts to fixture parts for machining both on the manual mill, lathe or CNC. A good place to see all the types of shoulder bolts that are available is the McMaster Carr catalog.
The first consideration for standard shoulder bolts is the fact that they are under size for their given size. Picture of a .500 bolt showing almost .0035 under size.

It may or may not matter depending on the use, but good to know. Precision shoulder bolts are available with a tighter tolerance. Shoulder bolts are machinable if a modification is needed.

When used to fixture a part I use a washer smooth side down against the part if I have room to work around the bolt. Otherwise you need to file a radius under the head to remove the sharp edge that will make a heavy mark in your part when used without a washer.

When making your fixture it is necessary to make a counter bore to accept the diameter of the bolt. The thread to bolt diameter will not be concentric enough to locate from. Typically any use of threads alone may not provide great accuracy. Exceptions of course.

Example of counter bore for 1/2" shoulder bolt.

I've modified the heads and diameters on shoulder bolts to work in parts where standard sizes won't work. Very handy item in the shop.

Offline chris evans

Re: Shoulder Bolts in the shop .....
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 09:16:37 PM »
I use them a lot for fixtures and restricting movements. Also use them for pivot pins on foot brake and gear levers on motorcycles.

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
Re: Shoulder Bolts in the shop .....
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 01:30:59 AM »
Use to indicate in a threaded hole.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal